Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik > Daidalos Team discussions

Old 12-13-2014, 03:04 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stovak View Post
Speaking of C47s, I've noticed that if you have icons on, the C47 and Li-2 are both labelled 'Douglas'. Didn't they used to be labelled 'C47' and 'Li-2', at one time, or am I remembering wrongly? The other DC3 variant, the L2D, gets its own label.
There's some inconsistencies in some of the labelling... but it wasn't too unusual for aircraft to sometimes be identified by their parent companies. A few updates would be good to label the C-47 and Li-2 specifically. The IL-4 is also labelled as a DB-3 which is appropriate for the earlier versions but not for the IL-4 version which is otherwise represented separately.

Very minor corrections.
Old 12-13-2014, 03:20 AM
What the heck...?

Lol, wow.

Sita is psychic.
Old 12-13-2014, 09:19 PM
Approved Member

Today I want to talk about the futur. What about a new engine for v. 5.00?

I was looking at some Warthunder screenshots and I know this game is arcade, but the graphics are amazing. I was thinkg about we could take a graphic engine like Unreal Engine 4 or just making a new version of the current Il2 engine... (for that we should just take two years without Il2 1946 update and just focus on improving the game engine) The only thing I don't know is how to completly update the game like that? Maybe a new disc version like a completly new game, but just called Il2 Sturmovik?

There are the pictures I was looking to :

Old 12-13-2014, 11:27 PM
What the heck...?

Frankly, I never thought that War Thunder's graphics - while nice - were all that great (mine are at full-sliders at monitor resolution), especially in the resolution for most of it's aircraft textures, which seem primitively low (though it's a big help with optimization). War Thunder's graphics leaves room for improvement by contemporary standards.

It does feature a lot of new effects like light ghosting, bump mapping, etc. and some other fluff like Sepia, Vignettes, and other filters. I will say that the terrain is quite nicely modelled when cranked to full terrain resolution, however.

At any rate, talking about implementing such drastic changes and building a new environment using IL-2's antique engine is pointless, and it's been discussed before. It's like trying to compete in modern motorsports by installing a turbocharged hybrid V6 with KERS into an old Lotus 49. Cool to talk about and carry out, but ultimately pointless and wasteful and, in the case of IL-2, hardly possible.

In this case, it's just smarter and more economical to build a new game from a clean sheet, as has already been done with BoS. Besides, the modding community has produced some very good maps and effects that maximizes IL-2's capabilities and, in some ways, stresses them. That is about as much as one can expect from this old girl.

Keep in mind that the IL-2 environment is more than twelve years old now...

Last edited by Treetop64; 12-13-2014 at 11:30 PM. Reason: More stoopid grammah and spilling erors
Old 12-13-2014, 11:41 PM
Approved Member

Yeah, you are right about the engine is too old to change everything like that.

Whatever, I don't really like the economic model of Battle of Stalingrad, because I have Rise of Flight and it's annoying that you need to buy the game 2 or 3 times if you want to play on a different account than your brother.

It's just a wish, but what I would like is a complet remake of Il2 1946 with the name of "Il2 Sturmovik" and being made by fans and for fans. Make the same things as IL2 1946 with a lot of free contents, etc. For the moment it's only a wish, but who know, maybe in 5 years (or in two weeks)
Old 12-14-2014, 08:49 PM
Approved Member

nic727,

I think you will find that the title "IL2 Sturmovik" for your proposed fan built sim would get you in front of a copyright judge in short order.

Just sayin'.

What we have now with the original sim, and it's expansions and the work of TD is all we will ever have, and it looks increasingly like we will never see it's equal.

The reasons for it are many and well known to anyone that cares to put an objective eye on the situation of the genre in the wider sphere of electronic gaming, and to be honest about the actions/wants/rants of the player base as well.

We have lived through a golden age, we will not see it's like ever again.

Be sure.

Personally speaking, the P-40 could contend on an equal footing with all the types of Messerschmitts, almost to the end of 1943.
~Nikolay Gerasimovitch Golodnikov
Old 12-15-2014, 12:19 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElAurens View Post
nic727,

I think you will find that the title "IL2 Sturmovik" for your proposed fan built sim would get you in front of a copyright judge in short order.

Just sayin'.
If we ask to 1C?

Whatever, we can always make a game with a new name, but I like Il2 Sturmovik. lol
Old 12-15-2014, 02:09 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nic727 View Post
If we ask to 1C?

Whatever, we can always make a game with a new name, but I like Il2 Sturmovik. lol
1C would defend their claim on the title pretty vigorously I would imagine...

Especially since they have a retail product bearing that name currently selling (IL-2 Stumorvik: Battle of Stalingrad).... http://il2sturmovik.com/
Old 12-15-2014, 02:28 AM
Approved Member

I know that, but my first idea was to remake the game with modern graphic. It was not to make a full new game, yes it can, but my idea was that it could be published by 1C and made by Daidalos Team and some fans.
Old 12-15-2014, 06:05 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nic727 View Post
I know that, but my first idea was to remake the game with modern graphic. It was not to make a full new game,
Are you aware, that remaking the game with modern graphic is pretty much equal to making a full new game?