Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Technical threads > FM/DM threads

FM/DM threads Everything about FM/DM in CoD

Old 11-05-2012, 08:37 PM
Approved Member

Default E4 CEM since patch

Forgive me for being a bit lazy here but I haven't had much time for this game lately.

I've played online maybe 3 quick times since the new patch and decided to be lazy and take the E4 with auto prop pitch as I'm out of practice. I've had my radiators open fully, encountered an enemy, closed radiators to half, engaged the WEP done a spiral climb and in a few seconds windscreen is covered in oil. Got fed up and quit the game.

I've just got too much going on to invest into going full nerd with this game as I used to do. So I thought can someone please explain what has changed in CEM and what I did wrong?

I think I also noticed that opening the water radiator fully didn't seem to change the coolant temp at all whilst cruising over the channel.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:56 PM
Approved Member

3/4 is enough in all case, the half is too few (the water will slowly boil), the full is too much (slows the plane 10-20 km/h). Use wep only in emergency. Hope it helps

i7 7700K 4.8GHz, 32GB Ram 3GHz, MSI GTX 1070 8GB, 27' 1920x1080, W10/64, TrackIR 4Pro, G940
Cliffs of Dover Bugtracker site: share and vote issues here
Old 11-06-2012, 02:08 PM
Approved Member

Did you open the oil cooler aswell?
Old 11-06-2012, 03:53 PM
Approved Member

The CEM of the E-4 is wrong from the beginning. If you throttle down your RPM goes down and Ata stays by 1,3, which is wrong and would kill your engine in real life.

Ata and RPM should get reduced by reducing throttle.
A little example:

Your fly with 1,45Ata (1-min. power = emergency full throttle) with 2468 rpm
and you reduce your throttle to 1,35Ata 5-min. power(full throttle) then rpm goes automatically down to 2368 rpm and hold them.
If you reduce the throttle down to 1,30Ata then rpm will level off by 2326 rpm.
And so on.

Or else the manuals for the Bf 109 and Bf 110 (I think it was a Bf 110 manual/will search it later) wouldn't make any sense when they write "when in automatic mode fly after Ata settings".
Old 11-06-2012, 05:58 PM
Approved Member

OK, the text says "Fly regarding to rpm, observe manifold pressure as control."

bf 110 E auto rpm-pressure.jpg

Source: "D.(Luft) T.2416/1 Bf 110 E mit 2 Motoren DB 601 A oder DB 601 N - Kurzbetriebsanleitung" from Oct. 1940

Last edited by Kodoss; 11-06-2012 at 06:00 PM.
Old 11-06-2012, 06:28 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5./JG27.Farber View Post
This.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:27 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodoss View Post
The CEM of the E-4 is wrong from the beginning. If you throttle down your RPM goes down and Ata stays by 1,3, which is wrong and would kill your engine in real life.

Ata and RPM should get reduced by reducing throttle.
A little example:

Your fly with 1,45Ata (1-min. power = emergency full throttle) with 2468 rpm
and you reduce your throttle to 1,35Ata 5-min. power(full throttle) then rpm goes automatically down to 2368 rpm and hold them.
If you reduce the throttle down to 1,30Ata then rpm will level off by 2326 rpm.
And so on.

Or else the manuals for the Bf 109 and Bf 110 (I think it was a Bf 110 manual/will search it later) wouldn't make any sense when they write "when in automatic mode fly after Ata settings".
What are you saying here its confusing me. In CLOD If I am in AUTO and I pull the throttle back both ATA and consequently RPM reduce. RPM is scheduled as a function of throttle position not ATA..... which I believe is correct in the simple DB601 Auto system (i.e. Non Kommandgerate which is far more comprehensive)

In addition reducing RPM before ATA (though not a good practice IRL) wont necessarily damage the engine unless you reach some detonation threshold of low rpm v ATA. I dont see how you can do this anyway in AUTO.

As to the statement ""Fly regarding to rpm, observe manifold pressure as control." what is your interpretation of this in terms of practical pilotage with AUTO in operation ? Are you saying the pilot uses the throttle to set an RPM and just accepts the ATA rather than setting an ATA and accepting the RPM ? ... I can sort of see the logic in this but only in an AUTO CSU system.

The convention with a standard (Non AUTO CSU) is to set ATA/BOOST/MAP to a desired value then set the desired RPM ... ideally with RPM leading the Boost on the way up and lagging on the way down.

Last edited by IvanK; 11-06-2012 at 08:29 PM.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:35 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5./JG27.Farber View Post
yep oil and water both set on 1/2 just like I've always done in this sim.
Old 11-07-2012, 10:26 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xnomad View Post
I've had my radiators open fully, encountered an enemy, closed radiators to half, engaged the WEP done a spiral climb and in a few seconds windscreen is covered in oil.
WEP + steep climb + 1/2 open radiators = dead engine

If you are in a hard climb and your airspeed drops below 250ish you need to open rads or you will overheat quickly. Using WEP will aggravate it more as will higher alt.
Old 11-07-2012, 01:07 PM
Approved Member

There's some sort of bug with the E-4 auto prop system - namely that by default it just doesn't work. Dis-engaging AUTO and adjusting the propeller angle manually a bit and then switching back to AUTO fixes it though... >/
Il-2Bugtracker: Feature #200: Missing 100 octane subtypes of Bf 109E and Bf 110C http://www.il2bugtracker.com/issues/200
Il-2Bugtracker: Bug #415: Spitfire Mk I, Ia, and Mk II: Stability and Control http://www.il2bugtracker.com/issues/415

Kurfürst - Your resource site on Bf 109 performance! http://kurfurst.org