Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Technical threads > FM/DM threads

FM/DM threads Everything about FM/DM in CoD

Closed Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 07:14 PM
Approved Member

Question Leading Edge Slats on the Me-109

Hmm, well, I'm really uncertain about the Slats on the various Bf-109 models.
I've never seen them moving, optically, so the tendency might be that they still don't work, do they?
I'm not especially familiar with the Me-109 precisely because of that reason, and as long as they won't work, I'm not getting into an 109 cockpit in earnest.
Soo... do they actually work now?
Old 10-31-2012, 08:08 PM
Approved Member

Yes, as your speed drops below 300 kmh or so they will pop out. Unfortunately, there is no noise as many accounts say they came out with quite a loud bang that would startle a novice pilot.
Old 10-31-2012, 08:16 PM
Approved Member

Ah okay, thank you!
Old 11-01-2012, 12:24 AM
Approved Member

The slats were spring loaded and extended or retracted depending on the amount of air pressure being exerted on the leading edge. If you suddenly stalled one wing the slat on that wing might extend suddenly but typically they would extend gradually as airspeed dropped below 200k.

Because the slats could extend asymmetrically, this could result in an uneven airflow over the wings.
Old 11-01-2012, 02:45 AM
Approved Member

Nevertheless I dont have the impression the slats work liable as it did in Il2 1946. Means I cant observe the slats extracting each time i am below 240kmh or even 210kmh.
Even if the slats extract, I cant notice the effect, imho the feature isnt implemented to its final state.
Old 11-01-2012, 07:05 AM
Approved Member

IMHO the easiest way to test the FM effect of leading edge slats is to compare the Tiger with locked and unlocked slats.
Old 11-01-2012, 10:52 AM
Approved Member

Didnt notice the Tiger got some
Old 11-01-2012, 11:09 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewulf View Post
The slats were spring loaded and extended or retracted depending on the amount of air pressure being exerted on the leading edge. If you suddenly stalled one wing the slat on that wing might extend suddenly but typically they would extend gradually as airspeed dropped below 200k.

Because the slats could extend asymmetrically, this could result in an uneven airflow over the wings.
Hi,

There is no spring in the Me 109 slats, they are sucked out by air pressure. AFAIK they are more actuated by the angle of attack of the wing and designed that if it reaches crticial angle, they would deploy. That's why they are working independent, i.e. if they deploy assimetrically, it means that one of the wings have reached a critical angle of attack, the other did not. The uneven airflow is a cause and not an effect of their deployment (if they would not deploy on that wing, the wing would detach the airflow stall).

The very reason of their employment is to make sure that once the wing is near stalling, the slats, by their deployment would keep the outer portion of the wing from stalling, so that ailerons would be still effective.
Il-2Bugtracker: Feature #200: Missing 100 octane subtypes of Bf 109E and Bf 110C http://www.il2bugtracker.com/issues/200
Il-2Bugtracker: Bug #415: Spitfire Mk I, Ia, and Mk II: Stability and Control http://www.il2bugtracker.com/issues/415

Kurfürst - Your resource site on Bf 109 performance! http://kurfurst.org
Old 11-01-2012, 11:42 AM
Approved Member

S!

As Kurfürst said, the slats on Bf109 have no springs. They are on rails sliding forth and back depending on AoA. Moved them on the Finnish Bf109G-6 in Tikkakoski.
Old 11-01-2012, 01:07 PM
Approved Member

Mh there still seem to be doubts... optically, some confirm that they work, but functionally?
My personal, albeit not extensive, experience, is that the Me-109s are VERY flimsy at slow speeds, when compared to its IL-2 1946 incarnations. Every remotely hard aileron/rudder input could lead into a spin imho - that's why I was asking.
Closed Thread