Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Technical threads > FM/DM threads

FM/DM threads Everything about FM/DM in CoD

Closed Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 01:47 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewulf View Post
Well, on the basis of the info supplied by Schlageter and Random Nonsense it appears that I was wrong about the slats. I withdraw and apologize.
You might want to ponder why in some photos the slats are out, in other photos the slats are in and in other photos one side is in and the other side is out.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:31 AM
zipper

Yepper, on the ground they will either stay out or stay retracted. I've played around with the real thing, too, and they are springless Handley Page slats all the way. (The very first versions of HP slats did use small springs.)
Old 11-04-2012, 08:48 AM
Il-2 enthusiast & Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5./JG27.Farber View Post
Wikipedia is by far the worst source for any information.
That's just not true, on average it's a great free source of accurate information. It is, as with any other source, still advisable to double check against another source.

WRT the slats, the flight model and the slat animation are not necessarily linked. You can have the full benefit of the slats in terms of stall speed and handling, without ever seeing them move. Other way round is also possible. You can most easily check if they are in the FM by determining the maximum power off lift coefficient.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:39 PM
Approved Member

Would you please get out of this thread with that silly nitpick dispute?

To re-formulate the original question: Do the Leading Edge Slats work properly in CoD or not?
Old 11-12-2012, 02:29 AM
Registered Member

I think the aerodynamic effect of Bf-109´s slats, is bad modeled in CloD.

I was watching the Bf-109 flying in Berlin last September, and he did very fast maneuvers without going into stall, or spins.
It´s a very beautifull airplane

You can see the video here:
Old 11-12-2012, 07:45 AM
Approved Member

Slats do not prevent stalls or spins they simply delay a stall and allow a higher angle of attack, just because an aircraft has slats it does not mean you can just pull it around without penalty.

The 109 in the video didn't stall or spin because the pilot didn't take it to the limits.

Intel Q9550 @3.3ghz(OC), Asus rampage extreme MOBO, Nvidia GTX470 1.2Gb Vram, 8Gb DDR3 Ram, Win 7 64bit ultimate edition
Old 11-12-2012, 08:33 AM
Approved Member

yes, bongodriver, good news, we're all positive now about that fact, and how slats work (and were for some time, I think.).

Back to my original question: I tested a little bit in an E-4B and, besides seeing the slats actually moving for the first time, I noticed (subjectively, of course) a somewhat improved handling at slow speeds. So, to answer my own question: Yes, perhaps the LES are probably working now. If they are properly tuned to reflect RL-Performance, I do not know, however.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:39 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redroach View Post
yes, bongodriver, good news, we're all positive now about that fact, and how slats work (and were for some time, I think.).

Back to my original question: I tested a little bit in an E-4B and, besides seeing the slats actually moving for the first time, I noticed (subjectively, of course) a somewhat improved handling at slow speeds. So, to answer my own question: Yes, perhaps the LES are probably working now. If they are properly tuned to reflect RL-Performance, I do not know, however.
You don't need to take my post personally, I'm sure you can see I'm explaining it to some who don't understand these things, as to your original question it has already been shown that in order to find out if slats are working you need to compare it against performance without operative slats.....how to do it is the tricky part.

Intel Q9550 @3.3ghz(OC), Asus rampage extreme MOBO, Nvidia GTX470 1.2Gb Vram, 8Gb DDR3 Ram, Win 7 64bit ultimate edition
Old 11-12-2012, 08:32 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bongodriver View Post
Slats do not prevent stalls or spins they simply delay a stall and allow a higher angle of attack, just because an aircraft has slats it does not mean you can just pull it around without penalty.

The 109 in the video didn't stall or spin because the pilot didn't take it to the limits.
I agree with you on that first .. but I'm sure that with a Bf-109E in the CloD, you can not do some maneuvers as in reality, (such as, closed scissors, or Immelmann turn) at speeds flight from reality, because the aircraft enters itself in a spin unreal and unrecoverable.
We need to improve the Bf-109 FM more accurately.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:41 PM
Approved Member

the FM's of all the aircraft need improving.

Closed Thread