Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Technical threads > FM/DM threads

FM/DM threads Everything about FM/DM in CoD

Old 08-29-2012, 04:09 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by camber View Post
Hi Farber,

Sounds like I may be overstating the ease and safety of 1.45ata use in the 109. In my speed tests I tried restarting it a few times at SL and didn't see engine problems but didn't try many variations. I got 450kmh without and 470 kmh with it on, is that consistent with you?. The 1.45ata in combat makes it harder to work out how best to configure the 109 in CoD, if you gave the 109 500kmh at around 1.3ata and combat access to 1.45ata, you have a VERY fast bird indeed in CoD considering historical information.

For the 109 tests I left auto prop pitch on and had the throttle fully open, with the boost regulation giving 1.35ata or 1.45ata. FT is full throttle as you surmise.

I scaled the plots seperately because I wanted to talk about relative speeds in real life and game. Both plots have a 120kmh range on the y axis, the CoD one starts 50kmh lower because all speeds in CoD are roughly 50kmh low. These tests are really a bit basic..only sea level max speeds done singly offline.
Thank you for you intelligent and polite reply. Hopefully it can be an example for this thread so it doesnt get locked.

My squad mates and I have been discussing the difference between the E4 auto pitch and the E1 and E3 manual pitch which is quite different. I would also go as far to say when your using autopitch your almost using the AI FM in some respects. The exact difference is hard to describe and establish exactly... The auto pitch also runs at a lower RPM than I would manually, although it gets more acceleration, better fuel economy and is overall superior except when you rapidly climb and dive continiously and it cannot keep up with you. 5./JG27Gruber could explain more on this than I think, I will see if he wants to contribute.

I can achieve 460kmh sea level with out any wep during the acceleration... Occasionally if I have my aircraft trimmed perfectly and the planets align I can get a steady 480 kmh... At 5km altitude its more like 420kmh.

Klem started a thread about speed and the 109 was discussed also. I made some quick tracks [Strike]which I will attempt to attach here.[/Strike] (they are messed up, I will fraps it and upload to youtube...) Close to sea level tests and 5km level flight speed tests 1.3 Ata and 2350 U/pm if I recall. I think these runs were made in 1.07. As far as I am aware the only difference to the 109 FM is the rad drag... - Which is neglible to a degree.

-Ultimatley, I am only Human. I'm proberbly not the best at flying straight and level and maybe I am even doing it wrong? I will let others be the judge of it.

EDIT1: WOW was I wrong?! 100% Fuel gave some interesting results but I need to test 50% also for comparison. There have been changes to Bf109 FM in 1.08.

Last edited by 5./JG27.Farber; 08-29-2012 at 05:05 PM.
Old 08-29-2012, 05:58 PM
Approved Member

Interesting .... http://www.spitfireperformance.com/n3171-cooling.jpg

Old 08-29-2012, 08:57 PM
Approved Member

I agree there is some drag effect with the rads.

However, do you realize guys that there was no 100oct fuel during BoB ?

Wonder what you are looking after here?!!

Regarding the speed achieved by the tester, isn't it the same one that wasn't able to achieve 270 in a hurri ? I mean teh kind of guy taking off with a cold engine, flying hood open, at 400kph cruise speed and complaining about overheating in combat ?

I think it says it all...

I am sory but when I read "real life MkI 100oct" it really push me out of my brain.
Old 08-29-2012, 09:28 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATAG_Dutch View Post
Are you sure about this Camber?

Edit: Test conducted with Spit Ia100oct, prop as near to feathered as possible.

Nice test Dutch, I remembered how much like I liked CoD watching Spitfires plummeting toward the green leafy fields of England.

For the last couple of patches, I found that rad position had slight effects on level speeds but only a few mph at best. I was rounding to nearest 5mph, so often the rad effect rounded out. I didn't try canopy this patch but the previous one couldn't detect anything.

From your test it looks like that rad has much more of an effect on accelleration between speeds, which is an interesting finding.
Old 08-29-2012, 09:38 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomcatViP View Post
Troll

Intel Q9550 @3.3ghz(OC), Asus rampage extreme MOBO, Nvidia GTX470 1.2Gb Vram, 8Gb DDR3 Ram, Win 7 64bit ultimate edition

Last edited by bongodriver; 08-29-2012 at 09:46 PM.
Old 08-29-2012, 09:59 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41Sqn_Banks View Post
Excellent. It should be tested in the sim under the same conditions (though this test was done in the winter) to wheter the sim has similar cooling modelling.

A vague look though tells me that the temps are rising slowly but steadily even at 6 1/4 / 2600 rpm. Overall it just looks just suitable for climbing conditions at lower powers.
Il-2Bugtracker: Feature #200: Missing 100 octane subtypes of Bf 109E and Bf 110C http://www.il2bugtracker.com/issues/200
Il-2Bugtracker: Bug #415: Spitfire Mk I, Ia, and Mk II: Stability and Control http://www.il2bugtracker.com/issues/415

Kurfürst - Your resource site on Bf 109 performance! http://kurfurst.org
Old 08-29-2012, 10:08 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurfürst View Post
Excellent. It should be tested in the sim under the same conditions (though this test was done in the winter) to wheter the sim has similar cooling modelling.

A vague look though tells me that the temps are rising slowly but steadily even at 6 1/4 / 2600 rpm. Overall it just looks just suitable for climbing conditions at lower powers.

That's just it though, some seem to want a 30,000 high power climb with no cooling problems.

GigaByteBoard...64bit...FX 4300 3.8, G. Skill sniper 1866 32GB, EVGA GTX 660 ti 3gb, Raptor 64mb cache, Planar 120Hz 2ms, CH controls, Tir5
Old 08-29-2012, 10:20 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Regarding the speed achieved by the tester, isn't it the same one that wasn't able to achieve 270 in a hurri ? I mean teh kind of guy taking off with a cold engine, flying hood open, at 400kph cruise speed and complaining about overheating in combat ?

I think it says it all...

I am sory but when I read "real life MkI 100oct" it really push me out of my brain.
Hi Tomcat

Er, not sure if it is an English issue, but that reads like a hilarious insult so I will reply as such.

Maybe I (it) WAS the kind of tester that wasn't able to achieve 270 (mph?) in a Hurri while complaining. But what would you say if it got back to the airfield, abducted Spitgirl from the officer's mess, and took her to the nightspots of Picadilly in an open top Lagonda?

Looking back the only flight test of a Hurri I remember was 240-245mph on the deck in the first beta patch with FM revision (slowing Hurris down). I think it was a fair bit faster in the previous retail patch 1.05.

Will not comment on the fuel with high round number
in case the padlock gods are roused from fitful slumber.

Cheers M8

Last edited by camber; 08-29-2012 at 11:56 PM.
Old 08-29-2012, 11:11 PM
Approved Member

Quote:

Priceless
Old 08-30-2012, 03:05 AM
Approved Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by camber View Post
Will not comment on the fuel with high round number
in case the padlock gods are roused from fitful slumber.

Cheers M8
I see ATAG_Dutch has been doing some tests, with interesting results, http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthr...624#post457624