Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 09-07-2013, 09:51 PM
Approved Member

Default what Allied aircraft are the best in this game?

Howdy virtual fliers out there!

So, I was just thinking about this question for myself yesterday. I decided to try and glean off some insights from the community for this purpose.

As things are in online servers, fw190 is clearly the choice of warbird for axis, unless more advanced design e.g. Ta-152, or the jet fighters are avqilable. Choices for Allied will be tempered by this consideration more often than not.

Allied vs fw190a4
Allied vs fw190 a5
Allied vs fw190 a9

Ive had ok successes with a gaggle of contemporary allied fighters, but i prefer p-47 D, or mustang from allied. Those are my fav warbirds from allied, although id like to get better with tempest also. That tempest is a trim hog though!

Reason being, with p-47 I can outdive focke, I can outperform and bnz the high flying fockes, and I can outrun focke if needed. Granted, the lack of cannons is not nice with american but the important raw performance is there in engine and airframe to be unlshed.

to me, the late war american planes seem like excellent choices. Why feel guilty about flying "a better fighter" for allied, when focke pilots do the same vs outdated spits andrussian fighters. Ok, admittedly sometimes i feel guilty but only a little bit
I dont really sofar fly with a squadron though, so also the higher alt tactic may incease survivability, and you can still defend allied ground troops, or rather give high cover to allied team mates covering allied ground troops. Written with cellphone so forgive me lol
Old 09-08-2013, 10:39 AM
Approved Member

For allied, you mean strictly american or british fighters? If not, then try the La-7. It is maybe the best aircraft in the game, no axis aircraft can match its performance, they are not even close. They cant turn, cant climb and cant run. But keep in mind, La-7 has maybe the least realistic FM, so if it is important for you, forget this plane. If you wish, you can actually turn with a Zero in a La-7!
Old 09-08-2013, 11:52 AM
Il-2 enthusiast & Moderator

It depends on your style and the environment, really. For instance, I prefer a P-51 over Spitfire, though the damage the 0.50ies deal to the 190 is usually laughable. But then, I like fast hit and run, and the Spitfire can't run at all. Another good aircraft is the Tempest, fast with a powerful armament, but the handling isn't as nice as that of the P-51. Obviously, there are no P-51 and Tempest around to counter the A-4 or A-5, so it's probably best to stick with the Spitfire VIII and IX. Unless you're good with a P-38. Contemporary Soviet planes are totally outclassed, except for maybe the Yak-9u. The rest is just cannon fodder. Can't dive, limited firepower, no high altitude performance.
Old 09-08-2013, 03:35 PM
Approved Member

I appreciate your responses guys. I meant all allied, but personally i tend to gravitate more towards western allied.

How does la-5 fn fly against a4 and a5 fockes? More in terms of bnz flight characteristics. Turn fighting just tends to get you killed quite often ( less SA, and fairly low E state)

What about p39 for some russian bnz?

So, p38 should be a close match to contemporary focke when well flown? Its not the most popular allied plane thats for sure, prob takes a good bit of skill to be good at.

For british, tell me aboit best spitfire marks. I thoughtt that spit9 25lbs was the best one.
Are the HF spit9s worth flying against typical focke? What about seafire3, and spit8 also?definitely i must say, i greatly prefer mustangs and tbolts for their high speed performance. With those planes you can use "blue collar battletactics" against fockes.
Simple enough, find them, dive on them, kill them. If they run away, catch them and kill them. Blue collar tactics for sure, none of that fancy spitfire aerobatics lol

p38 might be good also, but dive controllability isnt good ( compressibility)
Fast spitfire marks also cannot sustainably catch focke in a dive, but in a short distance dive fast spitfire could catch focke ( speed still not being too high)?

Good diving characteriatic of mustang came tto my aid a few days ago vs focke. I wasoutdiving the focke badly. He kept going steeper for more speed. He reached the.sealevel and i was still on to him at 1,5km. He pulled up and ripped both of his wings off. He did all the work for me, didnt even have to shoot hehe!

Last edited by Laurwin; 09-08-2013 at 03:44 PM.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:27 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurwin View Post
I appreciate your responses guys. I meant all allied, but personally i tend to gravitate more towards western allied.

How does la-5 fn fly against a4 and a5 fockes? More in terms of bnz flight characteristics. Turn fighting just tends to get you killed quite often ( less SA, and fairly low E state)

What about p39 for some russian bnz?
Below 3500m, Fw-190 is no match for a La-5FN. Cant climb, cant turn and cant run, a very easy target. Above 3500m, the Fw begins to get faster than the La-5, but accelerates slowly and its climb performance is also poor, still a very easy prey. Online its different, with good teamwork, it is possible to beat the Lavochkins. But 1 vs 1, Fw-190 is still hopelessly inferior.

P-39 is not that good against the Fw, because its way too slow, maybe except at medium altitudes where the 190 switches supercharger gears. You have to force him to turn fight, but it is only possible against inexperienced opponents. Also, the Cobra is quite vulnerable, catches fire easily, not a good thing if you face the FW's cannons.
Old 09-09-2013, 06:00 PM
Approved Member

Yak-9U at low and P-51 at high altitudes.
Old 09-09-2013, 07:45 PM
Approved Member

The La-5FN and the La-7 are tough 1v1 opponents for any German plane, though I find the 5FN loses a lot above 2000m.

The 190 is not really a good 1v1 plane against any allied fighter, but it's probably the plane that benefits from a wing-man the most in this game. For example, 1v1 I'll take the La-7 anytime, but in a 2v2 scenario I'll go for the 190, even if it's an A-9, and definitely if it's an 190-D.

Agree with Tiny Tim: Yak 9U is great against German planes up to about 5000m, the P51 is great above that. The P63 can also do very well against late-war German fighters.
Old 09-10-2013, 12:29 AM
Approved Member

The FW190 is a top notch fighter but it does have some excellent contemporaries...

FW190A-4 vs

La-5 (at low alts)
Yak-9 or Yak-1B (at low alts)
Spitfire F.IX (or on the outside a LF.Vb model with clipped wings at low alt)

FW190A-5 vs

Similar to the list above... add P-47D-22 and Yak-9T

FW190A-9 vs

Tempest Mark V
Spitfire LF.IX
P-51D
P-47D-27
Yak-9U
La-5FN or La-7

Lots of different techniques to fight the FW190 on a variety of terms but most of those can hold their own if flown to their full abilities. The Yak-1B or Yak-9 series are better counters than most give credit for... they may be typically slower but they can follow the FW190 through many evasion techniques on account of similarly impressive roll rate. Spitfires listed are nearly as fast, great climb rates, but usually not enough roll rate... the clipped wings do help mind you.

The Tempest is the best RAF counter to the FW190 and perhaps the best pound for pound contemporary. Similarly fast, well armed, etc. The Typhoon in many ways is a good counter but didn't quite have the roll rate (having one of the worst roll rates of any European theatre fighter) or turn rate but it did have the speed which most types didn't. Too bad we don't have it yet...
Old 09-10-2013, 02:59 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceFire View Post
The FW190 is a top notch fighter but it does have some excellent contemporaries...

FW190A-4 vs

La-5 (at low alts)
Yak-9 or Yak-1B (at low alts)
Spitfire F.IX (or on the outside a LF.Vb model with clipped wings at low alt)

FW190A-5 vs

Similar to the list above... add P-47D-22 and Yak-9T

FW190A-9 vs

Tempest Mark V
Spitfire LF.IX
P-51D
P-47D-27
Yak-9U
La-5FN or La-7

Lots of different techniques to fight the FW190 on a variety of terms but most of those can hold their own if flown to their full abilities. The Yak-1B or Yak-9 series are better counters than most give credit for... they may be typically slower but they can follow the FW190 through many evasion techniques on account of similarly impressive roll rate. Spitfires listed are nearly as fast, great climb rates, but usually not enough roll rate... the clipped wings do help mind you.

The Tempest is the best RAF counter to the FW190 and perhaps the best pound for pound contemporary. Similarly fast, well armed, etc. The Typhoon in many ways is a good counter but didn't quite have the roll rate (having one of the worst roll rates of any European theatre fighter) or turn rate but it did have the speed which most types didn't. Too bad we don't have it yet...
I don't really know it in game, but historically I thought the Yak 3 was supposed to be a smaller lighter aircraft than the Yak 9, with less fuel and thus range, but better performance and turn times? It first appeared later than the Yak 9, despite the numerical sequence.
Old 09-10-2013, 08:50 AM
Approved Member

So, it looks more like I have to work on my defensive maanouvers and tactics more.
But still, good focke pilots can be tough to beat for sure, with these "midwar planes" (1942-43).

I had a great time yesterday with spits though, i was flying wingman with one of those jg77 guys, we got some nice bursts hitting fockes but not always te exploding fireball-type of kills (even with some cannon into fuel area lol)

Actually i was playing with adjusted network setring for il2 (packet size was set to the lowestt modem setting, in il2 setup) it may have been bad convergence also though,foee my hispanos.