Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 08-22-2010, 01:27 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitter View Post
OK, I'll bite....why? Nukes in the 40's meant "game over". Drop one bomb from one aircraft and destroy a city....game over. It's the only reason the Japanese surrendered.

Maybe a final mission with dramatic visual effects? I guess I could see that but....again, why? Not much "game" there. Especially when the Japanese didn't even put much effort into defending against those lone bombers thinking they were recon missions.

Splitter
I think the bulk of the evidence would suggest that it allowed the Japanese to surrender (gave an excuse). It would have been possible to keep fighting (the Japanese war machine was in such bad straights by this period that the loss of a few more cities would only have made it somewhat worse).

I personally worry about the morality of leaving things like nuclear bombs out. The fact is that we did bomb civilian targets very deliberately (and firebombing had truly horrifying effects even if it required more planes to conduct).

Such bombing may have saved a lot of lives (eg. through disrupting industry), but we must also remember it as a tragedy and an evil (even if it is a lesser one). IMHO, It is something that happened and should be recorded.
Old 08-22-2010, 02:17 PM
Approved Member

[QUOTE=Splitter;176260]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skoshi Tiger View Post
Those bombs saved Allied soldier's lives ...
Splitter
Oh my god...
Old 08-22-2010, 02:22 PM
Approved Member

Oh my god... [/QUOTE]

Please elaborate.

Splitter
Old 08-22-2010, 02:30 PM
Approved Member

It is open enough i think.
Old 08-22-2010, 02:36 PM
Approved Member

Not really.

Should we take that to mean that you think it was unnecessary and did not, in fact, ultimately save lives on both sides?

Splitter
Old 08-22-2010, 03:53 PM
Approved Member

1) There were no atomic bombs in 1940

2) Even if it were, or if the SoW:BoB had been a 1945 Pacific sim, I still would not want an atomic bomb included. I don't want a long, boring, unopposed and uneventful mission to destroy a whole city and kill thousands, I want to do daring raids against agaist pinpoint targets.

Let's face it: From a combat flight sim point of view the two atomic bomb missions were extraordinarily boring. They flew too high for being in any real danger from flack or fighters. The aiming of the bombs weren't really that important (though the Hiroshima bomb aimer did a very good job). The flying and navigation was nothing special. The only interesting aspect of the two missions is the immense destructive power of the bombs.

I play this game to fly and occasionally shoot. If I wanted to play God, I'll fire up my old Black & White.

Visit No 79 Squadron vRAF

Petter Bøckman
Norway

Last edited by Friendly_flyer; 08-22-2010 at 05:03 PM.
Old 08-22-2010, 10:03 PM
Approved Member

According to Noam Chomsky, the soviets were already involved in peace talks with the japanese and Truman ordered to drop the bombs anyway, sort of warning the USSR that the USA really had the bomb as part of political leverage.

Yes the japanese armies have done unspeakable atrocities to civilians and captured military personnel but that would've never justified to use two of the worst machines of suffering to punish the japanese people who were just like the german people hostages of their own government.

Dropping them are two of humanity's biggest mistakes ever. Actually all bombing of civilians in any case is dreadful and unethical like all wars are. The fact that I fly a military flight sim is because of the fun fighting other planes. I never bomb cities.

Don't forget Oppenheimer's words: "Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds."
Old 08-22-2010, 10:31 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azimech View Post
According to Noam Chomsky, the soviets were already involved in peace talks with the japanese and Truman ordered to drop the bombs anyway, sort of warning the USSR that the USA really had the bomb as part of political leverage.

Yes the japanese armies have done unspeakable atrocities to civilians and captured military personnel but that would've never justified to use two of the worst machines of suffering to punish the japanese people who were just like the german people hostages of their own government.

Dropping them are two of humanity's biggest mistakes ever. Actually all bombing of civilians in any case is dreadful and unethical like all wars are. The fact that I fly a military flight sim is because of the fun fighting other planes. I never bomb cities.

Don't forget Oppenheimer's words: "Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds."
Well said.
Old 08-22-2010, 10:59 PM
Approved Member

"Noam Chomsky". Well, there ya go. He pretty much hates the US.

Just think these few questions:

If the Japanese were ready to capitulate, why did they not surrender after the first bomb was dropped?
If they (or the Nazis) had developed the bomb, would they have used it?
Were the Japanese training civilians, including women and children, to resist invasion forces?
Was the Japanese government indoctrinating its' people as to the brutal treatment they would receive from American soldiers leading many (including women and children) to kill themselves and their families on Okinawa?
What other options did the Allies have?
How many lives would a siege (a blockade) have cost the Japanese? How long would it have taken? Would it have been better to starve the entire population?
In an invasion, how many lives would have been lost on both sides?
If the Empire of Japan had been allowed to remain in existence, would they have remained peaceful?

Would I have wanted to be in the President's shoes and make the call to drop the bomb? No, I am sure that was heart wrenching. Would I fly any simulated mission in a simulated Enola Gay? No.

However, I really think dropping those bombs was the best choice that could have been made at the time with the information on hand.

I know it's cool to hate the US these days, but one has to dig deeper than what "feels good" and see the accompanying realities.

Splitter
Old 08-22-2010, 11:23 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyJWest View Post
What exactly is 'cool' about a weapon who's only feasible use is against large civilian populations?

There will no doubt be continuing debate about the legitimacy of the Hiroshima and Nagasaki bombings, along with questions about the indiscriminate attacks on civilians on all fronts during WW 2. I don't think that 'cool' is however an appropriate phrase to use about any of them.
You cant be serious we play a simulation of flying and killing now you want to say oh that big bomb is a little to big are you kidding me. lol Cheers WAR is a B!tch and then you die, semper fi.

Last edited by Hunden; 08-22-2010 at 11:36 PM.