Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik > Daidalos Team discussions

Old 01-14-2012, 12:12 AM
Approved Member

No more magic carpet rides for the AI! Really! They actually no longer do their UFO climb into the stratosphere and suck all the fun out of offline flying.

Apart from waving goodbye to Mr Magic Carpet they also seem to be much more competent all round.

and 6DoF!!

I'm impressed.
Old 01-14-2012, 02:17 AM
Approved Member

Thanks TD for keeping our sim alive. No problems at all so far.
Old 01-14-2012, 04:34 AM
Registered Member

Loving the AI! Just overshot an I16 and bled too much energy bouncing from high, so had him open up at 400 or so meters. Went inverted and rolled over and he couldnt keep up with me once I had accelerated a bit in a dive. By the time I pulled up at a few hundred meters with friends en route, he was over a kilometer and a half away and desperately trying to catch me, before breaking off for another target once he fell behind 2km.

Loving this sim!
Old 01-14-2012, 06:40 AM
Approved Member

My training mission is either me against a duo or a quartet of aces.

For the first time since Il2 exist I have now to engage the wingmen in the same time as their leader. They behave realistically now trying to nail you for real !

At ace level their attack feel somewhat too much coordinated but ace they are isn't it

Waiting for our beloved server to do the switch that we can see how it impart online play.

Thx to TD team. Hats off !
Old 01-14-2012, 07:09 AM
Approved Member

The new AI is fantastic. And the 6oF.... amazing. The incredible amount of work that has gone into remodelling the cockpits (Ki-61 is a prime example) to add missing details is just tremendous. Had a little CTD in quick missions, but so what
Old 01-14-2012, 08:03 AM
Approved Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittle View Post
Yes, there are some bugs in there, we all know that. I must say that the time I have spent in game has been the best IL2 flying I have ever had.

Fired up a career with JG52 on the southern front, in my trusty Bf-109G-6. We ran into some ruskies, in Laggs and La-5s and a dog fight started. Believe this or not, but an element of Laggs actually left the fight, gained some alt, and came back with an advantage!!! This is the kind of update that makes IL2 a brand new game IMHO. Even the oldest stock careers are now going to play totally different. When you meet an enemy aircraft, there is going to be a decent chance that this guy is going to really give you a run for your money. With the old AI I had a dogfight with an Ace Yak-3 during a campaign and it was a 15 minute, no holds barred, dog fight. I won by the skin of my teeth, but with the new AI, I might have lost by the skin of my arse!!!

I haven't tried it yet, but early war dogfights in the Pacific should be MUCH more challenging now!!! I always had an easy time with Zero in my F4F, as they wouldn't fly their aircraft with any smarts what so ever.l Now, I feel that the time of Wildcat 6 kill missions versus veteran Zero pilots is over and done!!!

Haven't flown any new birds yet, but shot down some TBDs and it was a blast. The Ki-45 is BEAUTIFUL!!!! Can't wait till she is flyable! The Z 506 is very well done too, and the new flyable ruskie bombers are works of art. This is no longer just a WWII combat flight sim, it is THE WWII combat flight sim to which all others will have to compare!!!
This sim has been just that for quite some time already....
Old 01-14-2012, 11:31 AM
Approved Member

Overall i think this patch is the most comprehensive. The AI and engine improvements really stepped up the realism. Also il-4 was a really important plane to miss.

Thank you TD.
Old 01-14-2012, 04:10 PM
Registered Member

Smile My impressions:

I uninstalled my previous modded IL-2 setup just to test 4.11 and this is what ive encountered so far:

-First I ran the missions which frustrated me in 4.10.1. This german B-17 intercept mission in a FW-190 A8 over normandy for example. In the old version everytime my AI-flight saw the bombers, they attacked regardless of my orders. Now they kept the formation until I gave the orders

-After I gave the attack order, I could see my flight struggling with me to reach the altitute of the bombers . In 4.10.1 I was pissed everytime when I saw them zooming away and reaching unbelievable speeds in a short time

-The gunners in the B-17 are much more realistic imho. Can´t hit you when you´re moving fast . I ran a test in 4.10.1 once: Me-262 with 700km crossed the path of a B17 at 90°, roughly 800-1000m behind it. I was hit 90 percent of the time. This was ridiculous. So thumbs up here.

-The texture for the high clouds . In the old version (especially when you had your visibility distance set to 72km) you could see this "ugly" repetitive sky texture. Now Daidalos improved this -> VERY NICE

and and and ....

It feels a little bit like a new game. Best patch ever. Period

Last edited by Flip; 01-14-2012 at 06:33 PM.
Old 01-14-2012, 05:19 PM
Approved Member

The 6DoF is great ... much more realistic to me than any modded version. If the stock version had a few more Mustang variants I'd fly stock excliusively. It seems to me that the Mustang is a bit more stable.. I like the AI ... I have to fly more to get a more detailed look .. but so far from what I have seen .. I like it.

Last edited by Bearcat; 01-14-2012 at 05:24 PM.
Old 01-14-2012, 06:11 PM
Approved Member

It really does feel like a new game, I agree with that statement 1000%!!! I would have paid money for this patch, and not like $5 for some of the crappy DLC you get out there, I would have put down what I paid for IL2'46 in the first place, $30 USD just for this patch.

I just flew a QB dogfight, 4 Veteran P-38Js vs 4 Average Ki-45 Hei. It was a brawl. I started with the advantage, on the 'perch' above and behind. What do the Ki's do, well they split into elements and break INTO my attack, bravo gents!!!! One single aircraft lagged behind however, seemed a little less capable then the others, this became my target. I hadn't let the flight off the leash yet so they were strung out behind me covering the rear. The other three Ki's swung around and pursued the whole flight. As I closed on the single Ki, the others closed on my #4 and started firing. I gave the order to engage and the dogfight started. I hit the Ki with my .50s and smoke began pouring from the right side engine. The pilot started doing defensive barrel rolls to give the gunner a shot, but the G's were too much and he missed.

Now, here I thought, "oh that same old AI behavior", right??? Wrong!!!! The action seemed to have purpose, control, reason. The rolls weren't in a straight ling, he kept changing his course throughout. I had givin him up for dead the closer to the water he got, and just as I broke away PLOW he levels up and goes into the vertical!!! Well, I was in no position to follow to I kept my turn. The guys fighter was too shot up to fight, and he crashed while RTB.

The next dogfight was even better, showing the AIs ability to adapt. It was in the same flight against the enemy flight lead. He actually managed to turn the tide after being bounced, made a couple head ons, and generally kept me below him and at bay. I got lucky and pegged him with a snap shot of 20mm right before we started a rolling scissors, then he in turn pegged me. Then zoom climbed to make a diving attack. That's when I had my very first, and so far only, CTD.

WoW TD, you have really done it this time. Kids, say good bye to Daddy for a little while..... lol