Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 04-11-2019, 03:53 PM
Approved Member

Default FaceTracker suggestions

Facetracker, any one got it running good enough to play with out glitches.

I finally have enough cpu to run it, it does not cut out or lose my face, but...

I can't seem to get it to turn a bit to look front left and right with out getting sea sick, and it seems to take for ever to re_centered when I turn my head right back to look behind.

And even that, I actually have to turn my head almost sideways to my screen. It moves right in the GUI for FaceTracker, but in the game, it seems to either be too much, or not enough.
And when I look back, the virtual head also drops to look down.

If someone has the .ini that is working for them, I would like to copy that and try on my machine.

Question:

do the plots in the axis tuner mean that the movement will stop/pause/stutter once it gets to that point (i.e. 20 deg or 40 deg). I have been fiddling with it for a few days now, and have really made no progress in either the plotting of points, or if what I'm suggesting, (the points are pause markers), is what happens.

It's promising though. But even one point free track does not seem to be steady enough to play online with. I have tried and had it shutdown, or lock up.
I can't look left is the major issue with Free Track, no matter how bright the light, when I turn my head to the left, the camera loses the point or the device just won't turn that way. Can't tell because I am in game when it happens, I've seen the light fade and the device lose the point while tinkering with the GUI there to see what is happening. But there is no reason for it. It should happen when turning to the right as well.

Cheers!
Old 04-22-2019, 11:48 AM
Approved Member

after messing around, and watching a few tutorials, (mostly for car games), here is what I have. I find that while it's moving you can't focus on anything, so I am trying to get a left right swivel for -45deg to +45 deg, then it slips over to the next angle and a pause at 90+/- deg, and a look back too 120 or so deg.

The swivel is going fine, just need to fine tune that dead zone.

It seems like the unit stops between points, so this little gap between 70 and 120 would seem to make it stop at the 90deg mark

point-2-x=15
point-2-y=70
point-3-x=20.25
point-3-y=120

[Curves-Yaw]
point-count=5
point-0-x=0.75
point-0-y=1
point-1-x=8.75
point-1-y=26
point-2-x=15
point-2-y=70
point-3-x=20.25
point-3-y=120
point-4-x=35
point-4-y=178
point-5-x=30.5
point-5-y=165
point-6-x=24
point-6-y=164
point-7-x=30.75
point-7-y=180

[Curves-PitchUp]
point-count=4
point-0-x=2
point-0-y=0
point-1-x=8.5
point-1-y=29
point-2-x=15.75
point-2-y=65
point-3-x=25.75
point-3-y=89
point-4-x=29.25
point-4-y=94
point-5-x=29.75
point-5-y=105
point-6-x=45
point-6-y=120

[Curves-PitchDown]
point-count=4
point-0-x=1.75
point-0-y=0
point-1-x=10.5
point-1-y=11.5
point-2-x=26
point-2-y=44
point-3-x=49.25
point-3-y=68

[Curves-Roll]
point-count=4
point-0-x=2.25
point-0-y=0
point-1-x=15.25
point-1-y=9
point-2-x=24.75
point-2-y=22
point-3-x=49
point-3-y=60

[Curves-X]
point-count=4
point-0-x=1.75
point-0-y=0
point-1-x=9
point-1-y=80
point-2-x=18
point-2-y=137
point-3-x=29.75
point-3-y=180

[Curves-Y]
point-count=4
point-0-x=1.25
point-0-y=0
point-1-x=2
point-1-y=20
point-2-x=9.5
point-2-y=89
point-3-x=28
point-3-y=132
point-4-x=33.25
point-4-y=157

[Curves-Z]
point-count=4
point-0-x=1.75
point-0-y=0
point-1-x=5.5
point-1-y=51
point-2-x=12
point-2-y=99
point-3-x=24.25
point-3-y=121

The good thing about the Car examples is they use the "head Left-Right" and "Roll" functions, so I just copied theirs and fine tuned it for Il-2. And they don't look down too much so that helped with looking back and the tracker drifting down.

This is a good set up for Ground Attack flying, just finding things on the ground is very hard. I did a dog fight with it and was able to keep everything stable, as along as I did not move my head right around to see a plane fly by.

Only takes 8% of my CPU, and it does not lose the tracking of my face. Maybe a better camera is what I need to invest in now. This one only gives 8fps.
I never bought it for movies, and that is the first time I have looked at the FPS of it, I was shocked.

Cheers!

Last edited by Music; 04-22-2019 at 11:54 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-14-2020, 03:05 PM
Approved Member

I always thought it was hilarious that people thought it was more realistic to turn your head AWAY from the monitor so you could see what was on the monitor better ???

I tired track-IR and threw it in the trash after a fashion because of this.

I have heard of people getting those VR headsets working with this flight sim, but I have not tried it yet.

The hat-switch is the best way to go hands-down. I have dozens of videos on YouTube all shot using the hat-switch and all showing great success in online flying and dogfights etc.. And the best thing about it is that it does not cost a dime.

Jumo
Old 04-14-2020, 03:23 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumoschwanz View Post
I have heard of people getting those VR headsets working with this flight sim, but I have not tried it yet.
If you have a chance *definitely* try Il-2 Battle of Stalingrad with a VR headset at some point, it's worth experiencing at least once even if you don't intend to buy one yourself.
Old 06-11-2020, 07:43 PM
Approved Member

Well I finally got a 60fps webcam, and works, it's only been less than a week, so still a lot of time for tweaks, but I have it stable, and have flown most of my missions not using the f6, dog fighting is a blast. I have run into the back of a few guys when things stared moving around at the moment when I needed them to be steady.

It's tiring holding your head steady and making only slight movements to look left and right, but again, it's been less than a week.

Things seem to happen slower when the Fov is always the same. And I am flying faster. I know where the fur ball is more than like likely going to be on the AleXserver, I just can't go in with it under the nose any more. I always went wide, but now I definitely need to. Get a over view, look for a friendly in trouble, (no one ever complains about how many people are shooting at a guy shooting one of us), and swoop in. It really feels like you are floating.

So a good webcam will make a difference with the freetrack noIR.
My old free version has all the centering keys only on the key boards, he has a updated version that you make a donation to get, I don't know if you can assign buttons on your joysticks with it, but that is the only thing this is missing.

Cheers! If I get a "perfect" setup, I'll post it.
Old 07-14-2020, 01:51 PM
Approved Member

After years of using a hat stick for views I still thumbed the hat after I got Track-IR, now after 2 years of using Track-IR I turn my head even if not using Track-IR!

Its funny how your brain learns then can relearn things.

Personally I find Track-IR (headtracking) far superiour to hat switch viewing, for example coming in to land you can tilt and slide your head a bit to look out the edge of the cockpit around cowling etc in 6 D.O.F. very immersive! It does take some personalisation of the Track-IR settings, especially of the central dead-zone to suit yourself.

I have my rear view settings so when my heads turned for 6 o'clock rear one eye has completely lost view of screen (as in real backwards viewing unless you are an owl).
Old 07-14-2021, 02:09 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music View Post
Well I finally got a 60fps webcam, and works, it's only been less than a week, so still a lot of time for tweaks, but I have it stable, and have flown most of my missions not using the f6, dog fighting is a blast. I have run into the back of a few guys when things stared moving around at the moment when I needed them to be steady.
Gb Whatsapp apk

It's tiring holding your head steady and making only slight movements to look left and right, but again, it's been less than a week.

Things seem to happen slower when the Fov is always the same. And I am flying faster. I know where the fur ball is more than like likely going to be on the AleXserver, I just can't go in with it under the nose any more. I always went wide, but now I definitely need to. Get a over view, look for a friendly in trouble, (no one ever complains about how many people are shooting at a guy shooting one of us), and swoop in. It really feels like you are floating.

So a good webcam will make a difference with the freetrack noIR. Gb Whatsapp
My old free version has all the centering keys only on the key boards, he has a updated version that you make a donation to get, I don't know if you can assign buttons on your joysticks with it, but that is the only thing this is missing.

Excellent Blog! I would like to thank for the efforts you have made in writing this post. I am hoping the same best work from you in the future as well.
I wanted to thank you for this websites! Thanks for sharing. Great websites!
Old 09-13-2021, 12:03 PM
Approved Member

I find this article really interesting, thanks for sharing.

Last edited by avensis; 09-18-2021 at 10:02 PM.
Old 03-08-2022, 10:39 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music View Post

It's tiring holding your head steady and making only slight movements to look left and right, but again, it's been less than a week playing clash of clans mod apk

So a good webcam will make a difference with the freetrack noIR.

So, did you get the perfect setup that can help us too?
Old 06-27-2023, 06:50 AM
Registered Member

I want to use it too. And what are the requirements? Please help.