Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik > Daidalos Team discussions

Old 10-22-2014, 09:09 AM
Approved Member

Some screenshot on Tunisia map, and a sample of its airfields

La Fauconnerie

Kairouan

Thelepte

Thelepte 2

Youk-les-Bains

hopefully after 4.13

cheers
Old 10-22-2014, 09:26 PM
Approved Member

Looks great! I assume the interesting geography around Mareth will be represented in some way? (I realize the IL-2 map system is fairly limited).
Old 10-22-2014, 10:05 PM
Approved Member

Can we have screenshot from Tobruk map
Old 10-23-2014, 10:43 AM
Approved Member

@shelby: the Tobruk map is almost the same as the Lybia map you can find in any mod pack.

@Icefire: from what I read, the coastal plain was crossed by deep wadis, and some of them were flooded during the battles. Is this what you meant?

cheers
Old 10-23-2014, 06:17 PM
Approved Member

I am curious how you did the Chott el Djerid salt lake.
Old 10-24-2014, 03:32 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by _1SMV_Gitano View Post
@shelby: the Tobruk map is almost the same as the Lybia map you can find in any mod pack.

@Icefire: from what I read, the coastal plain was crossed by deep wadis, and some of them were flooded during the battles. Is this what you meant?

cheers
Yeah. Mareth Line was said to be impassible because of these. I know the terrain system has some limitations but hopefully you can manage to do something with it.

Obviously the Allies did pass it by...
Old 10-24-2014, 06:29 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceFire View Post
Yeah. Mareth Line was said to be impassible because of these. I know the terrain system has some limitations but hopefully you can manage to do something with it.

Obviously the Allies did pass it by...
My Dad had to be there. He told me that his unit lost half of their trucks because they were parked in a wadi while there was heavy rainfall upstream.

Just some impressions from the time between ´41 and ´43:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (60.4 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (61.1 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (60.3 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (3.32 MB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg 5.jpg (60.2 KB, 42 views)
Old 10-26-2014, 08:21 AM
Approved Member

Nice pics Derda, thanks for sharing! The fourth one looks like the passage by the NZ corps through the Tebaga gap...

About wadis, in 2002 I was on a journey in southern Tunisia and witnessed the power of a flooded wadi, which covered the road and threw away some cars (and almost did the same with our bus too). For now, I made them as normal rivers. OTOH, it is true that these were of temporary nature and the 8th Army managed to cross wadi Zigzaou with tanks, so I might modify the geography and mke the wadi only partially flooded.

About the Chott-el-Jerid, for the time being I chose the easiest way, and modelled it as a lake.
Old 10-26-2014, 12:06 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by _1SMV_Gitano View Post
About the Chott-el-Jerid, for the time being I chose the easiest way, and modelled it as a lake.
Pity that you can't create custom salt lake coast textures to provide that blinding white rime of dried salt around flooded salt pans/salt lakes.

re: Wadis and other temporary water features. While much of the fighting in Tunisia took place during the wet season, it would also be cool if you could create a dry season version of the same map, with wadis as land textures rather than rivers and with smaller/shallower salt pans.

I wonder if the IL2 engine could autogenerate such textures/features for desert areas in the same way that the same map can have summer/winter trees and textures.

Summer/Dry in the desert - High ground temperatures during the day, rapildy rising to to ridiculously high by mid-morning, but quickly dropping to surprisingly cold at night. Almost no water features. Massive dust clouds from vehicles/aircraft taking off, visible for miles. Possibly mirage/ground haze effects if IL2 could do that (makes it harder to see distant, low-lying stationary objects, like camouflaged ground vehicles). Strong thermal column effects if IL2 can do that.

Winter/Wet in the desert - Moderate to high ground temps during the day, dropping to really cold at night. Reduced dust clouds. Lots of temporary water features. Mud in low lying areas (if IL2 can simulate mud). No ground haze. Some thermal effects.