Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

View Poll Results: I will be supporting CLIFFS OF DOVER
Yes 164 90.61%
No 17 9.39%
Voters: 181. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-28-2011, 01:48 AM
Approved Member

I like how this looks:

Old 03-28-2011, 02:39 AM
Approved Member

I still can't believe the way people are overreacting. It's like MG are purposefully trying to screw us. Sort of like they are expecting Oleg Maddox to think there's lots of money for the taking in fooling the WWII combat flight simulator community...

I mean, the industry standard is to shovel out copies of the same games over and over, and release at best a couple of minor fixes until the game is discontinued. So here's this team of people working for years on something that noone else wants to work on, as they have done for the past 10 years with one of your favourite products. They're doing this out of sheer passion, who knows under what difficult and stressful circumstances, to bring you the opportunity of reliving the period you love so dearly in so much more immersion, and all you can do is whine and cancel preorders as if an initial release means anything.

So, take a step back... and grow the heck up. At the very least, show some respect for the people who've done nothing short of continuous, amazing work on your favourite products for a decade.

My pre-order's staying no matter what - even if CloD turns out to be a huge botch, which it won't, I'll at least feel I've somehow contributed a bit more to the developers of the simulator I keep coming to time and time again, for countless hundreds of hours, like no other game has ever managed to do.
Old 03-28-2011, 02:42 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anvilfolk View Post
I still can't believe the way people are overreacting. It's like MG are purposefully trying to screw us. Sort of like they are expecting Oleg Maddox to think there's lots of money for the taking in fooling the WWII combat flight simulator community...

I mean, the industry standard is to shovel out copies of the same games over and over, and release at best a couple of minor fixes until the game is discontinued. So here's this team of people working for years on something that noone else wants to work on, as they have done for the past 10 years with one of your favourite products. They're doing this out of sheer passion, who knows under what difficult and stressful circumstances, to bring you the opportunity of reliving the period you love so dearly in so much more immersion, and all you can do is whine and cancel preorders as if an initial release means anything.

So, take a step back... and grow the heck up. At the very least, show some respect for the people who've done nothing short of continuous, amazing work on your favourite products for a decade.

My pre-order's staying no matter what - even if CloD turns out to be a huge botch, which it won't, I'll at least feel I've somehow contributed a bit more to the developers of the simulator I keep coming to time and time again, for countless hundreds of hours, like no other game has ever managed to do.
Well said.
Old 03-28-2011, 03:27 AM
Approved Member

Great thread!
Old 03-28-2011, 04:02 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertram W. Wooster View Post
I pre-ordered CoD on the strength of previous Il-2 releases. When I read yesterday that it could be bought via YuPlay I had no hesitation in spending a bit of extra money to play the game a bit early. Well, having spent a few hours with it, the sorry state of CoD has burned right through that goodwill and has thoroughly undermined my belief in Maddox Games' as a developer. They can keep my money this time but they have lost all credibility in my eyes and I will never again pre-order or purchase one of their titles sight unseen.
I can understand your disappointment, but the unfortunate truth is flightsims do not make the sort of money that a FPS or console shooters will make, while the development period is very much longer and more difficult, meaning most flightsims these days are released to early and have serious issues on release, the upside is they are usually supported a lot better than an FPS and the entertainment they supply usually lasts a lot longer.

With the cost of good peripherals this is more of a hobby than anything and it is a hobby where patience is required, at $50au I cant really lose, its worth that IMO just for the cockpit modelling, the other COD cost me $99au and was fun for about 3-6 months and then the next version is released for another $99au, you sometimes have to put things into perspective, overall the outlay for this will hopefully be worth every penny.
Old 03-28-2011, 04:32 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOM.Nausicaa View Post
Canceling pre orders is the most stupid and short sighted thing to do. Just after pre ordering a new flight sim, which is the second most stupid and short sighted thing to do.

But anyway, if you have pre ordered you should stick with it now. Canceling just sends a very bad message in form of a excel sheet to a guy in a suit somewhere, who doesn't care if this is maybe the next mother of all flight sims, or a Pokemon against Ninja Turtles game. All what it will do is cutting off support to the executive studio, in this case 1C.

Don't cancel the order guys.
I've pre-ordered a collector's edition via a relative in the UK and i agree with you. I never pre-ordered any kind of game until now, even the previous IL2 titles (which i own most of) i bought by going to a local store, asking the clerk if they will ship it and he would tell me "come back in 3-4 weeks"...i would go there and buy it.

This is the first time i've pre-ordered and to be honest i was thinking of canceling at some point but then i thought it over. I know the developer team's track record which is part of what pushed me to preorder in the first place. The other half of the reason is that i really wanted a box that resembles the flight sims i used to play as a kid, with printed manuals and the like, so since that means a CE and these are usually limited run copies i thought "what the hell, go for it".

In all honesty, i don't subscribe to the "buy it now or the genre dies" rhetoric. That's what people were telling me about RoF but i didn't buy it and it didn't die. I think that people should be free to decide on their own and if they want to wait until a game improves, i have no problem with it because in our genre (small % of the gamers as it is) the guy who passes a title by today is the same guy who will pre-order another title tomorrow because of a few certain features or just a couple of things that caught his eye and he happens to consider important.

What this community suffers from the most is not lack of support for the hobby, but ridiculous amounts of self-contradiction caused by impatience

I can see people day in and day out going into panic mode at the first sign of stutters on a youtube vid and posting threads about canceling their pre-orders, then before you know it the same people could be asking for instructions on how to buy the Russian version because they saw a different vid on youtube that looks awesome on a mid-range PC. This stuff is completely hilarious

It's also what contributes the most to the atmosphere of all-pervading crankiness on these forums, a ton of mixed signals and contradicting posts that serve to further confuse and draw others into the vicious cycle, all because some people can't exercise elementary self and impulse control on their itchy forum posting fingers.

If people were contend to just say "i'm buying because because of reasons ABC" or "i'm going to wait a bit for reasons XYZ" there wouldn't be a problem at all. It's the legions of headless chickens that make a mess of it, which is not far from reasonable expectation: have you ever seen a few dozen headless chickens running around the place? there's blood sputtering all around

My opinion is, let everyone have their opinion, but actually stick to their guns for once:
a) If you pre-ordered to give a boost to the game's launch stick with it, because you're obviously interested enough to want it to succeed. Canceling your pre-order and buying when it's fixed doesn't get you a working game in less time, you'll still have to wait for the patches.

And since you could obviously throw money away on a pre-order just to help "jump-start" the sim, you can not only afford it but you also care enough to do it. If the state of the game upsets you, shelve it for a couple of months and come back to it after a few patches.

b) If you didn't pre-order and are not happy with how things look, feel free to wait it out. But if you said you're doing so, have the decency to back up your words and do it.

There are games i've stated i won't buy unless certain things change and guess what, i didn't buy them because they haven't changed. If whatever feature is important enough to you to keep debating daily on the forums, to the point that you state you won't buy the game until it's done to your standards, i'm just fine with it as long as you do it. There's nothing wrong with pre-release requests and jockeying for public support in favor of something you like, because that's actually the timeframe where a request has some chance of being considered. However, if the game progresses in a course completely divergent to your rock-steady assessment of what it should be, have some common decency to stick by your opinion and not buy it.

The "you"s are impersonal by the way
Old 03-28-2011, 04:40 AM
Approved Member

I purchased IL2 when it first came out. I was much younger and had a computer at that time that would be classified as lower end. I am now a 38 year old American. The original IL2 did not perform perfectly on my system at that time. However, as I upgraded my system as the years went by I was able to have my setting set to max. I have enjoyed the game through the years and have purchased 3 copies through that time period. I am active in the WWII FPS and Flight sim communities. What I have noticed through the years are the younger guys/girls complaining about games and features they want without understanding the economics of what goes in to designing and making a modern day pc game. The original IL2 was designed for future computer engine capabilities. Oleg has stated that they have designed COD to be able to take advantage of future technologies as they become available to the general public. The money/time/risk involved with an adventure of this level I am sure is very nerve racking. It amazes me with discussing with younger individuals the mechanics of economics 101 to have them still cry how they want this and that. Everyone has to realize the limitations of time/money when judging the development of anything. I feel that these are the individuals complaining when they have not even had the opportunity to try the flight sim out. I mean no disrespect to the younger lads here however I feel it is this group that are making up much of the harassing remarks. I am delightfully surprised how attentive the 1C company is on the forums and their responses to issues they will work on. If you want to see future projects like the one they have taken on then please have some respect. Think before you post a disagreeable post before you have had the liberty to even try the sim out. I fear everyone is pre-judging the sim before it is even released in their home country. If you do not support the game then there will be no expansions. The world does not revolve around what you want but what can make money and enable a company to thrive. There has been many years work on this project. First all I would read are people complaining that the sim would never be released. Then when they do release the sim people are complaining that they are not going to buy it because it has some glitches or issues that have already been addressed by the the company that they are going to eagerly work on to fix. All I can say to the complainers is to man up and grow a pair! Post something that will be productive and mature. The people who design these great games that we all love also have lives outside of their work. Show respect for them and this great community and support them to further create additions to this genre. I apologize if some people took offense to this post however I felt that someone had to say these things after reading the non stop drama queen posts the last few days.

Last edited by Porsche; 03-28-2011 at 04:47 AM.
Old 03-28-2011, 09:12 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Communist View Post
Really? What's it called? Is there any info anywhere? Is it going to be an actual sim or just like a WoP sequel?
Hi,

Title is not announced yet, to be expected in the coming weeks. I expect Gaijin to use an improved smooth graphics engine and much refined flight models. There was an interview with Anton Yudintsev in February, read here.

MAC
Old 03-28-2011, 09:27 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACADEMIC View Post
Hi,

Title is not announced yet, to be expected in the coming weeks. I expect Gaijin to use an improved smooth graphics engine and much refined flight models. There was an interview with Anton Yudintsev in February, read here.

MAC
Console... I own a ps3 and the thought of playing any flight simulator game on there makes me cringe and even if it for the pc as well, I have found 90% of the games made for the consoles and pc have led to an inferior product... which makes sense why would you spend tine adding bells and whistles to a pc version that has a smaller consumer base and a high likelihood of being cracked.

That said I will keep an eye our for it but I highly doubt it will be anywhere as close to a sim as clod is but nicer graphics to draw the suckers in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiThSpAwN View Post
Its a glass half full/half empty scenario, we all know the problems, we all know what needs to be fixed it just some people focus on the water they have and some focus on the water that isnt there....
Gigabyte X58A-UD5 | Intel i7 930 | Corsair H70 | ATI 5970 | 6GB Kingston DDR3 | Intel 160GB G2 | Win 7 Ultimate 64 Bit |
MONITOR: Acer S243HL.
CASE: Thermaltake LEVEL 10.
INPUTS: KG13 Warthog, Saitek Pedals, Track IR 4.

Last edited by JG52Krupi; 03-28-2011 at 09:30 AM.