Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Technical threads > Controls threads

Controls threads Everything about controls in CoD

Old 08-07-2011, 09:24 AM
Approved Member

Default May day, somebody help me please!!!

Hi, Guys. I have just bought this game a few days ago. But I have found this game is much more complex than the previous IL-2. Back in IL-2:1946, all we need to do is watch our atitude and speed, manifold pressure, RPM and our verticle velocity. But this one is so complex that I have no idea what else I need to know in order to fly. For example my engine often end up with "water Radiator Perforated". What does that mean??? What did I do wrong?
Also my engine often have other issues as well, sometimes I can't even start up.

This is the most realistic piston engine plane simulation I have even known. And I really want to learn. Can any one please teach me how to fly it apprepriately and what gadget else do I need to watch out for??

Thanks a lot. Really appreciate if someone can help me.
Old 08-07-2011, 12:45 PM
Approved Member

In the 109 Preflight I open the radiator half way, set oil radiator to one third,set prop pitch to 12 oclock,open fuel cock,turn on magnetoes, start engine.

Take off full throttle and when in air leave full throttle and adjust rpms with prop pitch watch rpm gauge keep rpms at mark on gauge with prop pitch and you should have no problems flying 109 at them settings.
nVidia 285 GTX /1024 MB/Driver Ver:270.61
Win7 Pro 64 bit SP1
Old 08-07-2011, 01:22 PM
Approved Member

The manual is here:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover\manual\IL2CoD_MANUAL_UK.pdf"

It explains the basis things very well... read all!

i7 7700K 4.8GHz, 32GB Ram 3GHz, MSI GTX 1070 8GB, 27' 1920x1080, W10/64, TrackIR 4Pro, G940
Cliffs of Dover Bugtracker site: share and vote issues here
Old 08-07-2011, 02:11 PM
Approved Member

Hi, thanks guys.
But that manual offers very little detail.
For example when I start the engine, if I just push the thrust all the way, the engine will stall. Can anyone tell me why. And when I flying the aircraft, my engine will starts trouble all the time. Sometimes it says "water Radiator Perforated", which I have no idea what does that mean. Sometimes I just see smoke come out of the engine and I started to loss manifold press. And sometimes all of a suddent, the oil started to leak all over my cockpit. I have no idea why and what should I do and what didn't I do.

Also, unlike the previous IL-2 game, the mix was easy. But in this game, just one wrong mix setting and my engine could end up on fire -- literally. How do I know when do I re-adjust them, plus every plane are different.

And what's the difference between the "radiator" and the "oil radiator"?

Can you please teach me?? Thanks very much
Old 08-07-2011, 02:31 PM
Registered Member

Yes, the manual unfortunately doesn't go into detail on these things. There is however an extremely useful guide to flying the various aircraft here:

http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=24547
Old 08-07-2011, 02:44 PM
Approved Member

You have two radiators.A water radiator(engine cooling) and an oil radiator(oil cooling).

Water radiator perforated probably means it got too hot and and sprung a leak(poor Russian translation).
Old 08-07-2011, 03:15 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flanker1985 View Post
Hi, thanks guys.
But that manual offers very little detail.
For example when I start the engine, if I just push the thrust all the way, the engine will stall. Can anyone tell me why. And when I flying the aircraft, my engine will starts trouble all the time. Sometimes it says "water Radiator Perforated", which I have no idea what does that mean. Sometimes I just see smoke come out of the engine and I started to loss manifold press. And sometimes all of a suddent, the oil started to leak all over my cockpit. I have no idea why and what should I do and what didn't I do.

Also, unlike the previous IL-2 game, the mix was easy. But in this game, just one wrong mix setting and my engine could end up on fire -- literally. How do I know when do I re-adjust them, plus every plane are different.

And what's the difference between the "radiator" and the "oil radiator"?

Can you please teach me?? Thanks very much
Water radiator perforated, because the water overheated (you should open the water radiator), and the system went to pieces, because of huge pressure. The oil system is the same. You have to check the gauges in cockpit, and maintain the values in operating limit.

The engine has important limitations too, rpm, manifold pressure, emergency boost, etc, what it is necessary to pay attention to (these limits are written down in the manual "Flying the planes" section).

It writes a couple of words about the rest of the equipments, under the "controls" section. If it is not enough, look it up on the wikipedia. From basic things, like this, you find very detailed, illustrated explanations there.

You may ask it here, if you have an specific question. But if you ask it, to teach everything, because you don't know anything... this will not work.

i7 7700K 4.8GHz, 32GB Ram 3GHz, MSI GTX 1070 8GB, 27' 1920x1080, W10/64, TrackIR 4Pro, G940
Cliffs of Dover Bugtracker site: share and vote issues here
Old 08-07-2011, 06:20 PM
Approved Member

If you want to know the basics of piston engines, i suggest you go to www.a2asimulations.com and take a look at their manuals.

They make payware add-on aircraft for microsoft FSX and some of them have an extra add-on module called accusim that gives the player more realistic engine operation.

How does that help us you might say. Well, for one, the general principles of piston engine operation are the same.

Second, you don't need to buy one of their products to read the manuals, they are freely available as a PDF download.

Just make sure you are reading the accusim manuals and not "base pack" manuals that only cover the general aircraft characteristics.
The accusim manuals start with a general preface on piston engines regardless of what add-on aircraft they are dealing with, then they move into the specifics.

For example, here is the manual for their P-47: http://www.a2asimulations.com/wingso...sim_Manual.pdf

A more useful one in our case would be their Spitfire manual, which you can find here: http://www.a2asimulations.com/wingso...sim_Manual.zip

This pretty much has the same preface about general engine operation principles, then goes into more length about the Spitfire in particular.

I don't own a copy of FSX but i fly it from time to time on a friend's PC when i visit him, he's got a lot of well done 3rd party add-ons and that's how i learned CEM in the first place. When CoD was released i was able to just jump in right away because i knew the basics from my few FSX flights.

In fact, you'll find that because of the specialized nature of FSX add-ons (a single aircraft can sell for as much as cliffs of dover does), some have a lot more detailed and restrictions modeled than even our very well done aircraft in CoD: a lot of what you'll read in that spitfire manual might refer to cockpit controls that you can't interact with in CoD.

Never the less, it makes for some good reading and will have you up and running pretty soon.

My advice would be to:

1) Read these manuals.

2) Launch CoD, go to the QMB and start a free flight mission with an aircraft of your choice. You will spawn in the air, start at moderate power and full open radiators, then gradually increase power while closing radiators. If you do this right, the effect of your increased speed (more power and less drag from the rads) will be increased airflow and this in turn brings more cooling: you might end up being able to get away with lower radiator usage despite the higher power settings.
Just focus on seeing how much power you can apply with the least amount of drag imposed on you through radiators.

3) Go to the QMB and start the cross country mission. There's a nasty crosswind in that mission which will pull you to the right, but it's a stock ground start mission. Use this to practice how to turn on the engine, warm up and do some take-offs and landings or touch and go maneuvers.

Stick with one aircraft for an hour or two and you'll be comfortable enough to select a combat mission in the FMB to see how it all applies to combat
Old 08-07-2011, 06:59 PM
Approved Member

Thumbs up

Good advise from Blackdog ,but I would say an hour is not enough with one aircraft.Pick just one ,your favourite, and just try to learn it.
I have spent hours in the 109, and still mess up the engine sometimes. Today I did the cross country ground start mission in the He111, one of my favourites from il2, and was very happy that I managed to get it off the ground ,keep it in the air,and actually land it!
But, I know I was very inefficient in doing it, so obviously a lot more time needed! The work load on the pilots of a WW2 bomber must have been immense.
Even though I have had CoD for about 5 months now, I have not gone anywhere near most of the planes.Just too much to learn with one plane, and thats as it should be.
Old 08-07-2011, 11:54 PM
Approved Member

Wow!!! That is a lot of details!!! Thanks a lot guys!!!! I just love you guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

By the way, does anyone know that when would the eastern front version of this game come out?? Mr JG52Uther mentioned I should just train myself on my favourite plane. My favourite earlier war plane is the MiG-3 series, and middle war plane is the La-5 series and the late war plane is the La-7 series. So it is actually not in yet. Since this game is still called the "IL-2", so I was just thinking they would still make IL-2 into the game along with the Soviet, right. If anyone know about it, can you please let me know?? Thanks, much appreciated.

Thanks again for the help upthere. Now I know a lot. If you guys have a facebook account, please let me know and I'll add you guys.