Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 12-20-2013, 04:22 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by majorfailure View Post
What about the guys that knew what hit them? I'd say if this gives us anything then it is: Defensive maneuvres CAN work. But there is a counter to any defensive maneuvre, and if the attacker guesses right you are toast anyway. You can sit in the best rolling plane in this game and get the timings of your rolling scissors absolutely brilliantly right - and the enemy makes a no-nonsense cut across your manuvre and you're dead anyway.
The guys that knew what hit them were a small minority. I'm not finding a quote unfortuntely, but I think it was something like 85% or so who first knew anything was wrong when bullets started arriving. The reports were from interviews with survivors.

The enemy can get lucky with guessing which way you're turning and rolling, but if you're evasive with no counter attack, then they're not that close, the turn means they have to lead, and the roll means they need to lead the roll and maintain their distance, altogether it's just not doable without a lot of luck. Of course, two attackers against one is not half so easy for the defender.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flanker1985 View Post
It's just since the 4.11, the developing team upgraded the AI, and now the AI planes are not stupid anymore
I'm still using 4.07 (I have 4.08 somewhere, but there's a reason for not using it, I forget what it is, but there was something). However, theories about flight don't depend on IL*2 version number.

Last edited by Igo kyu; 12-20-2013 at 04:28 PM.
Old 01-09-2014, 01:11 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flanker1985 View Post
No, it's not a lot of work to record video at all. Just use the in game track

Also I think I am giving you the wrong idea about my request. I am not a rookie. I have been flying this game for over 8 years now. It's just since the 4.11, the developing team upgraded the AI, and now the AI planes are not stupid anymore So I need a bit advanced lessens for refreshment purposes.
And that is why I want to see tracks and videos. So I can understand the actual logic in practices.
I'll get simple: if 4.12.2 AI has a firing solution on you, you need to JINK as hard as possible, press tab+8, tab+9+1, and just pray an AI comes to help you before the ennemy AI gets help. Play the AI with same respect as if it was old FB_Viks from VEF days, try to deny a shoot for as long as possible and pray you'll be helped (well Viks would shoot your helping mates too but that's another story).

If you're 100% sure you're on 1 vs 1 try the overshoot (rolling scissors is the best option to me), but there's more than 50% chance you'll get shot in the process.

My usual experience is an AI shooting me at what seems impossible deflection while i'm chasing another one, scoring at least a few hits and impairing greatly my manoeuverability (if not directly getting my pilot or engine), then it's just a question of how long till i die or friendly AI come to rescue my sorry ass.

Sure it's challenging and all, but is it really fun ? I liked the days when i saw tracers passing me and had a chance to defend without getting instantly killed most of the times (it happened but seldom). I think TD/HSFX is good for online and online training (QMB practice), but UP3/DBW/TFM is much better for campaigns.
Old 01-10-2014, 02:55 AM
Approved Member

Hi Flanker.

Your best friend is always going to be experience. There is no other magic wand or trick that is going to turn your luck around.

By coincidence I did a video of a Lagg dodging two Bf109s a while ago and put it up here:

I never felt uncomfortable watching an enemy fighter come in from my six to attack, there are a number of videos on my channel showing fighters attacking my six and ending up on the losing end. My least favorite is the head-on confrontation because they often end up in a collision or both planes getting fatal hits.

If you ever want to meet up online and practice that is fine with me, I will fly the Lagg and you can fly whatever else you want from any year and save the tracks of what we do in case something worthwhile comes out of it.

I always try to fly hard settings when I can, to me anything else is gaming and not simming.

S!
Old 01-10-2014, 03:20 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollnloop View Post
Sure it's challenging and all, but is it really fun ? I liked the days when i saw tracers passing me and had a chance to defend without getting instantly killed most of the times (it happened but seldom). I think TD/HSFX is good for online and online training (QMB practice), but UP3/DBW/TFM is much better for campaigns.
I for once glad those days when the AI shot like a blind man with no limbs are all over... Back on 4.07, the AI shooting model is critically flawed, the only thing you need to beat a Rookie pilot is to fly level, he would almost always empty all his ammo aiming at a patch of cloud to your left...
Old 01-10-2014, 07:26 AM
Approved Member

I'm very happy to fight 4.12.2 AI in QMB.

Just not in campaign