Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik > Daidalos Team discussions

Old 04-29-2014, 06:49 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniperton View Post
Anyway, has anyone ever encountered this 'oil on the windsreen' effect on planes other than the 109 (or, possibly, the 190)?
Me thinks the P-40 does that too, or was it the Hurricane?
Old 04-29-2014, 09:41 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by majorfailure View Post
Me thinks the P-40 does that too, or was it the Hurricane?

If I remember correctly, it even happened on the jets in SWOTL, he he he........

Old 04-30-2014, 02:51 AM
Approved Member

Oil on windscreen... appears on all single engined fighters. I don't think there are any exceptions. It's up to the cockpit artist to determine how much.
Old 04-30-2014, 07:29 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceFire View Post
Oil on windscreen... appears on all single engined fighters. I don't think there are any exceptions. It's up to the cockpit artist to determine how much.
But only as a result of damage, not as a result of random mechanical failure, which is what I think the original poster was asking for.

I also wonder if it would be possible to get some variation in how much visibility you lose when an oil leak occurs. It seems that some planes get "messier" than others.
Old 04-30-2014, 10:18 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceFire View Post
I guess the effect is triggered with N percent of probability by hits to the engine block, where N varies from plane to plane, as much as the visual representation of the damage. I understand that N is higher with the 109 due to the position of the oil reservoir tank. What I find strange, however, that N seems to be extremely low for other planes I've flown extensively in the past months: G.50, Mc.200, Finnish Brewster, Hurricane, Yak-1, LaGG-3. In those planes I've been hit hundreds or maybe thousends of times without ever having the oil effect, while every 3rd LMG hit to the engine block of the 109 seems to guarantee for a messy windscreen. This made me doubt whether the effect is modelled at all for other planes.

According to ElAurens 'The KI 61 will oil it's windscreen'. Maybe the effect probabilty is related to the DB powerplant?
Old 04-30-2014, 11:15 AM
Approved Member

Well, the DB design engines are "upside down" compared to Allisons, Merlins, Hispanos, well, every Allied inline, this puts their oiling system/crankcase at the top of the cowling.

This was a big topic of discussion years ago at the old UBI forum.

Do bear in mind this title is over a decade old, and there is only so much that the old girl is capable of, and that DT are all doing this on their own time, so there is also a time constraint on everything we ask for.

Personally I'd place improving the 3D and cockpit models of some of the long suffering aircraft in the game ahead of visual oiling effects.

Personally speaking, the P-40 could contend on an equal footing with all the types of Messerschmitts, almost to the end of 1943.
~Nikolay Gerasimovitch Golodnikov
Old 04-30-2014, 11:50 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniperton View Post
I guess the effect is triggered with N percent of probability by hits to the engine block, where N varies from plane to plane, as much as the visual representation of the damage. I understand that N is higher with the 109 due to the position of the oil reservoir tank. What I find strange, however, that N seems to be extremely low for other planes I've flown extensively in the past months: G.50, Mc.200, Finnish Brewster, Hurricane, Yak-1, LaGG-3. In those planes I've been hit hundreds or maybe thousends of times without ever having the oil effect, while every 3rd LMG hit to the engine block of the 109 seems to guarantee for a messy windscreen. This made me doubt whether the effect is modelled at all for other planes.

According to ElAurens 'The KI 61 will oil it's windscreen'. Maybe the effect probabilty is related to the DB powerplant?
Could be.... the other thing to keep in mind is that the Bf109 is one of the oldest models and one of the oldest damage models in the game alongside the IL-2 and the MiG-3. They were all upgraded but I wonder how well that was done versus the newer models that appeared during the Ace Expansion Pack and Pacific Fighters and everything else after that...
Old 04-30-2014, 05:49 PM
What the heck...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElAurens View Post
Well, the DB design engines are "upside down" compared to Allisons, Merlins, Hispanos, well, every Allied inline, this puts their oiling system/crankcase at the top of the cowling.

This was a big topic of discussion years ago at the old UBI forum.

Do bear in mind this title is over a decade old, and there is only so much that the old girl is capable of, and that DT are all doing this on their own time, so there is also a time constraint on everything we ask for.

Personally I'd place improving the 3D and cockpit models of some of the long suffering aircraft in the game ahead of visual oiling effects.

I remember that topic. It became a big deal. I think it was Billfish who posted archive pics of aircraft that suffered catastrophic oil leaks from battle damage that settled the issue.

I agree there are far more pressing visual issues with this antique game than oil effects on windscreens, and you nailed it with the quality of the legacy cockpits.
Old 04-30-2014, 08:08 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElAurens View Post
Could not agree more

Old 04-30-2014, 08:17 PM
Approved Member

Can't wait to see more of 4.13m

Last edited by nic727; 04-30-2014 at 09:01 PM.