Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Technical threads > Vehicle and Terrain threads

Vehicle and Terrain threads Discussions about environment and vehicles in CoD

Old 06-29-2011, 01:52 AM
Approved Member

Default german 88 artillery misses

Hey!
Was trying out the "Full mission builder" i found out that the german 88 artillery cannon misses alot! I dont know if it is like this in the real world.. But the 88 cannon did not hit a singel plane that i put in the sky.. I placed about 50-100 German 88 cannons and 20 bomb plane, and all the plane got was just light damage.
Sorry for my bad English

-Patrick
Old 06-29-2011, 02:12 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Hey!
I placed about 50-100 German 88 cannons and 20 bomb plane, and all the plane got was just light damage.
The gunners maybe were family of Mr Magoo
Old 06-29-2011, 07:36 AM
machoo

They are all pretty useless , I have done a test and added like 100 AA guns on an airfield and had a flight fly over them and only a few got hit by some rounds.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old 06-29-2011, 07:46 AM
Approved Member

LOL - this is not Flak but some Tommy who engaged his hyperspace drive on the ground..!
Il-2Bugtracker: Feature #200: Missing 100 octane subtypes of Bf 109E and Bf 110C http://www.il2bugtracker.com/issues/200
Il-2Bugtracker: Bug #415: Spitfire Mk I, Ia, and Mk II: Stability and Control http://www.il2bugtracker.com/issues/415

Kurfürst - Your resource site on Bf 109 performance! http://kurfurst.org
Old 06-29-2011, 07:54 AM
Approved Member

Have you modified the skill of each gun?
Old 06-29-2011, 08:28 AM
Approved Member

I think it might be inaccurate, but not by much.

I've seen various threads in this forum bring up the topic of flak accuracy from time to time and the statistics quoted from historical sources were appalling.

Unless using radar directed guns with predictive flak laying or some sort of proximity fused shells (like the ones used by the UK against the V-1 bombs), on average it took a few hundred or even thousand flak shells to shoot down a single aircraft.

If you take into account that overflying a single flak covered target with one flight is something that takes very little time and the rate of fire on the bigger guns is slow, it might be the case that they can't put up enough shells in the air at the given time window to match that statistic.

I don't have any numbers mind you, just making an educated guess, but i feel it would be pretty hard to make flak dangerous in small concentrations without making it too uber in historically sized quantities.

I think that since the engine supports a lot of ground objects with minimal performance loss, the best way to get historical results would be to place a large enough amount of flak guns over a wider area.
Old 06-29-2011, 08:31 AM
Approved Member

But still there is potential to improve. We do have "sound detectors" for the AAA and we do have static range finders and predictors. Given the scripting stuff already there it would be possible to convert the range finders and predictors to AI-operated objects and combine them for AAA batteries to increase their accuracy.
Old 06-29-2011, 09:12 AM
Registered Member

British flack are better ? or its a trouble for all flack.
Old 06-29-2011, 11:44 AM
Approved Member

I don't know if you guys remember the 1st Gulf War. Baghdad had the heaviest concentration of AAA that had ever been placed in a city. They didn't hit anything.

That being said, it seems that flak was pretty ineffective till after '42, when both sided started tying them to radar. The Brits were suffering 1 in 10 losses to their nightbombers, but that also includes the nightfighters taking a bite out of them. American bomber pilots said that German flak was almost a carpet that they could get out and walk on.

From Wikipedia on Anti-aircraft -"Post-war analysis demonstrated that even with newest anti-aircraft systems employed by both sides, the vast majority of bombers reached their targets successfully, on the order of 90%."

From Wikipedia on 88mm Flak Gun-"Owing to the increase in U.S. and British bombing raids during 1943 and 1944, the majority of these guns were used in their original anti-aircraft role, now complemented by the formidable 12.8 cm FlaK 40 and 10.5 cm FlaK 39. There were complaints that, due to the apparent ineffectiveness of anti-aircraft defenses as a whole, the guns should be transferred from air defense units to anti-tank duties, but this politically unpopular move was never made."

Keep in mind that only 18,295 of the 88mm Flak gun were made. Consider that some were used as anti-tank guns and the rest were used to defend the entire Reich, from Norway to Africa, From France to Russia. Granted that the 88 was not the only flak gun. Still, as the most "famous", the numbers are much less than I expected.

Anyhow, I am not sure how this translates into a computer simulation, but it would seem that high-altitude flak is pretty innaccurate, and until you get to low-medium levels, where numerous smaller caliber guns were able to get in on the action, kills were few and far between.
Old 06-29-2011, 12:46 PM
Approved Member

It's not easy to hit a plane having even a machine gun rate of fire. Skip to 1:54.