Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Old 02-05-2011, 09:46 PM
Approved Member

Default cliffs of dover audio thread.

really hoping the dev team get the audios nailed this time, having seen one of the videos so far, the internal audios they are very good, however its the externals? that intrest me more, getting those near perfect will be great.

..................waiting for a decent video on this..

Last edited by diveplane; 02-05-2011 at 09:51 PM.
Old 02-05-2011, 09:59 PM
Approved Member

Who needs to be on the outside of an airplane anyway?

Just joking, but I tend to spend my time inside the cockpit more than outside, but I do hope the ´outside´ sound will be good enough to make some decent videos We've heard some external sounds in the official trailer, but I don't know if those were really ingame as well.
Old 02-06-2011, 03:28 AM
Approved Member

some awesome CGI job & sound here:

http://www.youtube.com/embed/fNJ8rIEPLOo
Old 02-06-2011, 03:29 AM
Approved Member

I'm not going to go dig up the quote, but luthier already mentioned that the audio (engine sounds/ gun sounds) are synthed.... They werent able to aquire real merlin and dimlerbenz recordings but instead are using russian engine recordings that are then tweaked to try and sound like merlins and DBs...

As far as the gun sounds are concerned, he said something like, "we are trying something different", and that "they might take some getting used to".... Not quite sure what he meant by that...

In short, no real SFX in CoD.... Expect something along the lines of what we are familiar with in IL-2.

EDIT: Ok... Dug up the quotes from luthier anyway...
"We're still working on sounds. Engine and gun sounds are pretty good in my opinion, but a lot of people will take some time to get used to them because they're not what you expect, especially guns as heard from inside the cockpit. We got some funny bug reports about that from some beta testers."

"We couldn't record the real Merlin or a Daimler Benz or basically any real engine from BoB era due to a limited budget. There aren't any in Russia, and we couldn't fly out our sound engineer to the UK or Germany with all his equipment.

We do have the recordings of the real engines of course made with various Russian aircraft this summer. Using advanced SFX magic we transformed our samples to sound the way we needed."

Last edited by Biggs; 02-06-2011 at 03:44 AM.
Old 02-06-2011, 01:00 PM
Approved Member

Blimey...Oh dear...dint see that one coming...yes I did... audio is not Important anyway...It has no effect on immersion and thats a fact.
Old 02-06-2011, 01:33 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireflyerz View Post
Blimey...Oh dear...dint see that one coming...yes I did... audio is not Important anyway...It has no effect on immersion and thats a fact.
????
Old 02-06-2011, 01:45 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royraiden View Post
????
fireflyerz was using something which I belive is called, sarcasm

the engine sounds for IL-2 have always been its low point... they seemed to have been derived from different types of lawnmowers and vacuum cleaners

I have faith though, that CoD will have a higher level of synthed engine sounds then that of the orginal series... but yes its a shame that they werent able to get the real sounds in game.

a budget is a budget, and you cant fault them for that.
Old 02-06-2011, 01:58 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggs View Post
fireflyerz was using something which I belive is called, sarcasm

the engine sounds for IL-2 have always been its low point... they seemed to have been derived from different types of lawnmowers and vacuum cleaners

I have faith though, that CoD will have a higher level of synthed engine sounds then that of the orginal series... but yes its a shame that they werent able to get the real sounds in game.

a budget is a budget, and you cant fault them for that.
Sarcasm does not work very well on a written message.I just hope we get sounds similar to the announce trailer,I dont know how real they sound,but its good to me.
Old 02-06-2011, 03:07 PM
Approved Member

Some nice sounds from a Merlin III here, once it gets sarted.

Old 02-06-2011, 03:13 PM
Approved Member

thanks for that,gets the juices flowing