Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 12-15-2013, 05:34 AM
Approved Member

In all honesty it can be pretty hard to play online with higher res (let's say you have a good size monitor resolutionwise - you would normally play games at the native resolution).

You get bounced way more often. Which incidentally is what would have happened in real life if you had bad eyesight. (although realistically you WOULD have good eyesight if you were a fighter pilot in the war - the doctors tested these things after all with recruits)

But were looking at a computer representation of reaelity when playing the game. (it's not perfect sensory experience for real visibility conditions)

The only cheat in real life would be basically having a "much better than normal" eyesight (with American eyesight chart it would be like 20/10 vision, much better than the "normal healthy" 20/20)

Chuck yeager (still alive isn't he?) has/had pretty good eyesight back in the war days. I suppose that musthave helped him in the war. But then again, he was shot down in combat by the Germans so it didn't exactly speaking save his life or anything.

I spotted targets way better online, at one notch lower resolution than my native res 1680x1050. The game graphics did look really shitty though.

It was full rael serrver I believe - although it was hsfx and older version of il2 than the most modern 4.12. Conditions were mostly clear weather, noon, lot of sunlight.

Does the most modern stock game 4.12, improve the visibility of planes or effect the visibility in any way? Compared to hsfx?

Also, the easiest ways to actually spot anything with eyballs, is two things; contrast, and relative movement. Contrast is easy, you can see black object against white background from so SO far away that you should really avoid doing these things if you want to stay hidden. (this applies to flying above a cloud, because clouds are white, planes are dark, you get seen)

relative movement, is that you see something moving, which ratioanlly and logically should not be moving at all in that manner (or indeed there should not be anything special in that location, yet something special has caught your eye, (usually it means a foreign object)

Spotting for enemies, stay calm and brave, don't panic because there is no reason to, youre still alive arent you hehe? Move your neck slowly, and scan the skies in a methodic manner.

Flying in a schwarm (finger four) formation, with radio communications on microphone really can help in surviving the surprise attacks. (more eyeballs scanning, more brains are processing data, more portions of the sky are being scanned per second, more work is being done, per unit of time, you are being more powerful and safer)

Last edited by Laurwin; 12-15-2013 at 05:44 AM.
Old 12-15-2013, 03:22 PM
Approved Member

Here's an idea: why not have the game autokick players that use too low settings? It's 2013, and there's no legit reason to use minimum settings for anything else than... uhhh... some kind of testing? Make it a hyperlobby realism setting too:

[x] Medium settings required for players

Or maybe it could just show some kind of symbol next to the playername in the playerlist for those who use poor gfx settings.

btw I have to disagree with bravery and panicking: bravery is bad, panicking is good. There's always a reason for panic. Discretion is the better part of valour etc
Old 12-16-2013, 06:06 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janosch View Post
Here's an idea: why not have the game autokick players that use too low settings? It's 2013, and there's no legit reason to use minimum settings for anything else than... uhhh... some kind of testing? Make it a hyperlobby realism setting too:

[x] Medium settings required for players

Or maybe it could just show some kind of symbol next to the playername in the playerlist for those who use poor gfx settings.

btw I have to disagree with bravery and panicking: bravery is bad, panicking is good. There's always a reason for panic. Discretion is the better part of valour etc
Yea, but from what I've understood about the game settings and visibilitysettings is that at low resolution, the bogeys in the sky are much more noticable at longer distances (the infamous dot range phenomenon in IL-2)

How would you enforce medium settings that way, you would have to have some kind of resolution fix after all? To make it so that the low resolution doesn't gain ridiculous advantage in spotting ability.

I was watching history channel dogfights and there was an interview of the Israeli ace pilot Giora Epstein. He said that an average fighter pilot would see an enemy (jet fighter?), at about 8-12 miles distance (presumably nose-to-nose)

Epstein also said that he himself could see bogeys far away in the distance of about 24 miles. (he was acknowledged to have extraordinarily sharp eyesight, by the standards of fighter pilots)