Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 09-11-2010, 03:04 PM
Approved Member

Default for Saitek users

Recently my joystick is not functioning well. I use saitek st290 pro. I don't use it so often but now it's movements become less smooth. I don't know how to describe this. when try to move it gentle and mooth and slowly it moves sudden and then my aim is thrown away.. like... just about to shoot the bugies to avoid this I then have to use excessive force which makes my arms in pains even I put some grease but it didn't help it worsened become more unstable
So I decided to buy my next joystick saitek x52 and looked some reviews from youtube. after I sow this review I'm kind of confused about the relaibility of the saitek products.

Any comment is welcome

Last edited by wannabetheace; 09-11-2010 at 03:07 PM.
Old 09-11-2010, 03:37 PM
Approved Member

well, this is without any doubt the best review i have seen
Old 09-11-2010, 03:58 PM
Approved Member

The X52 is a pretty decent stick.
You'll learn to love all the buttons you can map with the SST.

Problems:

Deadzone:
Is huge - but can be fixed by relocation of the magnets, i.e. put them directly under the hall effect sensor.

Decentering: Was often caused by damaged wires, later models seem to have this issue fixed.
Loss of center still happens, but a short dis- and reconnection of cable in the joystick base solves resolves it.

Conclusion: Awesome stick for the money - sure the G940 will top it, but at a much higher price.

Rem: Get the Basic X52 not the Pro - they are identical.
Plus it saves you money once you consider a 940.

Edit: Is it possible your ST290 just sticks/has increased friction between the spring dish and the base?
If so, triy to apply some grease under dish.
Make sure it's plastic compatible. (Silicone grease or Motorex Bike Grease 2000 f.i.)

Last edited by swiss; 09-11-2010 at 04:43 PM.
Old 09-11-2010, 08:34 PM
Approved Member

Smile

I posted a while ago a fix for my saitek. I had the same issue I think your having. I took my stick apart and found the wires coming from the joystick to base section shorted to the conduit it was running thru, rite on the edge. The wires are pretty small and the short was hard to see without a magnifying glass. I pulled the wires to one side and gently filed the rough edge all the way around the condiut. Then I repaired the short in the wires the best I could with some electrical tape. Its been working fine since then and I think that its been since the first of the year.

LOL I posted before I watched the video, I guess if you dont have any electrical tape a hammer will work.

Last edited by Hunden; 09-11-2010 at 08:39 PM.
Old 09-12-2010, 02:13 AM
Approved Member

I was considering buying the X50, are they really that bad?
Old 09-12-2010, 02:29 AM
Approved Member

I have the X52 and wouldn't recommend it.

Personally I would wait for the Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas. It will be expensive, but it appears to be very well engineered. It is not available yet but it appears to be almost ready. There is a review at Simhq under Hardware and Software articles.

http://simhq.com/

Last edited by Chivas; 09-12-2010 at 02:32 AM.
Old 09-12-2010, 03:33 AM
Approved Member

I took it apart and checked out the innards. Apparently the plastic joints like to grind away and leave a sort of dust on the inside. After cleaning it out it worked OK again, for a bit, but it still does this every now and then.
Old 09-12-2010, 11:26 AM
Approved Member

I keep cleaning and lubing my Saitek Cyborg X (rebadged as the FLY 5) and have the same problem for the same reasons (my AV8R suffered the same problem!) The yoke components are manufactured using the incorrect type of plastic and it grinds away. Not only does it become 'sticky' it develops 'slop' in the centre position as the components wear. The Cyborg Fly 9 (for Xbox) appears to use highly polished Nylon and better materials all round but more expensive - nice movement but has reliability issues with the 'wireless' circuitry. Can't win with Saitek products and will look for an alternative. Why Saitek didn't use the same materials on the CYborg X (which shares the same Yoke design as the FLY9) baffles me as I would have paid more to have a better quality movement.
Old 09-12-2010, 11:35 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chivas View Post
I have the X52 and wouldn't recommend it.

Personally I would wait for the Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas. It will be expensive, but it appears to be very well engineered. It is not available yet but it appears to be almost ready. There is a review at Simhq under Hardware and Software articles.

http://simhq.com/

Actually you cant compare a $100 stick to a $400+ one - not everybody has that budget.

Plus, when it arrives you can expect it to be full of bugs, since it's 1st series.
Old 09-12-2010, 12:19 PM
Approved Member

I use a 2nd hand Saitek X-45. I've had no problems with it except the spring gets a little stiff on occasion, and the throttle isn't 100% smooth - but I've been abusing it for about 5 years now and it still does what I want it to. From what I can tell the X-45 was maybe Saiteks last decent product.