Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 07-10-2010, 10:38 AM
Approved Member

All I require from icons is the ability to shut them off.
Old 07-10-2010, 02:01 PM
Approved Member

I think an adjustment to "icons" for those that use them is certainly in order.

However, more impotantly for me, would be a huge improvement to "dots" and LOD's(which was mentioned earlier) since I prefer to fly with no icons.

I think improving the changeover from Dots to LOD's is the key and it needs to be self scaling depending on the resolution you are using. I currently have to fly in 720P on a 1080P monitor so I can see dots correctly and long distances because of the way they are currently moddeled at low res. We shouldn't have to do that with todays technology and high resolutions.

My 2 cents...
Old 07-13-2010, 02:47 AM
Approved Member

Smile

I am new to il2, 6 months now and i have not used icons, ever, it is a killer of realism to me. I do however use my map when i have to and every view that i can to help spot enemy. I know not so real either but not so bad as icons in the sky killing the mood.
Old 07-13-2010, 09:14 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunden View Post
I am new to il2, 6 months now and i have not used icons, ever, it is a killer of realism to me. I do however use my map when i have to and every view that i can to help spot enemy. I know not so real either but not so bad as icons in the sky killing the mood.
Impressive! I also started playing about 8 months ago, but still prefer to play with icons- mostly to relieve eye strain. Although I switched of map icon as those kill the suspense/surprise factor for me

Another aid with target identification would e a button that when pressed would prompt your (obviously all seeing) AI wingman to report the position of the enemy- as coordinates on a map ( eg " enemy in square Q-10"), an also its relative position (eg 3 o'clock - like its currently implemented in IL2) and its altitude. The main point is for this to happen ON DEMAND from a player eg at a press of a button, or at least to have that option.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:06 PM
Approved Member

Uhmm, interesting. Maybe, just as an idea, a good option would be that you have to press a key to see the icons, and keep it pressed to keep the icons on. When you release the key the icons fade away. This way its a momentary trade off you give to the beginner to know which aircraft is which, and the distance.
And also may help the newbies to start to learn by the size of the plane the distance of the aircraft.
Beside that, it should be configurable like in IL-2 if you want color to give a diference between friend or foe, ro want to see all icons on the same color making necesary learn the aircraft designation to know if enemy or friendly.
Old 07-13-2010, 11:24 PM
Approved Member

I also agree that the option to press a buttyton for momentarilly icons (and limited to a certain "cone" maybe), is the best compormise. You have inmersion all of the time but the information you might want (or need) at the touch of a button....
Old 07-14-2010, 02:08 AM
Approved Member

I do not use icons, but then again I also turn off the chat and the LHS speedbar and the RHS HUD display.
Old 07-14-2010, 07:59 PM
Approved Member

I think this is an important area - if well realised, it could open this simulation up to a whole new crowd. I don't use icons myself, however I can understand how necessary they are.

Some thoughts from me.

Player refers to us, pilot refers to the character the player is controlling.

Bogie at your 9 o'clock, 2km away. No icon shows up until the player actually bring the dot into his vision for an appropriate time - dependent on difficulty level: for example 'easy' being 1 second, 'hard' being three or more, the idea being to prevent players simply flicking around all the views and 'lighting up their radar', so to speak. The time delay involved with having the dot in view corresponds to the pilot 'searching for it'.

Once 'noticed', the icon/dot/indicator (as yet, unrecognised, merely noted) can remain on the edge of screen for a relative time corresponding with blind spots in the aircraft and again difficulty level. At some point, if the dot occupies a blind spot for long enough or the player simply does not look in that direction again, then the icon disappears, as the pilot can no longer be sure where that previously sighted aircraft is.

Then I'd suggest that the dot does not become recognised until it has been stared at for a time dependent on difficulty level and distance. Once these factors are satisfied, then it could be revealed as either friendly, enemy, or perhaps unknown.

Again, difficulty levels could determine how much info is given once recognition is achieved.

Just thoughts, you understand. Good thread.
Old 09-21-2010, 04:46 PM
Approved Member

I wonder if the devs saw this thread?...

Mr Oleg Maddox, please see this!
Old 09-21-2010, 05:16 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borsch View Post
Impressive! I also started playing about 8 months ago, but still prefer to play with icons- mostly to relieve eye strain. Although I switched of map icon as those kill the suspense/surprise factor for me

Another aid with target identification would e a button that when pressed would prompt your (obviously all seeing) AI wingman to report the position of the enemy- as coordinates on a map ( eg " enemy in square Q-10"), an also its relative position (eg 3 o'clock - like its currently implemented in IL2) and its altitude. The main point is for this to happen ON DEMAND from a player eg at a press of a button, or at least to have that option.
One has to think there are observers on the ground and squad mates in the air. I think the ability to get vectored to the enemy (not 100% accurate in all circumstances though) would add to realism rather than take away from it.

I am thinking of my current stock campaign in the Crimea and many missions are flown over friendly territory or close to the line of battle. It would be realistic to assume that reports could get to the pilot about enemy planes being spotted. Maybe the information is old, maybe it is incomplete or inaccurate at times, but having it there would be a blast.

Splitter