Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 01-19-2014, 06:51 PM
Approved Member

Lag roll sets you up for side attacks.
Sorry Gunz, you'll have to explain that one! Assuming I'm incomming on his six.....
Old 01-19-2014, 07:02 PM
Approved Member

If you coming on his six with more E and he turns you can setup attack with lag roll. Key thing is that you need to do it on right time not too late.MAXGUNZ is right that if you see that you will overshoot then you need to do something else. No single attack will make the difference if target is aware of you. Lag Roll is usable on some situations but not for all.

Last edited by Masi67; 01-19-2014 at 07:06 PM.
Old 01-20-2014, 12:47 AM
Approved Member

I still have my copy of Shaw's book. IIRC the lag roll attack diagram only has so many steps.

But you can use the tactic to stay behind a plane that is moving enough slower that you can zoom significantly higher, sorry for the lame grammar there.

Yes about THE difference though sometimes you get lucky. You might go from one ACM to another and back to the first in a single engagement.

How many of you use BCM's and ACM's just to get in position to start an attack as opposed to going straight in and then figuring your angles and energy?

If anyone can find the old Air Warrior player Bullethead, he had the whole energy fighting bag wrapped up very well. His tactics pages used to be up on Delphi and wow, distilled know-how. Once you learn his way, you won't ever want to turn fight again! The community lost a lot when those pages went down.
Old 01-20-2014, 11:52 AM
Approved Member

Found this: http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/f...or/awtaman.txt
which is HOW TO FLY AND FIGHT IN AIR WARRIOR, v3/21/1997
From wikipedia, it states that it cost $10 an hour to play, hmmm....Article referenced is some kind of manual, lots of it. Several mentions of "sissy like" behaviour which are not to be encouraged online. Didn't see anything about lag rolls tho....
Old 01-20-2014, 02:18 PM
Approved Member

Bullethead's pages covered energy fighting far more and better. Most all of the same material can be found in Shaw's book but in Shaw the pieces are more spread out and a harder read. Reading Shaw is a bit like chewing a brick, it takes longer to swallow and longer still to digest.

Bullethead outlined such energy tactics as "Rope-a-Dope" and "Dancing on his head".
Old 01-21-2014, 06:22 PM
Approved Member

If you ever find his stuff stick up a link, I'll give it a read. I know what you mean about Shaw, if I can't sleep I'll read a few pages, works every time. I wonder if learning stuff by rote is much help sometimes in the heat of the moment, one thing in this game that's widly historically inaccurate is not flying with at least a wingman and having to deal with an organised opposition of at least a pair. Rope a dope is fine 1v1 but 1v2?
Old 01-28-2014, 07:58 PM
Registered Member

http://gabi-laser.blogspot.com/2011/...ctics-and.html

This should do it.
Old 01-29-2014, 02:00 AM
Approved Member

AYE! THAT'S IT! THE DEAD HAS BEEN RAISED!

Wow Pickle, either you had a copy or your search skills are a freakin wonder!
Old 01-29-2014, 02:46 PM
Registered Member

No just lucky
I just happen to log on to this forum because I am looking into getting COD. I came across this discussion and remembered that article from my warbird days. Just did a search for "bullethead energy tactics" and it was the first in the Google list.

I had forgotten how great an article that was. Much better than Shaws book (not that it was bad, just long) that I have buried somewhere in the garage.