Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 08-28-2013, 10:16 AM
Registered Member

Default Help me please

Hey,

I am a new enthusiast into the flight sim community. I recently bought a Saitek x52 pro,and i fly in War Thunder with it. War Thunder has some issues,which are annoying,and i want to improve myself.

I have heard many things about the IL-2 franchise,and i really want to try it out.

Now i need help with you,pointing me in the right direction:

I want this:

- A friendly and helpful community
- A game in which i will learn how to dogfight,with accurate FM and DM.

Now i need help to decide on which one to get from IL-2 :

Cliffs of Dover

or

1946 (on gog.com)

I do not mind the old graphics in 1946,i do not mind the clickable cockpits in CloD,however i heard CloD has a lot of issues?

I don't really care which one is shinier than the other,i want functionality,good base for improvement and such.

I can't get both at the moment.

Thanks.
Old 08-28-2013, 12:52 PM
Approved Member

I don't have CloD, and haven't heard much good about it. Anyway, CloD is a project closed up, while Il-2 is a living one (thank to Team Daidalos and the community).

In Il-2 1946, you can fly a variety (actually many dozens) of wwii planes against a huge variety of human-controllable or AI planes (actually more than one hundred). If you have a decent rig, graphics is not that bad either. DMs are a bit old-syleish, but FMs are historically correct (so far as possible), and the AI is being constantly improved.

There are mods which widen the scope of the game in many aspects, e.g. towards the post-war jet era, or towards the Spanish Civil War, or towards wwi (look around at SAS1946.com).

If you opt for Il-2, you may want to consider purchasing the DVD edition (some people had issues with downloaded copies).
Old 08-28-2013, 07:33 PM
Approved Member

Clod with the latest patches from team fusion would be a great sim but the project is officially closed. Also the online community is a lot smaller than IL2 and lives substantially around ATAG server which is a full real environment only.
IL2 is still a living community. There's a lot of server still in good shape and you will have a wider choice of gameplay from full real to intermediate to arcade, with lot of scenarios and dozens of planes each with its own personality.
Both sims imho are way ahead from war thunder from a simmer's point of view. If you are used to war thunder you will be amazed by the way they are deep and immersive and by the quality of gameplay they (....and the online pilots of this community...) can offer.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:24 PM
Approved Member

Welcome here!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker_23 View Post
Both fulfill those those demands. The aformentioned ATAG is a rather nice community around CloD and found here. CloD is officially abandoned (to be replaced by Battle of Stalingrad), but further developed by the community. In scope it's limited to the Channel and the time of the Battle of Britain, while that of IL-2 1946 is tremendously wider, the latter being developed by the community, too.
Buy both, test them on your hardware, decide which one you instinctivly feel more comfortable with and find/join a virtual sqaudron in your timezone/geographical vicinity.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Old 08-28-2013, 09:29 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker_23 View Post
Hey,

I am a new enthusiast into the flight sim community. I recently bought a Saitek x52 pro,and i fly in War Thunder with it. War Thunder has some issues,which are annoying,and i want to improve myself.

I have heard many things about the IL-2 franchise,and i really want to try it out.

Now i need help with you,pointing me in the right direction:

I want this:

Now i need help to decide on which one to get from IL-2 :

Cliffs of Dover

or

1946 (on gog.com)

I do not mind the old graphics in 1946,i do not mind the clickable cockpits in CloD,however i heard CloD has a lot of issues?

I don't really care which one is shinier than the other,i want functionality,good base for improvement and such.

I can't get both at the moment.

Thanks.
IL2 1946 patched up to v4.12.1

It has a wider theater of operations and aircraft to suit.

Instal Hyperlobby if online flying interests you > http://hyperfighter.sk/modules.php?n...&orderby=dateA

This will put you in touch with a helpful community who can answer your question in real time.

Hyperlobby also has lots of servers and CooP mission being flown depending on your location time wise.

Have a look at the links already mentioned as there's still development ongoing with the new and old games.

Last edited by KG26_Alpha; 08-29-2013 at 01:39 PM.
Old 08-28-2013, 10:17 PM
Approved Member

A lot depends on how accurate the FM and DM have to be.

But no matter how good, there will be errors and people who complain endlessly about them.
Old 08-29-2013, 07:28 AM
Approved Member

Naturally Artist is correct: get both and try out for yourself.
If you want only one of them go for Il-2 1946 patched to 4.12.1
You can fly on three continents, take part in allmost in all the major battles of WWII in dozens of different aircraft. If you intend to fly offline, there is nothing like Il-2 1946. Thanks to the community you can download hundreds of excellent missions and dozens of exiting campaings for free.
No way to get more value for your money
Old 08-29-2013, 09:10 AM
Approved Member

And the whiners are a small (but vocal) minority, I should have said.
Old 08-30-2013, 09:13 AM
Approved Member

A friendly and helpful community would be a squad , preferably in your prime time flying time zone and one that accepts new recruits (which is practically most of them). A squad will help you with config and stick settings, get you're TeamSpeak comms set up, and hopefully teach you some skills that will help you survive and improve.

There are IL-2 squads in many countries and many fly in multiple games (IL-2, CoD, ROF, etc), so you have options. Check hyperlobby for IL-2 1946 and try out a few servers. There are many versions of the game running from 4.09~4.12.1. HSFX and UltraPack are the two most common mods you will encounter and there are different versions of those running as well.

If you don't like flying in a squad community, then I suggest hanging out on a server that is popular - Warbirds of Prey server is one such and Battlefields is another. There is a lot of options.