Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 09-14-2010, 04:53 PM
Approved Member

Yep, those who follow a hype will never arrive.
I look where i get the most bang for my buck, and that was ati a year ago.
Old 09-14-2010, 05:01 PM
Hecke

Would be great if Oleg would be sponsored and would be equipped with Directx 11 and AA able cards so he could show us the almost full glory of BoB.
Old 09-15-2010, 01:36 AM
Approved Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feuerfalke View Post
No, it is not. It's what nVidia would like to tell you.

As the article says, Crysis2 will be optimized for nVidia and support PhysX, but that doesn't mean it won't run on ATI/AMD-cards. Actually PhysX also runs on ATI/AMD-cards, with no noteable performance-loss - well, it official ran, until nVidia decided to include a blocking routine that deactivated PhysX as soon as an ATI/AMD-card was detected in the PC....

Needless to say, that was a futile attempt. A driver-patch is available on many sites on the internet.

But even if it wasn't, as it was stated here a lot of times: PhysX is used primarily for graphical effects. It's not rendering the fundamental physics-engine of the game. Even the money nVidia gave EA, it wouldn't be a compensation for the loss of potential sales - how many idiots would buy a 400$ nVidia-card for a 27$ game? LOL
I'm prepared to spend in the thousands for my crap to run at its best, I have no other hobbies. I guess that makes me retarded. LOL I spent about 10 us dollars on il2 and another 900 or so just on crap to injoy my 10 dollar investment.

Last edited by Hunden; 09-15-2010 at 01:47 AM.
Old 09-15-2010, 06:00 AM
Approved Member

@ Hecke:
That has nothing to do with the hardware but with the HDR-implementation. Depending on how you model it, you have to set FSAA and AF ingame.

@ Hunden:
No, that doesn't make you "retarded", but it makes Intel and nVidia rich.
Old 09-15-2010, 09:21 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feuerfalke View Post

@ Hunden:
No, that doesn't make you "retarded", but it makes Intel and nVidia rich.
Old 09-15-2010, 06:03 PM
Approved Member

how many idiots would buy a 400$ nVidia-card for a 27$ game lol i suspect most of us on these forums when bob comes out
Old 09-16-2010, 02:57 AM
Approved Member

I never buy the current top of the line GPUs, i usually upgrade to stuff that's in the 150-200 Euro range. The cool thing about frequent upgrades is that the previous series drops in price.

When i got my i7 rig last year i went with an Ati 4870 after a lot of years of having nVidia cards, because as Robtek said it was the best bang for the buck. That particular card was deffective and gave up the ghost last Christmas, but thanks to the 3 year warranty i got a 4890 for free, which i still use now.

I think i won't upgrade again for about a year or until the current DX11 cards drop to the 200 Euro price range, whatever happens first. I don't mind running SoW in less than full detail, as long as SoW at medium looks better than IL2 at full i'm satisfied. The good thing is that Ati is gearing up for the 6xxx series GPUs so i might be able to get a 58xx in about 6 months for a good price.

I don't know about the nVidia 4xx series. They are obviously very powerful GPUs as well, but differences in architecture suggest that unless heavy tesselation is involved the performance gain in comparison to Ati cards is not enough to justify the extra pice, increased temperatures and power consumption, at least for now. When the Fermi cards got released, their single-GPU cards were priced almost as high and ran almost as hot or hotter than the dual-GPU Ati ones and that begs the question "if i'm paying dual-GPU money and having dual-GPU temps and consumption, why not actually buy a dual-GPU card and get the performance benefit that goes with it?". Of course advances have been made, nVidia released more affordable models and worked on the temp issues, but i think they were clearly overtaken during this season. I hope they bounce back, not because i take any side in the Ati/nVidia fanboy wars, but because competition among them means better prices for me.
Old 09-16-2010, 05:11 AM
Approved Member

S!

What Blackdog said reflects maybe best the real situation among gamers in general. In my opinion only a small percentage of the gamers have the money to invest to the top end gear. Even here my bet is on mid range hardware rather than superduper OC'd stuff. Both AMD and nVidia get most of their bucks from the 100-250€/USD range, that segment is that sells most. Enthusiast range, like AMD HD5890 or nVidia 480GTX, is for the benchers and to grow your ePeen

This year and next year will be interesting regarding hardware as AMD is putting out the new 6xxx series and nVidia has been launching it's mid range products now based on the Fermi. I would be dissapointed if SoW favored one brand more than the other as both give bang for the buck. My .02€
Old 09-16-2010, 05:38 AM
Approved Member

In reality what software developers support in terms of hardware is based almost entirely on how much support, and what development tools and assistance, the respective hardware manufacturers make available at a reasonable cost.
Old 09-16-2010, 06:01 AM
Approved Member

I just hope that it looks at least as good as WoP... and delivers the same kinds of frames.. Visually at the moment WoP has no equal in the WWII market.. I am hoping that once SoW comes out that will no longer be the case..