Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > King's Bounty > King's Bounty: Armored Princess > Units, artifacts and armor-bearers

Units, artifacts and armor-bearers Discussion, questions and solutions about units, artifacts and armor-bearers.

Old 02-24-2010, 01:56 PM
Approved Member

Default Do level 5 units rule this game?

In the last two games I played, I used units level 4 and below up till the moment when I found level 5 units, at which point I summarily ditched lower level units and played with just the level 5s. I started a new impossible paladin game last night and I'm thinking I could force myself to try out some other lower-level unit combos, but the temptation of using level 5s again might prove too great.

So my question is, are most level 5 units in KB:AP just a tad too good? Or is the balance just right in your opinion?

I think the archdemon, at least, might be overpowered at 1600 leadership and a measly 6000 gold (IIRC).
Old 02-24-2010, 02:07 PM
Approved Member

In my opinion, the balance is good enough. I, personally, rarely use lvl 5 units, unless I need something specific out of them (like the single BD playthrough).

My favorite setup is still:
Paladins
Knights
Archmagi
Royal Griffins
Black Knights/Dryads

Great resistances, a decent number of tanks, damage dealers and support units, all in one.
Old 02-24-2010, 03:09 PM
Approved Member

It all depends on what you are looking for.

An ordinary game? A no-loss game? No buy? Single stack? A challenge to complete the game using only up to lvl 2, or maybe just lvl 1?

And what's a "good" unit? A strong unit? A "cool looking" unit? A unit that's fun to play with?
Old 02-26-2010, 07:44 AM
Approved Member

Paladins (+ knights for bosses), royal griffins seems better than most lvl5.
Old 02-26-2010, 02:36 PM
Approved Member

On my last game, I will usually have at least 2 level 5 units. They are usually great even if is just for the fact that few spells can cripple or neutralize then (none, for black dragons) and because they can take heavy counter-attacks without dying. But most have great skills that make they worth using.

Dragons are always awesome. All three types, but specially black.

Cyclops are very good too: high defense, good damage, great for ranged, awesome in meele.

I loved playing with Trolls on my last game: good defense, high damage, kinda cheap, at night they will auto-heal. Great tanks.

Tirex are awesome: high damage, great speed, eating bodies to heal and gain action points is an incredible skill. Great tanks too.

Also love Ancient Ents: their ranged attack does brutal damage, and they can take a lot of punch too. Haste then and they become very effective.
Old 02-26-2010, 04:55 PM
Approved Member

I think yes, Level 5's are the king of the game, especially dragons. This is less true with a warrior, who has less ways to keep them alive, but even still, you will be hard pressed to fight the urge to bring out the bigguns.

The big difference to me is that you have to worry about ressurrection on your little guys. Look at DG's favorite army list, two Rezzer stacks. Compared to my favorite: (All dragons + Archdemons) you just beat people down and don't ask questions.
Old 02-26-2010, 05:29 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Ludwig View Post
It all depends on what you are looking for.

An ordinary game? A no-loss game? No buy? Single stack? A challenge to complete the game using only up to lvl 2, or maybe just lvl 1?

And what's a "good" unit? A strong unit? A "cool looking" unit? A unit that's fun to play with?
A unit I'd like to bang...
Old 02-26-2010, 05:37 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zechnophobe View Post
I think yes, Level 5's are the king of the game, especially dragons. This is less true with a warrior, who has less ways to keep them alive, but even still, you will be hard pressed to fight the urge to bring out the bigguns.

The big difference to me is that you have to worry about ressurrection on your little guys. Look at DG's favorite army list, two Rezzer stacks. Compared to my favorite: (All dragons + Archdemons) you just beat people down and don't ask questions.
Level 5 units are powerful, without a doubt; like I mentioned in other posts, they learned from their mistake in KBTL and gave level 5 units better stats per leadership, especially dragons.

For a warrior who has more leadership though, I think the droid-undead build is better. I'm running an impossible warrior game right now, currently at Montero, and am having a very easy time getting no-loss against enemies (see screenshot of current build). And I have yet to get the items that reduce leadership costs of these two types: 2 items for undead to reduce leadership by 35% and 3 items for droids that reduce leadership by 45%.

But you are correct, level 5 are great overall. In fact, the last slot in my 5-unit lineup is reserved for undead bone dragons (+3 morale from voice of the dragon and black knights).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg warrior army.JPG (208.7 KB, 238 views)
Old 02-26-2010, 06:02 PM
Approved Member

By the way, did they ever fix the droid morale problem? Since you have so many stacks of them...
Old 02-26-2010, 07:12 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TemjinGold View Post
By the way, did they ever fix the droid morale problem? Since you have so many stacks of them...
I was not aware there was a droid morale problem; did a quick search, couldn't find a post regarding it, could you enlighten me on it?

As far as I know droids always stay neutral (as per description of the Mechanical trait) no matter what item/ability/spell/effect says otherwise.