Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 09-06-2013, 12:18 AM
Approved Member

Default iL-2 60 FPS limit & Fraps

Does iL-2 have and 60 fps limit? Using fraps, this is the highest fps in iL-2 I can get (interested in higher limits for experimenting). I do have V-synic turned off.
The below is quoted from fraps support page

Quote:
Why doesn?t Fraps show above 30fps, 60fps, 75 fps (or any other framerate) in my game?

This can be due to several reasons.

Many games have internal limits that prevent them rendering faster than a certain framerate. In some cases this can mean they are locked at a maximum framerate of only 30fps.

Another possibility is that you have Vsync enabled. Vsync is used to synchronise the output of your graphics card with the display of your monitor. When your graphics card has finished rendering the next frame it waits for the monitor to finish displaying the current one before switching to the new one. This means that the maximum framerate you can obtain will be equal to the refresh rate of your monitor (which is usually 60hz, 75hz, 85hz, or 100hz).

If you disable Vsync then your graphics card will continuously render without waiting for the last frame to be displayed in its entirety. With fast graphics cards this means that your monitor may switch to a new frame halfway down the screen. This effect is known as tearing as there appears to be a visible line separating two different halves. Due to this, you should generally leave Vsync enabled except when benchmarking.
Old 09-06-2013, 12:23 AM
Approved Member

No IL-2 does not have a 60 fps limit. Both the internal frame rate reporter in IL-2 and FRAPS give me readings of over 300 fps when I look at the sky. About 120ish looking around at normal landscape.

Are you sure your Vsync is off?
Old 09-06-2013, 01:47 AM
Approved Member

Thanks IceFire. Your post helped.
Yes, I did have V-Syinc off. For some reason V-syinc off did not take effect in iL2 untill after I rebooted. Although V-Synic would be forced off in GhostRecon without a reboot. Go figure...
Have a GF 8800 GTS, using the Nivida control panel.
Old 09-07-2013, 06:45 PM
Approved Member

As an update for whomever it may help in the future.
For the Vertical sync setting to take effect in IL-2 (on my computer anyway), I have to at least log off and back onto the Windows (XP) user account. Also only the Nvidia Control Panel > "Global Setting" tab > Vertical Sync, works. The Programs tab doesn't work for IL-2 on my machine.
Replaying tracks, using Fraps averaging for measurements, I'm averaging about 150-160 FPS. Haven't attempting changing any settings, using default IL-2 config and install. Fresh install from disk. 4.07m.
Old 09-08-2013, 12:59 AM
Approved Member

If a monitor is 60hz refresh rate, don't any frames over 60 just get tossed? True some video cards will process really high FPS, but as I understand it the card loops to the monitor's buffer and Vsync enabled tells your video card to synchronize it's actions with the monitor. I read at Tom's hardware that "Vsync" was created to support CRT monitors and with Vsync turned off you can experience "tearing" as the two devices fall out of sync and the card puts more frame in the buffer than the monitor can actually display.

So Vsync off will allow the video card to render frames as fast as it wants to regardless of the ability of your monitor to keep up.

Vsync on will coordinate the video card and monitor but FPS can drop off quite a lot. The video card is told to wait until the monitor is ready to receive new data.

Nvidia cards have an adaptive Vsync option which enables the synchronization only when FPS exceeds the monitor's refresh rate, otherwise it is off.

This sound right?
Old 09-08-2013, 01:54 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KU_Rigamortis View Post
If a monitor is 60hz refresh rate, don't any frames over 60 just get tossed?
Not with Vsync off.

Quote:
True some video cards will process really high FPS, but as I understand it the card loops to the monitor's buffer and Vsync enabled tells your video card to synchronize it's actions with the monitor.
I don't believe monitors typically have a buffer, that would cause an extra one frame's delay between the player doing something and it showing on screen, which would be a bad thing in general.

Quote:
I read at Tom's hardware that "Vsync" was created to support CRT monitors and with Vsync turned off you can experience "tearing" as the two devices fall out of sync and the card puts more frame in the buffer than the monitor can actually display.
I've seen tearing on LCDs. Tom's was probably saying VSync was invented a long time ago (because the first CRTs were a really long time ago), not that it was a CRT only problem. It typically happens when running old games on fast new GPUs that weren't around when the game was written. KotOR is a game where you really need VSync on, on fast new systems.

Quote:
So Vsync off will allow the video card to render frames as fast as it wants to regardless of the ability of your monitor to keep up.
If the monitor doesn't keep up and there's no Vsync you get tearing, it's no fun.

Quote:
Vsync on will coordinate the video card and monitor but FPS can drop off quite a lot. The video card is told to wait until the monitor is ready to receive new data.
If the graphics card is making 59 FPS, and the monitor is running at 60, with Vsync on the result will be 30 FPS, but you wouldn't want Vsync on if the card was struggling to keep up with the monitor.

Quote:
Nvidia cards have an adaptive Vsync option which enables the synchronization only when FPS exceeds the monitor's refresh rate, otherwise it is off.

This sound right?
I don't know current nVidia cards, I might get one next time, or not, but recently, I haven't, probably mainly on performance for the price.
Old 09-08-2013, 02:03 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceFire View Post
No IL-2 does not have a 60 fps limit. Both the internal frame rate reporter in IL-2 and FRAPS give me readings of over 300 fps when I look at the sky. About 120ish looking around at normal landscape.

Are you sure your Vsync is off?
Out of curiousity, are you in DirectX or OpenGL mode? I've noticed OpenGL tends to get far lower framerates overall, but I've gotten too used to the perfect water to ditch it

On the subject of FPS, I tend to get really awful framerates (low as 17) around the heavily populated areas of Slovakia, Odessa, and Murmansk. Is this a common thing for most people and just a quirk of the maps, or is there a trick to getting them to run a little better? The rig I'm running on isn't a slouch, the only other game I have at the moment that gets sub-30fps is ArmA3. I'm guessing DirectX instead of OpenGL and not using Perfect landscape would go a long way towards improving this?