Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 09-21-2010, 04:49 PM
Approved Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt255 View Post
I've never been a IL2 online player.

But in Rise of Flight, almost every server uses no icons at all, which is a big plus for the flying and fighting experience imo.

When i fly in IL2, i don't use icons either. I know it's difficult to distinguish planes, especially for beginners (i flew IL2 for the first time since 2005 or so, a few weeks ago, so i consider myself a beginner), but they can get used to it. Especially with the BoB theatre, with german planes using yellow parts on their planes for ease of identification (i guess they had this problem aswell).

Of course i don't have anything against improved icons in BoB, but i would suggest other people to start using no-icons from the beginning and get used to it, instead of switching icons on. It feels a lot more realistic imo and i know it's about fun, but the more realistic a flightsim is, the more fun it is for me, especially in the long run.
+1
Old 09-21-2010, 04:59 PM
Approved Member

I only want a more realistic way of spotting enemies under or above your plane.

It's really frustrating not seeing a contact 500m under your plane because of forest but still you can see enemies 4km above because they are big black dots: like inferior camo was useless.

Usually planes were visible because of sun reflections or exhaust emissions, and on night because of the red hot exhaust tubes.

I'm so pissed off by those single grey discs on your six (yes I'm talking about spitfires' propellers... the only thing I see together with the flames from the side of the disc, that are her cannons when she fires)

A whole generation of pilots learned to treasure the Spitfire for its delightful response to aerobatic manoeuvres and its handiness as a dogfighter. Iit is odd that they had continued to esteem these qualities over those of other fighters in spite of the fact that they were of only secondary importance tactically.Thus it is doubly ironic that the Spitfire’s reputation would habitually be established by reference to archaic, non-tactical criteria.
Old 09-21-2010, 06:22 PM
Approved Member

Nobody, as yet, seems to have worked out how to simulate the human eye.

I think visual cues as already mentioned would be good, a quick flash of reflected light or a slight flicker of movement down low would be good.

And when is somebody going to introduce a padlock view that only keeps lock on as long as you have line of sight from the cockpit (apologies if someone already has) whatever view you use.
Old 09-21-2010, 07:40 PM
Approved Member

Winny, IL2 Does. if the padlocked a/c disapears for a couple of seconds behind a cocpit bar or somewhere else it gets unlocked.

cheers
Schallmoser
Old 09-21-2010, 07:46 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schallmoser View Post
Winny, IL2 Does. if the padlocked a/c disapears for a couple of seconds behind a cocpit bar or somewhere else it gets unlocked.

cheers
Schallmoser
Lol.. as with most good ideas.. Someone already thought of it.. I'll be quiet.
Old 09-21-2010, 09:20 PM
Approved Member

Some people may not be aware, but IL-2 already has a custom icons feature that can be set by the server (online) or by the player (offline). I've been using custom icons in my coops for many years.
Here is a simple tutorial on how to do it:

http://www.il2-fullmissionbuilder.co...b2cef688e074ae

Also:

ECV56_Lancelot stated--->

"Maybe, just as an idea, a good option would be that you have to press a key to see the icons, and keep it pressed to keep the icons on. When you release the key the icons fade away."

IL-2 already has the 'Toggle Icon Types' command, which basically does exactly that, except it is a 4-stage toggle. The player can toggle 3 stages of icon visibility or totally disable them. That pretty much achieves what Lancelot was requesting. *If you have some sort of joystick mapping software, like CH Manager, you could easily set up a macro command that does EXACTLY what Lancelot was requesting.....

Aviar
NVIDIA GTX 760 - 2GB
Creative SB ZX SBX
Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
27" AOC LED - 2752
Logitech G15 Gaming Keyboard
CH FighterStick-Pro Throttle-Pro Pedals
Logitech G13 Gameboard
GoFlight GF-T8 Module
WIN 8.1

Last edited by Aviar; 09-22-2010 at 06:52 AM.
Old 09-22-2010, 08:48 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6S.Manu View Post

It's really frustrating not seeing a contact 500m under your plane because of forest but still you can see enemies 4km above because they are big black dots: like inferior camo was useless.

Sounds realistic to me
Old 09-22-2010, 08:48 AM
Approved Member

If you still want the functionality of icons but with less impact on your imersion, how about only showing the icons when the aircraft is in the center of your vision - so you need to be actually looking and concentrating at the aircraft to identify it.
You could even have it so the icons for the plane in the center of vison are only shown when your holding down a mapped a key?

Cheers
Old 09-22-2010, 12:52 PM
Approved Member

I'm not a purist, but I don't like icons of any kind.

Let the user turn them on, turn them off or adjust them in stages, I don't care as long as I can turn them off and force them off on a hosted server I'll be cool.

IFF is important and not knowing profiles or markings is inexcusable IMO.
Old 09-22-2010, 01:01 PM
Approved Member

ICON only optional in the game .
i real ww2 i noot loock the icons i loock the instrumentation in real ww2 airplane i not have gps i have the chart map i real ww2 airplane i not have the electronic instrumentation.
the real ww2 is all meccanic structure not eletronic.
in real ww2 airplane i not have the airplane prexurizaction and i not have the perfect orietation.