Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 09-29-2010, 09:04 AM
Approved Member

Default ASUS CineVibe Rumble Feedback USB Gaming Headset review

http://www.guru3d.com/news/asus-cine...eadset-review/

Any takers for a review with Il2?

I would, but my gaming rigg is down and Im presently on a lapptop and on vacation.

Regards

Viking
Old 09-29-2010, 11:53 AM
Approved Member

Personally I'd avoid any USB headsets and go with an analog one. USB headsets come with their own sound cards and they are at best in most cases - mediocre.

LEVEL BOMBING MANUAL v2.0 | Dedicated Bomber Squadron
'MUSTANG' - compilation of online air victories
Old 09-29-2010, 04:08 PM
Approved Member

True! But this time it is about the "rumble effect" and not if they are HiFi. They are not!
But a shaking of your head in a sort of feed back way could perhaps add to the immersion me thinks.
I wanna test but cannot at the moment. Anyone bites?

Regards

Khun Viking
Old 09-29-2010, 04:51 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.}{.O.R. View Post
USB headsets come with their own sound cards
Not true.

I have the Logitech G35s, I wouldn't say they are great, they were a present and I don't think I'd have bought them myself, but they do seem to be adequate. They have software that you have to install (to get the alleged 7.1 sound effects, otherwise they allegedly just run as stereo, but I haven't tried that) and run off the motherboard's integrated soundcard, I don't understand how that gets routed to a USB port, but it does. They come with multiple cushions for the headband, and even then they're not comfortable for me for long periods with the best of the cushions, after a couple of hours I'm very glad to take them off.
Old 09-29-2010, 05:12 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igo kyu View Post
Not true.

I have the Logitech G35s, I wouldn't say they are great, they were a present and I don't think I'd have bought them myself, but they do seem to be adequate. They have software that you have to install (to get the alleged 7.1 sound effects, otherwise they allegedly just run as stereo, but I haven't tried that) and run off the motherboard's integrated soundcard, I don't understand how that gets routed to a USB port, but it does. They come with multiple cushions for the headband, and even then they're not comfortable for me for long periods with the best of the cushions, after a couple of hours I'm very glad to take them off.
I beg to differ:

Quote:
Fully USB

Since the headset is fully USB 2.0 compliant, it completely bypasses the sound card within the computer, similar as to the Turtle Beach Systems AK-R8, therefor the Logitech G35 then becomes its own sound card. The difference between the AK-R8 and the Logitech G35 though is that the AK-R8 uses 8 speakers, 4 in each ear cup and since the speakers are close together, this is actually considered a con, since some end-user reviews say they can't determine the difference between the direction of sound. The Logitech G35 plugs directly into the USB port on the motherboard, or into a USB HUB, without any extra appliances, however this method puts more load on the Central Processing Unit (also known as the CPU) since it is not using a hardware accelerated PCI or PCI Express sound card placed onto the motherboard.
In other words - another 'toy'.

Old 09-29-2010, 05:36 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.}{.O.R. View Post
I beg to differ:

In other words - another 'toy'.
Dunno, sounds okay to me, I'm on a four core CPU, maybe it would be a problem with a single core CPU, I presumed that the MB sound was involved since sound came out, it's good enough for me, I'm no audio(phile/fool). As I say, I'm not comfortable wearing them for beyond an hour or two, but that's the only complaint I have with them (I've not tried to use the mic, don't know that works, presume it does but have no evidence beyond its existence).

The alternative is plugging into the sound card outlets, and since I have speakers in there for general use that would be a considerable fiddle every time I wanted to use a headset, with these I can enable/disable from the desktop and that's all the switching that's needed.
Old 09-29-2010, 05:52 PM
Approved Member

It doesn't matter if you have a 4 core CPU or single core, they should work just fine. The point is that you won't get any load of the CPU like you would with the PCI or PCI Express sound cards. Also, if you're running Win 7 or Vista, there is no support for hardware acceleration - compared to Win XP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igo kyu View Post
The alternative is plugging into the sound card outlets, and since I have speakers in there for general use that would be a considerable fiddle every time I wanted to use a headset, with these I can enable/disable from the desktop and that's all the switching that's needed.
This is probably the biggest advantage of UBS headsets and headphones. For PC gaming purposes, I do believe they are excellent. But if you're into something serious, than no USB headset will suffice.