Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Technical threads > FM/DM threads

FM/DM threads Everything about FM/DM in CoD

Old 09-25-2012, 12:09 AM
Approved Member

B-26 on one engine.

Old 09-25-2012, 12:26 AM
Approved Member

Apparently during a demo flight of the de Havilland Hornet the pilot flew it with both propellers feathered, then restarted one engine and put on an aerobatics display.

Last edited by NZtyphoon; 09-25-2012 at 12:37 AM.
Old 09-25-2012, 06:54 AM
Approved Member

I have never managed to keep a 110 flying on one engine in CoD, probably carrying too much fuel. The He111 is quite easy to fly on one engine.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:41 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG52Uther View Post
I have never managed to keep a 110 flying on one engine in CoD, probably carrying too much fuel. The He111 is quite easy to fly on one engine.
I haven't yet flown the CLOD 110, but I do know that in real life it was possible to dive and fly the D-0 Dackelbauch on one engine, with fuel tank still attached, and land it at home base:

Old 09-25-2012, 11:45 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
So the answer is no you don't fly the Bf110 on one engine in CloD.

That is not realistic.

Quote:
Eric Brown's comments on BF110 single engine performance from "Wings of the Luftwaffe"
For a twin operating on a single engine....

There is not a single twin engine aircraft ever designed that operating on a single engine unintentionally was not an emergency procedure.
Old 09-25-2012, 12:00 PM
Approved Member

In the P-38 Flight Operating Instructions, located in Chapter
IV EMERGENCY PROCEDURES, you will find the instructions for single engine operation on page 39, section 5.
Old 09-25-2012, 03:02 PM
Approved Member

Here are a few more P-38 accounts..

That prove it was no big deal to fly on one engine..

Keep in mind these accounts are from actual military trained pilots that flew the P-38 WWII!

That is to say, a modern civ trained pilot may read something in the pilots manual some 70 years after the fact and falsly conclude that all twins require must land ASAP and avoid any sort of maneuver other than level flight while looking for a place to ditch..

But as you can see from the following accounts, that was not the case at all

Quote:
Stan Wood: Two engines in the P-38 gives a person a feeling of security that one engine can never do. I came back once with an oil fire in my right engine and landing with the remaining engine was no trouble.

Regarding flying the 38 with one engine feathered, I was told that one should not turn into a dead engine. However, I remember a demonstration by Tony Lavier who feathered an engine on takeoff and then did a slow roll into the dead engine. Tony was one of the original test pilots on the 38 for Lockheed and could do things with it that were almost impossible. I wouldn't have even tried it at altitude let alone on takeoff.

Quote:
Captain Stan Richardson: The airplane was a "dream" on single-engine. While I was instructing in P-38's at Muroc AAF, on occasion the instructor and three students (four ship flight) would each feather the right propeller (remember, only a single generator, and that on the left engine) for a "tail chase" which included loops, slow and barrel rolls, and just generally having a good time. The exercise was to instill confidence in the pilots ability to control the aircraft on one engine.

It was a dandy flying machine in instrument conditions associated with poor weather. I had to return once from Berlin on one engine. No problem."
Quote:
Richard E. Smith: I liked flying the P38 the most, out of all the airplanes I flew, mainly because it had two engines. There were many missions, when our guys would fly back to base on one engine. I remember one time, flying back from Rabaul, I saw two P-38;s . One was the C.O.’s and he had one engine out. I trotted back to stay with him, but he waved me on home. Later when he got back over base, he turned on the other engine, and landed on two. The guys would often do that. If the engine got damaged, shut it off, and save the fluids, then they could try and restart it when the got back. In New Guinea, especially, that was very important because you didn't want to bail out!
And that is just three accounts.. There are many more of these out there on the web and in books

Enjoy!
Old 09-25-2012, 03:28 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
That prove it was no big deal to fly on one engine..
Wow... Send your stories to Lockheed so they can re-write the Flight Operations Manual!!

Obviously, they got it all wrong and you are right.

Quote:
In the P-38 Flight Operating Instructions, located in Chapter
IV EMERGENCY PROCEDURES, you will find the instructions for single engine operation on page 39, section 5.
Old 09-25-2012, 03:37 PM
Approved Member

Its groundhog day again, and its always the same person.......

Old 09-25-2012, 03:57 PM
Il-2 enthusiast & Moderator

Groundhog day or not, flying on one engine is an emergency procedure. Doesn't necessarily imply immediate, mortal danger.