Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Technical threads > FM/DM threads

FM/DM threads Everything about FM/DM in CoD

Old 10-26-2012, 10:46 AM
Approved Member

Default What is the best performing Red fighter & why?

I'm curious to know what you think is the is the best performing Red fighter on online servers & why?

Personally i have not flown the variety of types enough to guage, so would love to hear what you think.

Cheers.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:42 AM
Approved Member

Im sure it would come down to personnal preference but mine is the 100 oct hurri. Fast up high and with boost on down low. Stable gun platform. Out turns 109's most of the time.
Old 10-26-2012, 12:16 PM
Approved Member

This is quite a funny thing from a blue perspective, as we have seen red switch again and again and go all around the houses. First it was the Hurri Rotol, then the spit IIa then the two stage prop stuff... Right now I'd say it was mostly the spit Ia but sometimes and equal dose of the hurri 100 oct.

Maybe you should have made this a poll. - However its funny you ask which is the best performing and not which is the most popular... Two totally different questions.
Old 10-26-2012, 12:23 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5./JG27.Farber View Post
This is quite a funny thing from a blue perspective, as we have seen red switch again and again and go all around the houses. First it was the Hurri Rotol, then the spit IIa then the two stage prop stuff... Right now I'd say it was mostly the spit Ia but sometimes and equal dose of the hurri 100 oct.

Maybe you should have made this a poll. - However its funny you ask which is the best performing and not which is the most popular... Two totally different questions.
This is kind of why i asked the question... I have literally no idea, with all the changes over the various patches and my lack of understanding on how to get the best out of each plane it is hard for me to test correctly. I'm very curious to know what others think / know.

I must admit I've very pleasantly surprised the only answer so far has been a Hurricane!

Anyway would love to hear your opinions.

(I tend to use the Spit 2a as it has the biggest number in its name.. so must be best! )
Old 10-26-2012, 12:30 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadTommy View Post
(I tend to use the Spit 2a as it has the biggest number in its name.. so must be best! )
Yes I still see this sometimes and thought they were flying it for the same reason. The fear factor of the Spit IIa is gone but the confidence factor for some guys flying it remains... Whereas the SpitIa IS to be feared and is rightly so. However the lesser feared hurricane in the right place is usually fatal.
Old 10-26-2012, 09:39 PM
Approved Member

Salute

The question as to what is the best Red plane is a question of altitude.

Below 9000 ft, the point at which the engine cutout bug appears for the Spit IA 100 octane, it is the best Red plane. It climbs the best, turns the best, and is the fastest.

Over 9000 ft, the Spit IIA is the best option for the Reds. It does not on the surface have issues with the engine cutout bug, however, it is very prone to overheating at 15,000 ft +, and recently I have discovered that running max. boost at altitudes over approx. 16,000 can cause engine failure in a very short time, even if heat was correct when boost was applied. Since the boost levels at that altitude are below what was rated as within 30 minute allowance, the plane is obviously not modelled correctly.

The Hurricanes are a step below the Spitfires, although strange as it seems, and totally in defiance of the historical reality, the Hurricane I 100 octane is better than the Spit IA 100 octane at 15,000 ft... but not good enough to fight the 109's up there on even terms.

Overall the Hurricanes are best used below 10,000 ft, not an acccurate representation of their real performance, historically they were capable up their Full throttle height, approx. 17,000 ft.

The Spit IA 87 octane is also better than the Spit IA 100 octane over 9000 ft, (also ahistorical) and in fact is the next best plane to the Spit IIA at those altitudes.

The Spit I is also better than the Spit 1A 100 octane at altitude, although I think it is not quite as good as the IA.

And of course, it all depends on the pilot, 109's are shot down by Hurricanes, although the numbers of players flying the Hurricanes is again in decline.

What's the best plane to shoot down bombers with? The Hurricane. It's gun placement makes it more effective. I usually get 2-4 bombers with a Hurricane compared to 1-3 with a Spitfire, depending on the type. Of course compared to the 110, the Hurricane is pathetic, I got 7 Blenheims once with a 110, and would have had more if a Hurricane hadn't appeared in the defence of the last one.

Last edited by *Buzzsaw*; 10-26-2012 at 09:48 PM.
Old 10-26-2012, 10:35 PM
Approved Member

Thanks for taking the time to reply *Buzzsaw*, very helpful analysis, and paints an interesting and confusing picture.

Basically there is no one fighter of choice... i certainly love the Hurri as a gun platform for bomber hunting. I have not flown any of the 100oct fighters.. will have to get them airborne. I prefer the visibility from the Spit's bubble glass canopy.

Thanks again for an interesting write up.
Old 10-27-2012, 12:17 AM
Approved Member

Thats the thing with the red side through out WWII, so many different fighters. Its actually what makes the blue side challenging. (although here when I refer to the blue side) The Luftwaffe only have two "mainstream" "fighters" - the 109 and 190 but many more opponants, althought you (on the blue side) get to keep the same aircraft (through its many veriations). Although on the red side you get allot more variation...
Old 10-27-2012, 12:45 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5./JG27.Farber View Post
Thats the thing with the red side through out WWII, so many different fighters. Its actually what makes the blue side challenging. (although here when I refer to the blue side) The Luftwaffe only have two "mainstream" "fighters" - the 109 and 190 but many more opponants, althought you (on the blue side) get to keep the same aircraft (through its many veriations). Although on the red side you get allot more variation...
In this case a disadvantage, with having to use different models for different altitudes, since the historical performance is not there.
Old 10-27-2012, 02:36 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Buzzsaw* View Post
In this case a disadvantage, with having to use different models for different altitudes, since the historical performance is not there.
Tell that to the spits on my tail and the sneaky Hurricanes!