Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Old 07-01-2012, 12:07 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by furbs View Post
Really good advice Krupi, dont use the beta with all the bugs and problems, use the last official patch that no servers run with all the bugs and CTD's.

You know they just call it a beta because its a easy way to explain why the patch still hasn't fixed the bugs, every patch including betas, alphas and official has not fixed the problems, its like putting on a plaster on a missing leg.

This is never going to be fixed, its never going to be a BOB sim,the core engine is flawed and clunky and badly coded, and the devs dont have the time,expertize or skills to turn it around.
Jeez throwing your toys out of the pram again, really you sound so depressed you should be on drugs....

Which problems are still remaining for you, the only thing that is bad for me atm really is that smoke reduces my fps oh and the defects in the 109 cockpit other than that 55-60fps average so can you tell me something, are you still experiencing bad things with the game or is it that you and tree got your knickers in such a twist that you are struggling to undo them because as far as I can tell one of your squad mates is flying COD basically every night! Perhaps you should ask him how he installed the beta looks like you might be doing something wrong!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiThSpAwN View Post
Its a glass half full/half empty scenario, we all know the problems, we all know what needs to be fixed it just some people focus on the water they have and some focus on the water that isnt there....
Gigabyte X58A-UD5 | Intel i7 930 | Corsair H70 | ATI 5970 | 6GB Kingston DDR3 | Intel 160GB G2 | Win 7 Ultimate 64 Bit |
MONITOR: Acer S243HL.
CASE: Thermaltake LEVEL 10.
INPUTS: KG13 Warthog, Saitek Pedals, Track IR 4.
Old 07-01-2012, 03:23 PM
Approved Member

The problem Krupi is COD will never be a BOB sim, lets say they fix all the bugs(unlikely i know), what then? How do sqds get involved? how do we have online wars? we dont have proper COOPs, yes we have a sort of COOP that needs workarounds but its no use for online wars.

We have no single player experience to speak off, you cant enter a pilot name or join a sqd and fight a campaign. Where is the sense of fighting the greatest air battle ever? where is the immersion and history? Where are the scrambles, radar and ground control?

So COD will always be a small engagement sim over the coast at zero feet, single fighters flying across the channel to fight other single fighters or vulch single aircraft taking off. Its a deathmatch with planes nothing more.

The sims concept is flawed and limited, unless that changes (it wont for COD we all know there is no more content) with BOM, all we will have is the same sim experience again only with a new map and planes.

So no knickers in a twist here, just the hard truth.
Old 07-01-2012, 05:46 PM
Approved Member

There will never be a BoB-sim with that much detail!!

Now the developement time is too high and the customer base too nitpicking and too small.

In the future there might be ways to get high quality models and content in a reasonable timeline, but then the customerbase isn't there anymore or wants to play the sim on a console.
Old 07-01-2012, 07:33 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by furbs View Post
The problem Krupi is COD will never be a BOB sim, lets say they fix all the bugs(unlikely i know), what then? How do sqds get involved? how do we have online wars? we dont have proper COOPs, yes we have a sort of COOP that needs workarounds but its no use for online wars.

We have no single player experience to speak off, you cant enter a pilot name or join a sqd and fight a campaign. Where is the sense of fighting the greatest air battle ever? where is the immersion and history? Where are the scrambles, radar and ground control?

So COD will always be a small engagement sim over the coast at zero feet, single fighters flying across the channel to fight other single fighters or vulch single aircraft taking off. Its a deathmatch with planes nothing more.

The sims concept is flawed and limited, unless that changes (it wont for COD we all know there is no more content) with BOM, all we will have is the same sim experience again only with a new map and planes.

So no knickers in a twist here, just the hard truth.
Unfortunately the hard truth is that COD was never going to be a complete BOB simulator...

You would have to make shortcuts in other areas of the game to be able to field the huge number of aircraft that would have to be flying to fully simulate bob.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiThSpAwN View Post
Its a glass half full/half empty scenario, we all know the problems, we all know what needs to be fixed it just some people focus on the water they have and some focus on the water that isnt there....
Gigabyte X58A-UD5 | Intel i7 930 | Corsair H70 | ATI 5970 | 6GB Kingston DDR3 | Intel 160GB G2 | Win 7 Ultimate 64 Bit |
MONITOR: Acer S243HL.
CASE: Thermaltake LEVEL 10.
INPUTS: KG13 Warthog, Saitek Pedals, Track IR 4.
Old 07-01-2012, 09:17 PM
Approved Member

it doesn't have to be 100's of aircraft, 50-60 would be fine, Its not the numbers that's important, its more about simulating what it was like to take part in the battle.
Missions should be about Scrambles (British) and being vectored onto targets by ground control, its about joining frontline sqds after training and having fellow pilots to fly with, logbooks and feeling of trying to stay alive to the end of the battle.
Its not about a crap storyline driven series of missions where no mission is relevant to the next or it doesn't matter if you live or die and no flippin SPITGIRL!
Flight sims have managed this for the last 20 years, why not COD?

Online needs more than pointless dogfights with a few aircraft at zero feet, your telling me online resembles taking part in the battle or any sort of real life missions for that matter? give me a break.

The missing COOP's are almost criminal, the one chance of giving COD a long life and having online sqds(or anyone else) take part in wars like VEF has been dumped in the bin.

Im not depressed, im just fecked off at the bleedin shambles COD has been from before release right up to this moment.

Edit. This in no way is a dig at ATAG or any other servers, ATAG does a great job with the tools available and ive always been impressed by them.

Last edited by furbs; 07-01-2012 at 09:31 PM.
Old 07-01-2012, 09:35 PM
Approved Member

The thing is.. I understand your frustration, Furbs, as I can see that the devs did make some rather odd decisions along the way. It would also be great to have more purpose and meaning behind the missions in single player also. Multiplayer, on the other hand, is a case of getting out of it what you put into it. Sure... for some it is just airquake, and there's nothing wrong with that, but there are people out there beavering away constantly making campaigns, historical missions etc. It may not be exactly like the Battle of Britain, maybe, but the technology for that kind of thing is still years away and, even then, until they find a way of building holodecks like in Star Trek, with the added ability to convince you that, if you fail to open the hatch, jump out and engage your parachute... you really ARE going to die..... You will never have a simulation that comes even close to the real thing. To be honest with you, teeth curling, eye popping terror and heavily browned underwear isn't really my cup of tea when it comes to entertainment.

I think many of us jumped into this with high expectations and, whether we want to admit it or not, fairly unreasonable ones at that. I would go so far as to say Oleg (Who is responsible for much of those expectations) was a dreamer... and dreamers are great! They are the people of vision who make this world what it is and, where you find a dreamer, you find innovation.... but for every great idea they have, there are the 100 that just aren't practical. What we do have, though, is a simulation as close to that vision as is possible for now.... of course it would help if it worked properly.

As for coop..... you just open a mission in the FMB and reconfigure it to allow coop. It is there... just not signposted.

Last edited by Volksieg; 07-01-2012 at 09:40 PM.
Old 07-02-2012, 06:44 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volksieg View Post
The thing is.. I understand your frustration, Furbs, as I can see that the devs did make some rather odd decisions along the way. It would also be great to have more purpose and meaning behind the missions in single player also. Multiplayer, on the other hand, is a case of getting out of it what you put into it. Sure... for some it is just airquake, and there's nothing wrong with that, but there are people out there beavering away constantly making campaigns, historical missions etc. It may not be exactly like the Battle of Britain, maybe, but the technology for that kind of thing is still years away and, even then, until they find a way of building holodecks like in Star Trek, with the added ability to convince you that, if you fail to open the hatch, jump out and engage your parachute... you really ARE going to die..... You will never have a simulation that comes even close to the real thing. To be honest with you, teeth curling, eye popping terror and heavily browned underwear isn't really my cup of tea when it comes to entertainment.

I think many of us jumped into this with high expectations and, whether we want to admit it or not, fairly unreasonable ones at that. I would go so far as to say Oleg (Who is responsible for much of those expectations) was a dreamer... and dreamers are great! They are the people of vision who make this world what it is and, where you find a dreamer, you find innovation.... but for every great idea they have, there are the 100 that just aren't practical. What we do have, though, is a simulation as close to that vision as is possible for now.... of course it would help if it worked properly.

As for coop..... you just open a mission in the FMB and reconfigure it to allow coop. It is there... just not signposted.
Yes i had expectations, expectations of been able to fly in single player campaigns that resembled the actual battle the sim is named after.

Im sorry but COOP's dont work well enough for online wars by a long shot, not even close, but whats hard to fathom is how they were left out? how can a team that made IL2 and must of known about VEF and all the other online wars decide they are not vitally important for the long life of COD?

Whats going to happen to COD once BOM is out? there are about 50 people in the world playing COD online most nights, that's it. Once BOM is out that number will drop, and then what?

If there isn't a change in the online concept and a radical change in the net code(just ask bliss) were in for much of the same again.

They have had 4 years to work with the code and still it seems they cant get a handle on it, each patch brings more bugs and problems...you cant start the hurri on the ground?? jesus wept, dont they test there own patches? I know its a beta...blah blah blah. How many beta patches has ROF done?

Luthier now hides behind B6 and doesn't post anymore(apart from the updates that B6 copies and pastes), where have the road maps and future plans gone?

18 months after release and were still in "beta" with no end in sight, and even with all the bug fixes in the world, COD is still going to be no better in the long run or re-guarding online wars than what we have now.
Old 07-02-2012, 07:09 AM
Approved Member

I have enouph trees (wheres tree_UK btw??)

Heres my config.ini if you want to try yourself:

Code:
[core]
RandSeed = 0
TexQual=2
TexFlags.PolygonStipple=0
Shadows=0
SpecularLight=2
DiffuseLight=2
DynamicalLights=1
MeshDetail=1
LandShading=1