Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Technical threads > FM/DM threads

FM/DM threads Everything about FM/DM in CoD

Old 10-16-2012, 04:57 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACE-OF-ACES View Post
I am also working on a C# script file for that mission to log the data as you fly that provides you a heads up display (HUD) of your altitude, velocity, ROC, etc. Let me know if your interested in testing out that script
Klem has already done this for everyone to download.
The red rings are a good idea.

What we really need is someone to write an autopilot that intercepts the directx inputs to control the aircraft. Surely the 46 one could be adapted, I'm afraid I don't know enough about directx.

56RAF_phoenix
Old 10-16-2012, 05:18 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix1963 View Post
Klem has already done this for everyone to download.
Actually FST did it before klem

klem is using an older version of FST's, that klem made some changes too..

I have been working with FST to come up with a newer version with a standard file format that will match the format my website can accept

Quote:
The red rings are a good idea.
Thanks

It is something I came up with years ago back when I was doing IL-2 testing, only back than there were no RING to use, I had to create rings using LIGHTS

Quote:
What we really need is someone to write an autopilot that intercepts the directx inputs to control the aircraft. Surely the 46 one could be adapted, I'm afraid I don't know enough about directx.
Sad things is the autopilot used with IL-2 used DeviceLink to get and set values.. And as far as I can tell the C# script only gets values.. That is to say there is no way to set values.. I have been looking into some other ways to set values, but that project is on the back burner right now.. Just too busy right now

Last edited by ACE-OF-ACES; 10-16-2012 at 05:20 PM.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:50 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Sad things is the autopilot used with IL-2 used DeviceLink to get and set values.. And as far as I can tell the C# script only gets values.. That is to say there is no way to set values.. I have been looking into some other ways to set values, but that project is on the back burner right now.. Just too busy right now
I don't think there's any need to use DeviceLink to set values, one could generate a proxy DLL that intercepts DirectInput calls (assuming they've not switched to Xinput) and replaces the joystick values with your own to fly the aircraft. Though this is a "dangerous" thing to do because keyloggers do the same.

The existing C# script could be used to extract the values needed to fly the 'plane. Even if we can't get attitude values, you could calculate trajectories from the position data.

56RAF_phoenix
Old 10-16-2012, 09:04 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
I don't think there's any need to use DeviceLink to set values, one could generate a proxy DLL that intercepts DirectInput calls (assuming they've not switched to Xinput) and replaces the joystick values with your own to fly the aircraft. Though this is a "dangerous" thing to do because keyloggers do the same.
Need?

No, no need

Sorry if I gave you that impression.

I only brought up the way DeviceLink works with IL-2 is because you brought up the autopilot program for IL-2 46, which 'does' make use of DeviceLink to interface with the game..

As for a proxy DLL, no 'need' (pun intended) in that there are several virtual joystick programs/device drivers/etc out there that the autopilot program could use to send (set) commands to fly the plane

Quote:
The existing C# script could be used to extract the values needed to fly the 'plane.
Which is what I am doing now in the C# script..

In that many of the same variables I am logging during flight are needed as feedback to an autopilot program

Quote:
Even if we can't get attitude values, you could calculate trajectories from the position data.
You can get attitude values.. and more!

Neat thing about the C# over the old DeviceLink is we have many Many MANY more varialbes to 'get' than we had with DeviceLink in IL-2

Only down side is we have none to 'set' which is needed to have an exteranl autopilot fly the plane

In summary

You could write an autopilot program for CoD using (in) the C# script with calls to the virtual joystick..

That would provide all the capabilites that DeviceLink provided and more!

Last edited by ACE-OF-ACES; 10-16-2012 at 09:12 PM.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:35 PM
Approved Member

Wink

We are in complete agreement.

However, you should be aware I did most of my programming in FORTRAN IV. But I have used almost every language under the sun from Algol68 to SNOBOL4. Just not on PCs (well, my first "PC" was an Altair 8800B using an Intel 8080, later I had a Personal Cray!)

56RAF_phoenix
Old 10-16-2012, 09:47 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Actually FST did it before klem

klem is using an older version of FST's, that klem made some changes too.. .......
Ah, thanks, I couldn't remember who's 'Black Box' script that was that I found many months ago. Credit to FST then. I played around with it, added some more parameters, worked in 'Standard Day', set it so the data could be stopped and started with the gunsight switch, etc. The Excel analysis was a logical extension of gathering the data in .csv format.

If they ever fix the (online?)Merlin problems I'll go back to testing but its a bit of a drag especially when its pointless.

Incidentally the two sets of low level TAS figures I did manage to get were:
3000 RPM +6.25lbs boost:
1000 feet, 270mph vs A&AEE's 286mph
2000 feet, 273mph vs A&AEE's 291mph

3000RPM +12lbs boost
1000 feet, 302mph vs A&AEE's 318
2000 feet, 309mph vs A&AEE's 322mph

All at Density Altitudes or 'Standard Day'. Incidentally, Z_Altitude_MSL was 194 feet and 1227 feet at those Density Altitudes.

ASUS Sabertooth X58 /i7 950 @ 4GHz / 6Gb DDR3 1600 CAS8 / EVGA GTX570 GPU 1.28Gb superclocked / Crucial 128Gb SSD SATA III 6Gb/s, 355Mb-215Mb Read-Write / 850W PSU
Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium / Samsung 22" 226BW @ 1680 x 1050 / TrackIR4 with TrackIR5 software / Saitek X52 Pro & Rudders