Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Old 06-30-2012, 03:43 PM
Approved Member

Its a smegging beta you ?£$££$£, do you not know what beta means!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiThSpAwN View Post
Its a glass half full/half empty scenario, we all know the problems, we all know what needs to be fixed it just some people focus on the water they have and some focus on the water that isnt there....
Gigabyte X58A-UD5 | Intel i7 930 | Corsair H70 | ATI 5970 | 6GB Kingston DDR3 | Intel 160GB G2 | Win 7 Ultimate 64 Bit |
MONITOR: Acer S243HL.
CASE: Thermaltake LEVEL 10.
INPUTS: KG13 Warthog, Saitek Pedals, Track IR 4.
Old 06-30-2012, 03:52 PM
Approved Member

Thumbs down

yes... some of us are beta testers for other sims this is why we are cheesed off! the quality, in comparison with other developers (which I am not allowed to mention), timing and communication is the least to say poor for this title!...o sorry I should not speak for the community as some sensitive chaps here will get upset!

Last edited by Aer9o; 06-30-2012 at 03:56 PM.
Old 06-30-2012, 03:56 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aer9o View Post
yes... some of us are beta testers for other sims this is why we are cheesed off! the quality, timing and communication if the least to say poor!
If you don't like being a BETA tester don't download a beta patch... and here I was thinking it was a pretty obvious solution!!

Quote:
Its a glass half full/half empty scenario, we all know the problems, we all know what needs to be fixed it just some people focus on the water they have and some focus on the water that isnt there....
Gigabyte X58A-UD5 | Intel i7 930 | Corsair H70 | ATI 5970 | 6GB Kingston DDR3 | Intel 160GB G2 | Win 7 Ultimate 64 Bit |
Old 06-30-2012, 03:59 PM
Approved Member

I will download anything which promises to better this game which I have paid for and wasted time and money on new hardware to make it work! please consider the release day was more than a year ago!!!
Old 06-30-2012, 04:09 PM
Approved Member

Beta or no beta, the Speedtree trees are probably not suited to be rendered at such a vast distance as a flight game requires without a massive performance hit. I have a sneaky suspicion that it's the reason why the programmers have chosen to create "the box" autogen rendering as it only renders the closest environment and therefor increases performance. I'm not sure there is any way to solve the trees performance without either replacing Speedtree with something else (which would be a very costly and time consuming endeavor) or throwing massive amounts of powerful PC hardware at it. I guess the latter will be the case. I'm aware that it's a beta and luthier has said before that the trees are one of the main culprits when it comes to the performance problems of the game. The current box rendering is improving performance for most of us which is good but it looks horrendous.
Old 06-30-2012, 04:31 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by addman View Post
Beta or no beta, the Speedtree trees are probably not suited to be rendered at such a vast distance as a flight game requires without a massive performance hit. I have a sneaky suspicion that it's the reason why the programmers have chosen to create "the box" autogen rendering as it only renders the closest environment and therefor increases performance. I'm not sure there is any way to solve the trees performance without either replacing Speedtree with something else (which would be a very costly and time consuming endeavor) or throwing massive amounts of powerful PC hardware at it. I guess the latter will be the case. I'm aware that it's a beta and luthier has said before that the trees are one of the main culprits when it comes to the performance problems of the game. The current box rendering is improving performance for most of us which is good but it looks horrendous.
+1

Quote:
Old 06-30-2012, 04:33 PM
Approved Member

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by addman View Post
indeed ...however FPS and stutter is worse for me and many other as I see. I have a top end system based on 3930k @ 4.7 GHz, 680GTX , 16 gig specially build for COD! I have had superb performance in the previous patch which I think I will revert to, the only problem is I will not be able to paly online!
Old 06-30-2012, 04:35 PM
Approved Member

The irony is that the move to speed-tree only happened within the last 2 years or so. The original development shots (showing the spitfire over Shrek Island) showed the group's own trees, which I think looked better at altitude.

Source for the sceptical: http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showpos...11&postcount=9
Old 06-30-2012, 04:37 PM
Approved Member

Once again, too many assumptions in this thread.

Nobody knows if this is an intentional thing, a bug or a limitation.

It's the same thing we had in the previous alpha patch all over again.

People wanted a patch so we got an interim one that was DX10 only. Since the effects are done in DX9 they were not included in the patch. Then people assumed that cutting effects was a "trick" to boost FPS and not something that was brought about by our own desire to get a patch at whatever cost. Then they didn't want DX9 support, even though they wanted the effects.

Now we get effects back and people say they like it, despite the fact that they didn't want to support the API that effects were coded on.

Apparently all that is not irrational and self-contradicting enough, so we get the same thing this week as well with another feature/bug/whatever

As for what is a beta, it's a test. It doesn't promise to improve anything, it promises to test if the improvements work and if they don't, find out what doesn't work so that it can be fixed.

If we want to debate whether speedtree was a good choice or not, we can. But assuming too much while knowing too little will only result in us contradicting ourselves and looking like fools. Why don't we just do what the beta is supposed to be? Download if we want to test, then test and report?
Old 06-30-2012, 06:06 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdog_kt View Post
Once again, too many assumptions in this thread.

Nobody knows if this is an intentional thing, a bug or a limitation.

It's the same thing we had in the previous alpha patch all over again.

People wanted a patch so we got an interim one that was DX10 only. Since the effects are done in DX9 they were not included in the patch. Then people assumed that cutting effects was a "trick" to boost FPS and not something that was brought about by our own desire to get a patch at whatever cost. Then they didn't want DX9 support, even though they wanted the effects.

Now we get effects back and people say they like it, despite the fact that they didn't want to support the API that effects were coded on.

Apparently all that is not irrational and self-contradicting enough, so we get the same thing this week as well with another feature/bug/whatever

As for what is a beta, it's a test. It doesn't promise to improve anything, it promises to test if the improvements work and if they don't, find out what doesn't work so that it can be fixed.

If we want to debate whether speedtree was a good choice or not, we can. But assuming too much while knowing too little will only result in us contradicting ourselves and looking like fools. Why don't we just do what the beta is supposed to be? Download if we want to test, then test and report?
I would bet money on that the auto-gen box is an intentional thing, a quick performance fix if you will and in all fairness I think it's the only thing the devs can do to really improve performance for the vast majority out there. I'm not complaining at all, it just confirms what luthier has mentioned quite a few times, the Speedtree trees are in fact, a problem. Who's talking about effects and directx versions BTW? I thought this thread was about the limited auto-gen box. Nobody's trying to look like a fool here, people are correctly reporting their observations found in the latest beta patch, in this case the limited auto-gen box. You are not giving the devs any credits here, insinuating that they are doing "tricks" to improve performance. Try to be a bit more respectful towards the intellect of the devs and exchange the word "tricks" to "temporary fixes that makes the game playable for everyone, even those that can't afford a nuclear power plant PC rig".