Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > King's Bounty > King's Bounty: The Legend > Battle mode

Battle mode Strategy, hints, questions

Old 11-17-2009, 04:17 AM
Registered Member

Yeah, I found sprites.

I'm finally starting to get the hang of this I think. I'm blowing through some older quests and leveling up. That Giant Spider boss sure scared me, but he was pretty easy.

These questions are unrelated, but I thought I might as well ask them here. I just went to the Underground Sea and was swallowed by the fish. If I leave, is there any way to go back? Also, can I sell scrolls? I want to buy some, but I have too many.

Last edited by Jokubas; 11-17-2009 at 04:30 AM.
Old 11-17-2009, 10:41 AM
Approved Member

No returning to the fish.

You can sell them. When in a castle, go to your spell book.
Old 11-17-2009, 10:21 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jokubas View Post
I always did feel that it was me and not the game, and you proved it here. I pretty much do Rambo through most battles myself, and it's because I'm used to this being true of most games: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...essUsefulSpell

Come to think of it, the Ice Orb has done me some good in distracting my opponents in the past. I really didn't think of using those strategies very much; I feel really stupid now that I know it actually works.

This is my first time playing this game, and my first time playing a game in this exact genre (as I said before, Disciples is close, but differs in key areas like combat).

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'll check back here, but next time I go into the game I'll try to take this stuff into account.

UPDATE: I just replaced my Swordsmen and Horsemen with Lake Fairies and Dryads. I was on my way to getting Sprites and the Dragons you mentioned (neither of which I could find yet), when I was caught by surprise by a tough enemy. At first I was going to load it because I wasn't ready to fight anything, but I decided to try new tactics. I made it through with no losses! I filled the field with Thorns and the Ice Orb, and they never got to me. The only thing I would have done different next time is focus a bit more on their ranged guys, which caused me to have to use a lot of Resurrections.

UPDATE 2: Found the dragons. Right now I'm still experimenting with different combinations, but using thorns, phantoms, and ice orbs as distractions has already saved me a lot.
Good stuff. Now if you can get Anga's Ruby from the quest with the pirates in the Freedom Islands, your female units will be unstoppable. Sprites and Lake Fairies are among the best direct damage units in the game (no retaliation, among other things) and Dryads are so powerful against enemies they can put to sleep it's not funny.
Old 11-17-2009, 11:01 PM
Approved Member

BTW, if you get the Target spell and a good tank - Knights, Horsemen, Giants, or Red/Green dragons - you'll rock. Target lvl 3 keeps the enemies occupied while your female cuties take them out at will
Old 11-18-2009, 11:08 PM
Registered Member

Yeah, I have the ring, and I just recently found Target, but I can't level it up yet.

At the moment, I'm level 18 now and I'm using Archmages, Dryads, Emerald Green Dragons, Elves, and Inquisitors. It's worked pretty well unless there's a lot of ranged or level 4-5 guys.

I'm kind of afraid to use Lake Fairies and Sprites because if they do get hit, they'll get blown away. How exactly should I use them safely?

Oh, and is there anything important in Mehgard? It's one of a few areas I haven't run around much yet.
Old 11-18-2009, 11:29 PM
Approved Member

Mehgard is required in story line, or was it a side quest to close deamon gate??

About fairys: I have used various tactics with them. If u dont have timeback you should mostly do wait on their turn, so they will be last, then you hit with them and after tht there is another round and (wth angas ruby )they are first so you can go back safely. Shortly : play hit and run.
Or with timeback you can just rush with them, phantom spell is also good idea, most of the units will atack phantom first.

When i played both lake fairy and sprite i combined both strats. One rushing with timeback and phantom and second doing hit and run
Old 11-18-2009, 11:33 PM
Approved Member

The girls are best used with a tough unit + magic shield + target. When you hit a lvl 3 on the target spell, any unit lvl 1-4 will attack it AS LONG AS IT IS IN ITS RANGE - meaning as long as with its move points. If it's outside them, it will attack the first closest target, and if that's the fairies, that's a problem. Ranged units will always attack the unit with target spell on it, AS LONG AS THERE'S NO ENEMY UNIT NEXT TO THEM (like your fairies who are taking them out).

With a little care and a little tactical planning, you can rock with the girl party. The only type of enemy you can't use them against is dragons. They'll simply eat up the fairies, so keep 2 strong units in reserve.

As for Mehgard, go there. A few enemies to kill for some more XP never hurts
Old 11-19-2009, 01:59 AM
Registered Member

You all have been a huge help. I looked for help in the past, but I could only find abandoned forums or vague hints.

That group and the ring is pretty powerful.

Unfortunately, I still feel stuck. I've cleared out a good chunk of most areas before the elf area now and I'm now level 18 and a half. My ultimate goal at the moment, the Land of the Dead, is made primarily up of enemies immune to this strategy (whether that be because they're immune to mind spells or that they're higher than level 3).

One problem is that I feel like I really messed up my skills, and maybe made some bad decisions at level up. My skills are all over the place because I picked what fit my playstyle at the time (like getting the one that gives archers, swordsmen, etc. new abilities), and now I don't have enough runes for things like Distortion magic so I can level up Target.

I feel like I should have more mana at this point, because Resurrection level 3 would be really useful, but it wouldn't be efficient enough for the rest of my army.

It still drives me crazy that I was allowed to get to this point in the story fairly easily, and yet I feel like I've almost doubled my playtime since then and it's still seems beyond my ability.

I hope I'm not being too annoying or anything. I am pretty new to this whole thing, and overall I think I've been catching on pretty quickly, but there still seems to be so much more to learn.

Last edited by Jokubas; 11-19-2009 at 02:01 AM.
Old 11-19-2009, 09:34 AM
Approved Member

It's quite all right.

You should check demonis and other areas you haven't visited yet. Demonis usually has a few XP shrines and you may luck out with a few levels that may give you the edge you need. If you got up to lvl 18, this means you're doing ok, even if the skill choices were poor.

General rule of thumb for KBTL and KBAP - there's always a way out, provided you want to look for it
Old 11-19-2009, 07:18 PM
Registered Member

Would it be wise to sell scrolls? There's one I want to buy off a vendor but I need to clear my spellbook first. Honestly, I've never used a scroll outside of putting it in my spellbook.

And are all the Obelisks of Fandor available to me? According to the pyramid's diagram, I'm missing two right next to each other. I've found the eight to the left and the three to the right of them.