Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey

IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey Famous title comes to consoles.

Old 01-03-2012, 12:01 AM
Approved Member

Default World of Planes Alpha movies

As you may know, World of Planes on the PC is the twin sister title to Birds of Steel on 360/PS3. The Alpha testers have been playing World of Planes for a while now and some movies are starting to appear from the film makers.
These two by DEDA are excellent and give a great preview of gameplay in simulation mode and how our replays will look in both games. Enjoy

XBL GT: - Robotic Pope
HyperLobby CS: - Robot_Pope

Last edited by Robotic Pope; 01-03-2012 at 12:11 AM.
Old 01-03-2012, 12:23 AM
Approved Member

Damn that look real good. But is it a sim or an arcade game?
Old 01-03-2012, 12:38 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverback View Post
Damn that look real good. But is it a sim or an arcade game?
Same as Birds of Prey, Arcade, Realistic and sim modes. These movies are in sim mode. Although I believe you will now be able to customise them, like say enabling 3rd person in sim mode or turning targets off in arcade mode.

Old 01-03-2012, 02:01 AM
Approved Member

Default WOP video

IMHO looks like where il2 1946 could have been in 2010 if 1C took an easier development path! If you love il2 1946 you will love World of Planes, except if you have played the flawed genius that currently is CLoD. The range of options (planes, scenarios) obviously present in WOP does not make up for the quality and vision of CLoD, albeit an ongoing work.

Interesting to see what players think on its eventual release and what the hardware specs are going to be, would guess it will not be as demanding as CLoD. Maybe somewhere for 46ers to go until they get the cash for a serious hardware upgrade.

Just my first impressions!
Old 01-03-2012, 03:07 AM
Approved Member

i think you are catching a glimpse of BoS in these videos as well. it may not be as intricate or complex in the controls or other things. but some of the flight models, damage effects, tracers, etc., i am going to imagine are close to being inline.
Old 01-03-2012, 08:31 AM
Approved Member

Nice hype Pope. Thanks
Seems like the devs has been working good on the gunsounds too. Love that detail...

Last edited by McQ59; 01-03-2012 at 12:36 PM.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:57 PM
Approved Member

It's still funny to me to see how consistent (or inconsistent for that matter) the damage model is. I never noticed it at first and just thought actually having that kind of damage was cool, but I get a kick out of the planes developing the same bullet holes when they're first hit. Sometimes I think I'm shooting the cockpit/engine area and suddenly a wing will fall off. Sometimes I think I'm shoot at a wing and the whole thing explodes.

It does look like they revamped the flame textures/animation. I wonder if they'll have missions dedicated to kamikaze squadrons. I'm hoping for some 1st AVG Flying Tigers action mixed in since the game takes place in the early part of the war.
Old 01-03-2012, 11:31 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashLanding View Post
It's still funny to me to see how consistent (or inconsistent for that matter) the damage model is. I never noticed it at first and just thought actually having that kind of damage was cool, but I get a kick out of the planes developing the same bullet holes when they're first hit. Sometimes I think I'm shooting the cockpit/engine area and suddenly a wing will fall off. Sometimes I think I'm shoot at a wing and the whole thing explodes.

It does look like they revamped the flame textures/animation. I wonder if they'll have missions dedicated to kamikaze squadrons. I'm hoping for some 1st AVG Flying Tigers action mixed in since the game takes place in the early part of the war.
I dont quite get what your saying is it that the holes dont appear in the same place each time? If so thats because this game is pure class and will determing a place for a whole in the same area as the bullet (like Bop did an engine hit meant engine holes not wing holes)
Old 01-04-2012, 01:05 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by haitch40 View Post
I dont quite get what your saying is it that the holes dont appear in the same place each time? If so thats because this game is pure class and will determing a place for a whole in the same area as the bullet (like Bop did an engine hit meant engine holes not wing holes)
Well I do kind of agree with Crash. The plane damage texture is always the same for each plane. There are maybe 2 or 3 levels of visual damage sevartity for each aircraft part. Get your wing shot up until black and the same big hole will always show.

I do think its acurate though. When in training the parts of planes I shoot at usually seem to be the parts that recieve damage.

In multiplayer, lag is always likely to make it look like you are hitting a different part of the plane than you actually are (also why with greater lag it feels like your bullets are doing no damage when hitting because actually you are missing).

Old 01-04-2012, 02:11 AM
Approved Member

Pope follows what I was saying. The damage textures typically the same regardless of where it hits.