Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 09-16-2010, 12:16 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by philip.ed View Post
I would have loved to have seen this filmed over a 6 week period with a 1 hour episode broadcasted every week. They could have used mostly all of the books details right up until he went to malta this way.
+1

That would have been a far better bet, but you can also bet your life that when the people that conceived that very idea tabled it at the BBC, they rejected it as being too expensive for the level of interest and viewing figures it would generate in the UK.
I'm off work for two weeks, so caught the BBC lunchtime news today, September 15th, the 70th anniversary of the 'Greatest Day'. No mention was made of this at all, and yet we were subjected to a 5 minute report on the propensity of common garden snails to return 'home' every day, as long as they weren't further away than 30 metres from where they started.
I actually complained to the BBC for the first time in my life.
Snails??
For F**ks sake.

Last edited by ATAG_Dutch; 09-16-2010 at 12:39 AM.
Old 09-16-2010, 01:41 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch_851 View Post
Snails??
For F**ks sake.
It's science, sort of (I do understand that snails aren't the most attractive or active animals).

Would you rather have had some "history" theory (communism) or religious theory (from a theocracy)?
Old 09-16-2010, 06:43 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igo kyu View Post
It's science, sort of (I do understand that snails aren't the most attractive or active animals).

Would you rather have had some "history" theory (communism) or religious theory (from a theocracy)?
I have a friend that sees a person who apparently channels the "King of the Dolphins" who, surprisingly is actually from Alpha Centauri (the same person also channels Buddha and the Archangel Michael but that is another story) and apparently the truth about cosmology is its turtles all the way down
Old 09-16-2010, 11:39 AM
Approved Member

Default Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igo kyu View Post

Neither! In a dedicated science programme, I'd've been happy to hear about the snails. I have nothing against snails per se.
I'd also be happy to watch a history programme about communism or a religious programme about whatever.
However this was BBC news, and my gripe was the omission of a report on the 70th anniversary of Battle of Britain day.
The inclusion of snails, but the omission of a mention of BoB day seems to me to be a strange kind of priority for a British 'news' broadcast.
Old 09-16-2010, 11:49 AM
Approved Member

Predictably, my prophecy has unfurled.

Don't listen to the Grognards and Spielberg wanabee's chaps, this was excellent.

Well acted throughout, studiously avoided sentimentality, and conveyed superbly the world weary sense of ennui interspersed with terrible violence many of these pilots experienced, very sobering stuff and moving in parts.

Maybe the fact that it was so understated bothered some, I saw it as a strength. What would you have preferred, Tom Cruise as Wellum bursting into the mess with his Scientology Clown Hat on screaming

"MR PRESIDENT!!! Uhhhh....CHURCHILL!!! We have only 10 days to save Planet Britain, GODDAMMIT!!!"

*Brian Kingcome* I don't like this guy, he's dangerous......

*Cruise* DAMN RIGHT I'M DANGEROUS!!! GET ME THE PRESIDENT ON THE MUTHAF*KKIN PHONE!!!

Etc etc. We are British, after all.

There was a palpable sense of detachment too, you could empathise with why many pilots would avoid becoming too 'close' with colleagues, in the knowledge that they may well not see them the next day. Not all doom and gloom though, some great "gallows humour" moments and laughs too, and more than anything their resolve and fighting spirit shone through.

His 'first Spit flight' was excellent too, the musical score complementing it superbly. Gave a real sense of the elation and joy he was feeling, it was a beautiful part of the film and should be applauded.

Why do flight sim nuts always complain when you see a bit of skirt in a film or drama? What are you all, a bunch of raving GAYLORDS or something? *Not that there's anything wrong with that, of course* LMAO (BTW 'Grace' was well fit, very easy on the eye).

Its drama, and yes "romantic relationships" are a big part of life *Duh*. Me Tarzan, you Jane, and all that. Drama just reflects this. Christ. I give up.

They are all full of sh*t lads, it was very good. Point taken though Phil, it would have been much better as a series, "band of brothers" style, but people (as per usual) are being way too harsh. Yes the book is better (they always are! 'Condensed?' someone wrote? How do you fit a book into 1hr plus otherwise FFS?) For what it is, its well worth a watch.

Ok, righteous and indignant rant over Chaps.

Carry on.

Last edited by RCAF_FB_Orville; 09-17-2010 at 03:02 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 09-16-2010, 11:53 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTE_Galway View Post
I have a friend that sees a person who apparently channels the "King of the Dolphins" who, surprisingly is actually from Alpha Centauri (the same person also channels Buddha and the Archangel Michael but that is another story) and apparently the truth about cosmology is its turtles all the way down
Your mate might be onto something regarding the "Dolphin King" Galway, for are we not all 'Children of Gaia' ?

PS Peace be upon the Prophet Terry Pratchett, Godlike Genius and sad to hear of his illness.

*Sorry for double post chaps*

Last edited by RCAF_FB_Orville; 09-16-2010 at 12:00 PM.
Old 09-16-2010, 12:04 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCAF_FB_Orville View Post
Point taken though Phil, it would have been much better as a series,
So you agree then.

Last edited by ATAG_Dutch; 09-16-2010 at 12:18 PM.
Old 09-16-2010, 01:48 PM
Approved Member

...and we have Sunday Night on the BBC to look forward too!
Old 09-16-2010, 02:31 PM
Approved Member

Ditto Sunday!

Cheers, MP
Old 09-17-2010, 09:26 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCAF_FB_Orville View Post
Predictably, my prophecy has unfurled ...
You make some good points, but why do you have to be so God damned rude? Why is anyone who disagrees with your opinion "full of sh*t" and a "sad b*stard" with "nothing better to do with their lives"? Your moronic words, not mine.

Your Tom Cruise piece is actually quite funny but I don't think anyone here has stated that that's what was missing from the drama. What was missing was budget and vision ... and excitement. Look, we're all flying enthusiasts here, so we're all going to have liked this drama a bit or a lot. But my wife, who doesn't share my interest, fell asleep during First Light. So did my mum. And a review in The Independent says First Light ... "achieved the implausible task of making the subject a tiny bit dull". It just wasn't gripping enough for many viewers, flight sim nuts or not.

There was so much more material in the book that could have been used but wasn't. The opening scene should, IMHO, have been a wide shot of a school cricket game in progress, with Wellum, as captain, in bat. He was a school boy at the start of this whole process, and this was not properly emphasised. Or what about his initial interview, or his being torn off a strip during flight training or watching one of his colleagues get killed on a night take-off during training, or watching his transition from tiger moth, to harvard to spit? Or developing his friendship with Peter Pease only to find out that he was killed soon after being posted to his Squadron? And of course, the incredible story of Wellum's time in Malta and the extremely risky carrier take-off in the Med? There was so much which could, no should, have been included. The bad weather flying scene, his first 109 encounter and his brief trip home were included and done very well, I must say.

The drama was indeed well acted and moving at times. Rubbing names off the chalk board in the mess was particularly poignant. The signed blackboard in the pub was a nice authentic touch too. I also agree that his first spit flight was extremely well done - my heart was racing with his as he was strapping in.

As for the bit of skirt ... yes, you put your finger on it. I am a gaylord and would have much preferred to see Wellum copping off with Kingcome. Band of Brothers didn't need any skirt to keep it interesting, authentic, exciting, moving and appealing to a large audience. It's almost as if the BBC thought they ran out of material and needed to fill it with some skirt, as you put it. My real reason though for feeling uncomfortable is that I have met Wellum twice and felt uneasy for him having to watch some of those scenes which I can only assume were made up as there is no mention of them in the book.

The TV version of First Light wasn't bad, it was just disappointing. However, if it inspires more people to read the book and get Wellum's story as he intended it, then I'm happy.

PPanPan