Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Pilot's Lounge

Pilot's Lounge Members meetup

Old 12-14-2012, 02:20 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeFF View Post
The game has been a financial loss for the publishers. What else did you expect them to do?
What exactly are you doing here Luke?

You don't fly CLIFFS OF DOVER, you didn't lose any money by purchasing it.

So why do you find it necessary to contribute your entirely negative opinion?

CoD may have not achieved the success which everyone (except it seems, you) had hoped for, but it actually is quite a bit of fun for those who actually fly it.

This is a forum for CLIFFS OF DOVER.

So why don't you head down to the new BoS forums, where you can contribute your opinion in an arena where it might actually have some use?

I'll be happy to hear your opinions of BoS there, I'll be watching the developments there hopefully too. Looks like we might have a nice new sim coming out.

But here?

You're just another ugly stray dog, p*ssing where you are not wanted.

Last edited by *Buzzsaw*; 12-14-2012 at 02:22 AM.
Old 12-14-2012, 02:28 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Buzzsaw* View Post
No, Oleg was not.

His ideas for CoD were taken directly from the wishes and requests of IL-2 flight sim fans.

Unfortunately his publishers did not have the patience or vision he did.
7 years in developpement...Probably 5 to 7 million $$$... A very narrow niche type of game with so little market...At release the game doesn't even work at 100% with more than half the features removed and you dare to say that whoever was putting the money was not patient enough ?
It was obviously a good decision, since after almost 18 more months of "developpement", the game is not even running well....NO one could fix it without shedding another fortune...
So who is the real responsable for this fiasco ?
We may never know....
Old 12-14-2012, 03:29 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexicon View Post
7 years in developpement...Probably 5 to 7 million $$$... A very narrow niche type of game with so little market...At release the game doesn't even work at 100% with more than half the features removed and you dare to say that whoever was putting the money was not patient enough ?
It was obviously a good decision, since after almost 18 more months of "developpement", the game is not even running well....NO one could fix it without shedding another fortune...
So who is the real responsable for this fiasco ?
We may never know....
IL2 proved a flight sim could be a success, financial success ? I assume so that's why Oleg got the go ahead for CLOD. Yes, Oleg was ahead of his time, he was CUTTING EDGE as they say. problem is technology at the cutting edge is flakey. even so CLOD is great game for me on my powerful desktop .. pity more simmers aren't also traders .. pity more people aren't traders .. good having more than 1 source of income. I bet in 2-3 years time, CLOD will be the sim-of-choice .. that's why some want to kill it off now ..

.....--oOo-- --oOo-- HE-111 --oOo-- --oOo--.....
========================================
-oOo- Intel i7-2600K (non-clocked) -oOo- GA-P67A
-oOo- DF 85 full tower -oOo- 1000W corsair
-oOo- 8 GB 1600Hz -oOo- 2 x GTX 580 1.5M (295.73)
-oOo- 240 SSD -oOo- W7 64bit
-oOo- PB2700 LED 2560 x 1440 6ms 60Hz -oOo-
========================================
Old 12-14-2012, 04:19 AM
Approved Member

I'ld say he was quite a bit ahead in his vision. You keep on hearing about Moores law and the computing power doubling every 18 months or so, but that doesn't apply to software development.

Most of the software development practices for thing like Il2 is just not keeping up with the hardware. Just need to look at our CPU usage for that.

Funny thing is I was just over at the ROF forum and there are quite a few people (I'm not talking about the people who are at the new IL2 site) expressing their doubt that the ROF engine will be able to handle City/Urban locations like Stalingrad or anything like a reasonably populated map. (There are a lot of them that seem to have fairly realistic understanding of the limits of the engine!)

Hmmm! It's an interesting trip we're on here!

Cheers!
Old 12-14-2012, 06:05 AM
Approved Member

Some people don't realise yet what we just lost, with both Oleg AND Ilya. They had true vision, and were not just after a quick buck.
Others are here to gloat, or to push their own agenda. Funny how a lot of the main detractors are now fawning at the new forum, and, it turns out never actually owned CoD in the first place.Who would have seen that coming.
I won't say what I really think, because I would have to ban myself.

Last edited by JG52Uther; 12-14-2012 at 06:10 AM.
Old 12-14-2012, 07:03 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeFF View Post
I was here long before the sim was cancelled and had high hopes for its success. And no, I'm not enjoying gloating - just trying to point out that all was not rosy with Oleg and Luthier as some people here like to think.
That is interesting, I thought that they had a long history and were friends to each other.

GigaByteBoard...64bit...FX 4300 3.8, G. Skill sniper 1866 32GB, EVGA GTX 660 ti 3gb, Raptor 64mb cache, Planar 120Hz 2ms, CH controls, Tir5
Old 12-14-2012, 07:14 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skoshi Tiger View Post
I'ld say he was quite a bit ahead in his vision. You keep on hearing about Moores law and the computing power doubling every 18 months or so, but that doesn't apply to software development.

Most of the software development practices for thing like Il2 is just not keeping up with the hardware. Just need to look at our CPU usage for that.

Funny thing is I was just over at the ROF forum and there are quite a few people (I'm not talking about the people who are at the new IL2 site) expressing their doubt that the ROF engine will be able to handle City/Urban locations like Stalingrad or anything like a reasonably populated map. (There are a lot of them that seem to have fairly realistic understanding of the limits of the engine!)

Hmmm! It's an interesting trip we're on here!

Cheers!
This.
Old 12-14-2012, 07:19 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG52Uther View Post
Some people don't realise yet what we just lost, with both Oleg AND Ilya. They had true vision, and were not just after a quick buck.
Others are here to gloat, or to push their own agenda. Funny how a lot of the main detractors are now fawning at the new forum, and, it turns out never actually owned CoD in the first place.Who would have seen that coming.
I won't say what I really think, because I would have to ban myself.
+100

Great post.
Old 12-14-2012, 07:37 AM
Approved Member

Oleg was certainly ahead of his time with the original Il-2 series. He fell flat after that though, trying to make the last ever flight sim, rather than the next one.
Old 12-14-2012, 07:45 AM
Approved Member

Btw: Good post Uther. It certainly is a significant moment for the flight sim genre. I hate to say it, but I'd already seen it coming and resigned myself to it much longer ago than I care to recall. I've mourned all those lost tomorrows already.