Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 08-31-2013, 09:47 PM
Approved Member

Default Aircraft performance fall off with Win 7? last call for explanation

Just one more attempt to see if there is any explanation for a general aircraft performance drop in Il-2 1946 from Win XP to Win 7?

I bought a very good gaming Win 7 laptop in 2009 after my Toshiba Win XP laptop went belly up. For almost 3 years I had thoroughly enjoyed Il-2 1946 on the XP laptop, but with the new Win 7 machine I noticed a decrease in aircraft performance from the beginning, though it took some time to sink in.

All aircraft I flew seemed to be about 10-15% underpowered in my new Win 7 set up. The one that stands out most is the F4U Corsair, where I would use the throttle as deftly as any other control during a tight close in rolling dogfight with an Oscar 20' above the water. It really required fine controll, or in you went, but you could master it and do amazing things. With the Win 7 laptop, I need to keep the throttle wide open, it always feels like a 'wallowing fight' All dogfights are this way, the AI less aggressive and fast, my machines hard to hold in fine manuevres due to underpowered state. Kills the fun real quick. This is true of all the aircraft I fought with, a real disappointment that I tried to remedy for years. I upgraded to Win 7 Pro, followed much advise, etc. The aircraft in another flight simm I use also are diminished somewhat from XP, so it doesn't seem to be a problem with Il-2 1946 per se.

I posted on the IL-2 forum and was pretty much met with blank looks, so apparently this is not the case for Win 7 users. If anyone else had this experience, it would be helpful to get an explanation. Some have mentioned framerates and that 'it may appear to be slower...' ,no, it IS slower - 3 years experience, you get to know your aircraft intimately. Think of having a motorcycle that you've driven for years; you know exactly how it handles. You then experience a performance drop, and some dolt leans in a tells you it's in you mind, but he's a tech expert, don't you know. Please, don't be that guy.

I have lapsed in playing the game due to this fall off, and am finally able to move on getting a new set up, so perhaps my suffering will end, but I would still like to know why the performance drop in aircraft performance. May never find out, but thought to give it one last attempt. Thank you to anything you can provide to this end.

p3
Old 09-01-2013, 08:56 AM
Approved Member

Check your joystick settings and calibration. This is the only thing, that may change together with OS change.
Old 09-01-2013, 02:43 PM
Approved Member

An OS change isn't going to have any effect on the flight models so basically the only thing that it could be, as SaQSoN points out, is input related.

Do you still have Windows XP available to you (i.e. is it an old system). Why not do a test run with a stop watch and see how long it takes for the Corsair to accelerate to top speed at sea level using the same testing methodology. Between the top speed reached and the time it takes to get there should give you an indication on if there is an actual change or not. It may also help zero in on what exactly appears to be different...again something as simple as the joystick sensitivity settings requiring an adjustment may be it.

Last edited by IceFire; 09-01-2013 at 02:47 PM.
Old 09-01-2013, 03:27 PM
Approved Member

Windows 8 the corsair is faster

Seriously though..........

As already said it can only be the settings in your IL2 thats different or incorrectly patched/corrupted version.

Last edited by KG26_Alpha; 09-01-2013 at 03:40 PM.
Old 09-02-2013, 05:44 AM
Approved Member

I'm not sure how the physics are modeled but you might find that your new CPU/GPU has more 'maths options' (MMX/XMM/SSEx and whatever's on the GPU) to choose from, as compared to XP on the older laptop.

If the game is using these options for physics calculations, and its different to what it was on your old XP laptop.. the results will be different. What you getting now is probably what the devs intended the physics to be like.

A slight adjustment in your flying skills would help you re-enjoy the game again.
Old 09-02-2013, 11:57 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_Freddie View Post
I'm not sure how the physics are modeled but you might find that your new CPU/GPU has more 'maths options' (MMX/XMM/SSEx and whatever's on the GPU) to choose from, as compared to XP on the older laptop.

If the game is using these options for physics calculations, and its different to what it was on your old XP laptop.. the results will be different. What you getting now is probably what the devs intended the physics to be like.

A slight adjustment in your flying skills would help you re-enjoy the game again.
The physics might be calculated faster leading to faster frame rates only. You can't take shortcuts here with a slower or faster CPU... otherwise multiplayer would be a write-off. So no... not likely to be the case.

Some games benefit from having the extra GPU backing to produce visual effects related to physics (i.e. StarCraft II will show more debris being tossed around and interacting with the environment) but the gameplay physics have to be absolutely, 100%, identical. I'm not sure if there is a margin of error here but it would have to be small.
Old 09-02-2013, 12:01 PM
Approved Member

Maybe a very stupid question, if so I apologize.
Are you really sure, you installed the same version of the game (patch) in XP and in Win7?
Old 09-02-2013, 07:49 PM
Approved Member

Thanks, I do not presently have XP available for such a comparison, but appreciate the suggestion.

As to joy stick calibration, I use the same CH Products joystick/rudder pedals as with my old set up [actually a warranty replacement-refurb of each type] with my Win 7. I never fussed much if at all with varying numerical values, just the standard CHP calibration.
Old 09-02-2013, 07:51 PM
Approved Member

I installed 4.07 from the same install DVD for both computers, and after some time finally patched my later Win 7 set up up to 4.10.1. Being that I noticed the drop off early on while in the familiar 4.07, it doesn't appear to be a error or corrupt install, but thank you.
Old 09-02-2013, 08:00 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaQSoN View Post
Check your joystick settings and calibration. This is the only thing, that may change together with OS change.
Thank you, I use CH Products with my present Win 7 and with the older XP, left them pretty much alone as far as fine tuning the various numerical inputs available for such tuning - I just calibrated them within CH Products Control Manager.

Can you please inform me how I might be able to achieve greater power or somehow address the key complaint, that being apparent lower power problem I described? What settings are you reffering to that would effect max power - the unstable flight aspects I mentioned are only a result of this lack of top end power or acceleration when needed.

Thanks to all for the inputs,

p3