Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 09-10-2010, 12:20 PM
Approved Member

We were lucky enough to see the Vulcan in company with the Red Arrows at our local airshow a couple of years ago. Although the weather was less than ideal, the RAF managed to put on an excellent low level display. The sight and sound of the big V banking around at 2,000 feet, with the scarlet Hawks echeloned either side in a perfect arrow head, was a sublime, not-to-be forgotten experience.

Airshows generate good revenue down here on the holiday coast of south-west England. I enjoy my annual fix of Merlin sound when the Memorial Flight comes to town! But I'm with Tree and Viking here, in that I would regret to return to the age when the V-bombers were on perpetual stand-by with their nuclear payloads.

B
CH Franken-Tripehound stick and throttle merged, CH Pro pedals. TrackIR 5 and Pro-clip. Windows 7 64bit Home Premium.
Old 09-10-2010, 12:37 PM
Approved Member

nice plane, thx for posting it

it looks huge, never knew they were that big for some reason i had expected it to be more in the ballpark of an f-111

the modern day fighter standing between the the 2 old long range bombers looks tiny in comparison
Old 09-10-2010, 03:07 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapatista View Post
it looks huge, never knew they were that big for some reason i had expected it to be more in the ballpark of an f-111
The F111 is huge for an aircract with an 'F' designation, it can actually carry more weight of bombs than a Lancaster, and is almost as long if not longer (back in the 1970s I had models of both, the wingspan of the Lancaster was wider, but then it's wings weren't swept). The Vulcan was an earlier design than the F111, and it's bomb load was also lighter, though probably heavier than the Lancaster's.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avro_Lancaster

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avro_Vulcan

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General...F-111_Aardvark
Old 09-10-2010, 03:24 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree_UK View Post
Thanks for your concern for our great nation, but we also hope to cut back on invading countries illegally and getting involved with right wing foreign policy such as Israel and USA (bush administration). This means we can save some cash and rather than spending it on misery making machines of destruction we can hopefully try and do something creative that will benefit mankind. If we do achieve this who's going to want to attack us?
Ah Tree, showing his usual naivete.

It's not about invading anyone, it's about the safety, security and well being of your own people.

You know, every time one of our nations drops it's guard like this, in an effort to show that they mean no ill will towards the world, a cold slap in the face usually follows.

Not every nation on this beautiful blue sphere is as good natured as either of our countries are Tree. There are those that will take advantage of any weakness shown.

Peace is not secured by laying down and letting the bad guys trample you. It is gained by making sure that the conditions for peace exist, that is by keeping the bad dogs at bay, so the good people can flourish.

I hope that you, and those in the rest of the Western civilized democratic nations come to understand this before it is too late, and our way of life is gone.

Peace.

Personally speaking, the P-40 could contend on an equal footing with all the types of Messerschmitts, almost to the end of 1943.
~Nikolay Gerasimovitch Golodnikov
Old 09-10-2010, 03:39 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch_851 View Post
+1

I'm English and proud of past histories, (well, some of them) but the word 'Great' in 'Great Britain' should be replaced with the word 'Bland'.
I couldn't believe us retiring the Sea Harriers before any replacement was available so that the fleet has no airborne defence bar surface to air missiles.
However, we do have the Typhoon to counter a threat that no longer exists.
What would we do if Argentina decided it wanted the Falklands after all?
That little excursion to the South Atlantic simply wouldn't be viable.
Black Buck anyone?
You are crazy, disarmament always works. Countries are never attacked when they allow themselves to get weak militarily. The UN will take care of everything.

Now I am off to frolic in a field of flowers .

Splitter
Old 09-10-2010, 03:58 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitter View Post
You are crazy, disarmament always works. Countries are never attacked when they allow themselves to get weak militarily. The UN will take care of everything.

Now I am off to frolic in a field of flowers .

Splitter
Hug a Tree for me whilst you're there!

The wooden kind that is!
Old 09-10-2010, 03:59 PM
Approved Member

Thumbs down

The usual pathetic “we keep the world clean and free” speech from one of our brothers on the other side. Sorry but we don’t need it and we don’t want it and we most of all don’t buy it anymore!
Viking
Old 09-10-2010, 04:10 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking View Post
The usual pathetic “we keep the world clean and free” speech from one of our brothers on the other side. Sorry but we don’t need it and we don’t want it and we most of all don’t buy it anymore!
Viking
How so?

Our president will not intervene.
Our military is spread too thin already.
We've told the Taliban and Al Qeada how long they have to hang on until we are gone from Afghanistan.
Our president just gave a victory speech for Iraq without using the word "victory".
We can't even secure our own borders.
We are about $13 Trillion USD in debt which is several degrees beyond broke.

We are one step behind Britain (heck, we just mimicked their healthcare system...). Ya'll are on your own anyway, just the way you wanted it. If something big happens we'll try to sit it out.

Splitter
Old 09-10-2010, 05:42 PM
Tree_UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElAurens View Post
Ah Tree, showing his usual naivete.

It's not about invading anyone, it's about the safety, security and well being of your own people.

You know, every time one of our nations drops it's guard like this, in an effort to show that they mean no ill will towards the world, a cold slap in the face usually follows.

Not every nation on this beautiful blue sphere is as good natured as either of our countries are Tree. There are those that will take advantage of any weakness shown.

Peace is not secured by laying down and letting the bad guys trample you. It is gained by making sure that the conditions for peace exist, that is by keeping the bad dogs at bay, so the good people can flourish.

I hope that you, and those in the rest of the Western civilized democratic nations come to understand this before it is too late, and our way of life is gone.

Peace.

I guess thats the way the Iranian people see it, they know that if they dont arm up soon then israel will probably try to have a piece of them as well. So i guess you have a point.
Old 09-10-2010, 09:04 PM
Approved Member

Saw a Vulcan many years ago at a local airshow. Very impressive. The pilot brought it down to just touch wheels on the runway, then hit full power and took her up again.

Think my ears have still to recover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElAurens View Post
I remember Bush (#2) making a speech round about the time of the Iraq war (#2) when he said that we had to go to war in order to maintain (the) peace.

I thought that was BS then too.

edit: What a depressing way to hit the magic 100 mark
d165w3ll: apologies for the hijacking of your thread!

Last edited by kendo65; 09-10-2010 at 09:24 PM.