Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 09-11-2010, 05:15 PM
Approved Member

Crossing the apron at around 50kph above stall, and gently putting it down is the way to go on any a/c, in any situation.
Old 09-11-2010, 05:29 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_Freddie View Post
Crossing the apron at around 50kph above stall, and gently putting it down is the way to go on any a/c, in any situation.
Yup. Another way to look at it is not to try to land at all. Just try to fly slower and slower, six inches off the runway, until the plane touches down of its own accord.
Old 09-11-2010, 05:55 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitter View Post
So I am looking for tips on landing this bird
Splitter
Here you go mate.
I'm no 109 jock (I don't like the heavy elevators), but your post peaked my interest.
So I did a quick circuit and did this by feel.
We start on the downwind leg. You'll notice the starboard wing drop as I cut the throttle, which was a bit worrying! Also that I bung it up to nearly 50% throttle to gain a bit of altitude.
If you go to the actual youtube site you'll see the instruments and on screen flap n throttle settings better.
Hope it helps!

And here's a much tighter and steeper circuit, with a little bounce on touchdown

Last edited by ATAG_Dutch; 09-11-2010 at 08:40 PM.
Old 09-11-2010, 07:03 PM
Approved Member

Thumbs up

I come in at about 300km with no flaps as shallow as possible using as much of the runway as possible. I can usually touch down without bouncing to much sometimes not at all. And then its a fine balance between brakes, keeping the prop out of the dirt and running out of run way which sometime happens lol, that makes it fun.
Old 09-11-2010, 08:53 PM
Approved Member

Thanks, Dutch and everyone else, that really does help (you are using Track IR, yes?). I would take that landing all the time even with the wing dip lol.

My lessons learned so far are;
Steeper glide slope.
Pull up before threshold to level out and hold it.
Keep a little more speed.
Stay easy on the throttle.
A main gear landing is fine.

Very interesting observation on the right wing dip when chopping throttle. I was landing a 109 a bit fast with a heavily damaged left wing earlier today. I was just a few feet off the runway. Just the instant before (or at the same moment) I chopped throttle, the left wing started to stall inducing a quick left roll, I was already at full right aileron to keep it level at landing speed. Chopping the throttle seemed to roll it back to the right just enough and I ended up touching down a just a bit hard on the left wheel and bouncing a bit. This all happened very quickly and I think chopping the throttle might have prevented me from dragging that left wingtip in the dirt. It's not like I meant for it to work out that way though lol. Pure dumb luck.

Splitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch_851 View Post
Here you go mate.
I'm no 109 jock (I don't like the heavy elevators), but your post peaked my interest.
So I did a quick circuit and did this by feel.
We start on the downwind leg. You'll notice the starboard wing drop as I cut the throttle, which was a bit worrying! Also that I bung it up to nearly 50% throttle to gain a bit of altitude.
If you go to the actual youtube site you'll see the instruments and on screen flap n throttle settings better.
Hope it helps!
Old 09-11-2010, 09:50 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitter View Post
you are using Track IR, yes?
Splitter
Yeah, my wife asked me what I wanted for my birthday last year.
She still pisses herself laughing when she sees me wearing a stupid cap in front of the PC!
Once you get used to it it's indispensable though.

BTW see my previous post. I added another clip that'll be more useful. The first one was too long and low.

Happy Trails.
Old 09-11-2010, 11:34 PM
Approved Member

Not a Bf-109, but it's a quite similar procedure.

Everyone else has already mentioned more or less what would have said, so I'll leave it to the video to illustrate a 3-pointer.

You'll noticed that I flared too quickly which led to my plane "ballooning" and then floating on the runway. When this happens you're at risk of stalling and smashing onto the runway, so just add a touch of power to reduce sink rate, and let it come down gently.

Old 09-12-2010, 12:30 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romanator21 View Post
Not a Bf-109, but it's a quite similar procedure.

Everyone else has already mentioned more or less what would have said, so I'll leave it to the video to illustrate a 3-pointer.

You'll noticed that I flared too quickly which led to my plane "ballooning" and then floating on the runway. When this happens you're at risk of stalling and smashing onto the runway, so just add a touch of power to reduce sink rate, and let it come down gently.

For some reason, I don't have any problem with the P-51. Dunno why. It seems to have less "sink" when you flare.

Quick question: Why do you unlock your tail wheel prior to landing? I have always kept it locked in every sim to minimize the chance of a sideways skid on the ground. I unlock it when I need to turn off onto the taxi way.

For some reason, the "float" over the runway seems better than X-Plane. In X-Plane you can float forever in seems.

I also notice none of you seem to raise flaps on touch down. I was taught to raise flaps to reduce lift and put more weight on the wheels for breaking and steering. Does leaving them down give an advantage in reducing speed by drag?

The video with real 109's landing made me feel a little better about my landings . Of course, those guys are trying to land as slow as possible to save wear and tear on the tires and breaks....I have no excuse .

Yeah, Dutch, second video is better. I am assuming you touch down at about 180kph, maybe a touch higher.

Hunden is just a maniac with no flaps and that much speed lol.

Splitter
Old 09-12-2010, 12:33 AM
Approved Member

I find that most people are coming in a too shallow an angle (myself included) and flying onto the runway. We get away with it because the sim is too forgiving and even if we only get into trouble 1% of the time it's ok it only a sim.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotat...ure=iv#t=4m56s

I guess there is no real substitute for proper technique.

cheers!

Last edited by Skoshi Tiger; 09-12-2010 at 12:35 AM.
Old 09-12-2010, 12:56 AM
Approved Member

Just download this ...

http://www.mission4today.com/index.p...etails&id=3102

.. and practice this mission ...