Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > King's Bounty > King's Bounty: The Legend > Adventure mode

Adventure mode All you want to know about adventure mode (may contain SPOILERS)

Old 10-03-2008, 12:24 PM
Approved Member

Default This game sure is hard!

Hi guys, I'm new around here.. Just bought the game recently.

Having played both the 89' classic Kings bounty, and all of the games in the heroes of might and magic series. I consider myself a veteran of these games. But in general, this genre has started to bore me ... until I tried Kings Bounty - The legends!

I started out as a fighter on normal skill. I thought we had the same old "get the best type of creep, slaughter everything" rule, but boy I was wrong. I actually had to restart the game, as I ran out of troops relatively quick. Died a couple of times, due to the autocombat feature (Not recommended to use, and won't anymore).

I restarted as mage, and always fight my battles myself. Very challenging. I must say though, I have alot of trouble finding out where to go. I find the questing system alittle chaotic, and abit hard to actually know where to go. Adding locations to the quest description will help alot. Like "You have completed the task the paladin asked you to. You should return to his tower in the marsh lands". I know you can add waypoints, but it shouldn't be that cryptic, hehe.

Now I cleared the entire marshlands, and most parts of the southern and eastern forests. I'm level 7 I think, and I am currently abit stuck. I have lots of quest, but most of them I am unable to completely simply due to the lack of information I get from them.

So I'm looking for some advice! Where should I go next? My current mission from the king, is to visit some kind of island. How do I get there?

Thank you.

Last edited by Writhan; 10-03-2008 at 12:51 PM.
Old 10-03-2008, 12:47 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Writhan View Post
Hi guys, I'm new around here.. Just bought the game recently.

Having played both the 89' classic Kings bounty, and all of the games in the heroes of might and magic series. I consider myself a veteran of these games. But in general, this genre has started to bore me ... until I tried Kings Bounty - The legends!

I started out as a fighter on normal skill. I thought we had the same old "get the best type of creep, slaughter everything" rule, but boy I was wrong. I actually had to restart the game, as I ran out of troops relatively quick. Died a couple of times, due to the autocombat feature (Not recommended to use, and won't anymore).

I restarted as mage, and always fight my battles myself. Very challenging. I must say though, I have alot of trouble finding out where to go. I find the questing system alittle chaotic, and abit hard to actually know where to go. Adding locations to the quest description will help alot. Like "You have completed the task the paladin asked you to, you should return to his tower in the marsh lands". I know you can add waypoints, but it shouldn't be that cryptic, hehe.

Now I cleared the entire marshlands, and most parts of the southern and eastern forests. I'm level 7 I think, and I am currently abit stuck. I have lots of quest, but most of them I am unable to completely simply due to the lack of information I get from them.

So I'm looking for some advice! Where should I go next? My current mission form the king, is to visit some kind of island. How do I get there?

Thank you.
I know exactly what you are talking about, but don't worry!
You made smart move to go on EASY for first time, don't feel ashamed - this is OK. (much more important when you are veteran in HOMM series, as I realized that my mind is too much bound to existing battle engines (for instance when I want to find in my spell book VAMPIRISM from HOMM 5, or when I want to check if my hero has full health from Homm 4, or if my WOG options are correctly set to First Aid Tent II) so you need to adopt the KB TL battle system)
Now the good news - exactly as you mentioned this game is not only graphically nicer copy of the old original, the expertise of the authors who surely played all HOMM series and original KB as well is felt on each inch of the game. I was so excited about such detailed progression in this so many times updated game system, it was like I first time installed WOG or Equilibris - thinking "God, this was really missing in the original game!"

Also what is great plus and hard core HOMM series player is not used to - that during the game you have to actively (sometimes unwillingly) combine/change your armies. And this is GREAT! My first experience from finishing KB TL was equal to 50 single or 25 multi player maps of HOMM 5 3.1 (which is still my second game in likliness)

Long story short:
- yes it is great, and it won't dissapoint you
- Starting on EASY will not take anything from your game experience, it will actually give you the great option to try THREE harder levels. (and Mage is better suitable for early the game or easier, as there is like a CAP for the DMG he can deal with magic, also many creatures later on are imune to most or all of the magic, so Paladin is more handy with his strong ressurection, and on impossible I was scoring best with warrior and huge army of undead )
Old 10-03-2008, 12:50 PM
Approved Member

Try doing some quests without fighting, try to avoid some mobs - there is a lot you can do just running around.
Old 10-03-2008, 01:08 PM
Approved Member

This thread may be helpful.

Quote:
You can place your own notes on the region map screen. If you are unsure about some particular quest, just ask in this thread.

Quote:
So I'm looking for some advice! Where should I go next? My current mission from the king, is to visit some kind of island. How do I get there?
Talk to the dwarf near the starting castle.
Old 10-03-2008, 01:11 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by megakill View Post
Try doing some quests without fighting, try to avoid some mobs - there is a lot you can do just running around.
Agreed.

Some maps you'll be running around doing quests and handling most mobs just fine, but every once in a while the game will throw a wandering mob in there that's way stronger than you. Avoiding it is often a mini-game in itself.

This game truly is great. Other than a few quibbles, like the Quest log which is awful and the map which could use some love, I haven't been this addicted to a game since Sacred. Before that, you have to go back to the Diablo's.
Old 10-03-2008, 01:59 PM
Approved Member

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargol View Post

This game truly is great. Other than a few quibbles, like the Quest log which is awful and the map which could use some love, I haven't been this addicted to a game since Sacred. Before that, you have to go back to the Diablo's.
Amen, bro. I will just replace Diablo/Sacred with Civ 1, Homm 2...Albion ( I know I know, quite oldies )
Questo log is fine IMO.
Maps are great, when i had a glitch with'em, I realized that I just intuitivly took out my good o' paper notebook and pencil, and started to make my own maps in location where the automap is not workin... like gremlins castle or some undergrounds. And then .. "WOW, it is like a centurey when I lately used manual map making!... GREAT!" (actually few months ago I played Ambermoon and Amberstar so I crafted some maps as well, but doing this good old school stuff in game from 2008 is just amazingly flavishing.)
If the expansion/add-on will be out this year, than I am sure that GAME OF YEAR 08 in my rating will be KB, not Homm 5 [3.1]... (sorry HOMM).

Last edited by Gatts; 10-03-2008 at 02:07 PM.
Old 10-03-2008, 01:59 PM
Registered Member

It is a tough game.

I think there is too much randomness. You can really get screwed by spell/troop, and to a much lesser extent, item availability.
Old 10-03-2008, 02:11 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HozzMidnight View Post
It is a tough game.

I think there is too much randomness. You can really get screwed by spell/troop, and to a much lesser extent, item availability.
yep - this time I started as warrior and had quite solid plans to build up strenght with ATT/DEF artefacts - well, all the artefacts whrere + mana or + INT... + Morale to priests (what was the best of them all)
But this is what I like about the game so much... really.
Old 10-03-2008, 06:06 PM
Approved Member

Randomness to some extent is a good feature. But when it can be game breaking/easy mode you know the balance is off. Some spells/troop selection randomness is off.
Old 10-03-2008, 08:22 PM
Registered Member

What i did to make the fights easier in the early darion maps was to get lvl 7, kill the big turtle and then travel straight to freedom islands.
Once there, buy a boat and cruise around some of the island and pickup tons of runes and leadership banners without fighting.
When youre done just travel back to darion and you should have a much easier time because you have alot more troops.
i found it too easy around lvl 10 on medium and started a game on hard..... just travel back and forth the 4 darion maps and pick fights carefully and you should be fine.... it's not as hard as it looks.