Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 09-13-2010, 10:33 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by furbs View Post
You will want to watch this...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/tv/comingup/first-light/

His book "First light" is one of the best BOB books ive ever read...I will not be missing it.
It's my favourite BoB memoirs.
The IL2 film I just posted is chapter 3 in my film of the book.
The BBC just beat me to it.
The B**t**ds.

Last edited by ATAG_Dutch; 09-14-2010 at 10:27 AM.
Old 09-15-2010, 07:31 AM
Approved Member

I saw it yesterday.

Worth seeing, used also images from the movie Battle of Britain.
Corsair 12GB 1600 Mhz
OZC SSD 120GB
Old 09-15-2010, 11:46 AM
Approved Member

I am attempting to put my finger on the reasons why, but I was rather disapointed by it. The best and certainly most moving pieces were the visuals and audio of GW himself. I would have preferred much more of him than a drama which, in my opinion, missed too many crucial parts of the book and failed to inspire the viewer in the way the book does. And as for the many scenes with Grace ... I found these both unecessary and uncomfortable to watch and, as they were not in the book, am left wondering as to their authenticity. I just wish Spielberg and his budget could have been thrown at this to make something more akin to Band of Brothers. Imagine a first person, shaky view as GW scrambled to his Spit etc. etc.

I think that Brian Kingcome's portrayal, and the way he treated GW, was unnecessarily harsh. I understand there was a certain aloofness, borne out of necessity to protect one's emotions. However, IMHO having read both First Light and BK's A Willingness to Die, BK's character was over cooked.

Also, although not crucial to the essence of the story, you'd think the makers would have made an effort to get the aircraft markings a) correct and b) consistent, even if incorrect. 92 Sqn's code was 'QJ' but aircraft were marked with 'AI' which has never been used for any Squadron. Maybe it stood for Artificial Intelligence, a nod towards the CGI used?! GW's aircraft also seemed to change in the same scene, for example, the 'lost in a storm' sequence.

I really think the BBC missed a golden opportunity here to do so much better and to inspire and educate future generations about what it really meant to be one of The Few.

PPanPan
Old 09-15-2010, 01:06 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterPanPan View Post
I am attempting to put my finger on the reasons why, but I was rather disapointed by it. The best and certainly most moving pieces were the visuals and audio of GW himself.
PPanPan
Agree completely. As usual, bits were condensed, 2 events fused into one, characters depicted completely differently from the book, Mac and Kingcombe particularly, and 'romantic interest' added as no drama can possibly be successful without some sexual overtones (sorry, sarcasm).
For me, the highlight of the visual part of programme was seeing GW enter the pub for a G&T whilst commenting on the impact it made on him.
There was an interview with GW on Radio 4 about a year ago, which did a far better job than this programme, which is a shame.
On a positive note though, at least the BBC tried to bring those times back into the national consciousness, in a manner which might be more appealing to the general populace than to us.
The squadron codes were annoying me even in the previews last week, BTW!!

Last edited by ATAG_Dutch; 09-15-2010 at 01:13 PM. Reason: bod spilling
Old 09-15-2010, 04:43 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
I am attempting to put my finger on the reasons why, but I was rather disapointed by it. PPanPan
I have not read the book....and maybe thats why I enjoyed the BBC show. Also, I tend to be a bit more "forgiving", when it comes to TV shows and movies....a TV program has to be pretty bad for me to feel let down. I think I tend to look for the good in a production....I dont expect much from Hollywood, ect...so I'm not often "let down".

For anyone who hasn't seen it...give it a chance, its not that bad.
Old 09-15-2010, 04:51 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
I am attempting to put my finger on the reasons why, but I was rather disapointed by it. The best and certainly most moving pieces were the visuals and audio of GW himself. I would have preferred much more of him than a drama which, in my opinion, missed too many crucial parts of the book and failed to inspire the viewer in the way the book does. And as for the many scenes with Grace ... I found these both unecessary and uncomfortable to watch and, as they were not in the book, am left wondering as to their authenticity. I just wish Spielberg and his budget could have been thrown at this to make something more akin to Band of Brothers. Imagine a first person, shaky view as GW scrambled to his Spit etc. etc.

I think that Brian Kingcome's portrayal, and the way he treated GW, was unnecessarily harsh. I understand there was a certain aloofness, borne out of necessity to protect one's emotions. However, IMHO having read both First Light and BK's A Willingness to Die, BK's character was over cooked.

Also, although not crucial to the essence of the story, you'd think the makers would have made an effort to get the aircraft markings a) correct and b) consistent, even if incorrect. 92 Sqn's code was 'QJ' but aircraft were marked with 'AI' which has never been used for any Squadron. Maybe it stood for Artificial Intelligence, a nod towards the CGI used?! GW's aircraft also seemed to change in the same scene, for example, the 'lost in a storm' sequence.

I really think the BBC missed a golden opportunity here to do so much better and to inspire and educate future generations about what it really meant to be one of The Few.

PPanPan

I agree. Although they were on a budget, I can't understand why they had to have the spitfire mark 9(?) and also why a load of scenes were shot in reciprocal, so it was like looking at them in a mirror.
Not as good as the book. A good opportunity missed IMO.
Old 09-15-2010, 05:07 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by philip.ed View Post
I agree. Although they were on a budget, I can't understand why they had to have the spitfire mark 9(?) and also why a load of scenes were shot in reciprocal, so it was like looking at them in a mirror.
Not as good as the book. A good opportunity missed IMO.
Have to agree. Not as good as the book, which I am now going to re-read.

The drama side of it was laughable in parts.
Did anyone else have trouble making out what the Scottish Mac was saying.
And did he have a bad hair day throughout the period??
He did not take off his hat ONCE!! How ridiculous, he even wore it while dancing with a "popsy" LOL
Old 09-15-2010, 05:14 PM
Approved Member

I haven't read the book but enjoyed the Drama/Ducumentary styled format. I imagine that it was presented in a way that would appeal to a wider general viewing audience and, in that respect, I felt it conveyed the emotional suffering and camerade these pilots experienced. 18 years of age and surviving as a rookie Spit Pilot at the onset of the BOB was a hell of an achievement in itself. I wasn't aware of the book but will get it.

Last edited by SEE; 09-15-2010 at 05:18 PM.
Old 09-15-2010, 05:20 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEE View Post
I haven't read the book but enjoyed the Drama/Ducumentary styled format. I wasn't aware of the book but will get it.
You won't regret it, it's a superb book.
Old 09-15-2010, 05:52 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap Loz View Post
Have to agree. Not as good as the book, which I am now going to re-read.

The drama side of it was laughable in parts.
Did anyone else have trouble making out what the Scottish Mac was saying.
And did he have a bad hair day throughout the period??
He did not take off his hat ONCE!! How ridiculous, he even wore it while dancing with a "popsy" LOL
It might have been tradition. I couldn't guess. They were fond of their caps, but whether they'd have worn them in pubs is another matter. I'd have thought it would have been bad manners.

I would have loved to have seen this filmed over a 6 week period with a 1 hour episode broadcasted every week. They could have used mostly all of the books details right up until he went to malta this way.