Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > Star Wolves

Star Wolves 3D space RPG with deep strategy and tactical elements

Old 08-29-2011, 04:31 AM
Registered Member

Default Help

So this is a really noob question. I just bought the Star Wolves collection on Steam, and I've tried playing all three games. In all three games I find myself just getting devastated by pirates within the first 2-3 missions. Even if I beat one wave of them, they will just keep coming and keep focusing on my primary mothership until it explodes.

I must be missing something, I've never played a game that is so hard right at the beginning! Can someone give me some pointers? I can accept that I suck at this game, so I don't need to hear that, but can some friendly people tell me how to get started? Is this one of those games where you immediately defit your ship, sell everything, and use the money to buy something more powerful? Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance!
Old 08-29-2011, 11:25 PM
Approved Member

I have no experience with SW1 but I've played 2 and 3 quite a few times so perhaps I can give you a few tips.
As you probable noticed contact with pirates vary from sector to sector so avoiding really crowded sectors is an option.
You sort of have to slow-play the game, if you rush from mission to mission your team isn't able to gain enough exprience (and money to buy equipment). And don't worry if the game tells you to hurry (some missions tell you you're expected somewhere asap) there is no need to rush, most missions a triggered if you enter the sector.
As you pointed out, selling equipment and buying stuf you really need is always a smart move.
The use of "better" weapons is a bit more complicated, your pilotes have skills (perk tree) so giving a pilot with bad shooting skills a low RoF accurate weapon is not effective, he is better of with a machinegun.
And if everything fales and you have to flee, you can avoid contacts by flying high or low that way you won't be seen.
Last but not least, save regularly.

I hope this is of some help to you.

If you like the game, there are some cool mods made by other users on this forum.
Old 09-01-2011, 08:37 AM
Trucidation

SW1 has a strictly linear mission tree, you can't really "grind" for more exp/money there unfortunately. I like it for the quirky characters and it's not bad, but yeah it ain't an easy introduction.

I skipped SW2; I heard it's hella buggy even though some of the features (random missions roster?) sounded absolutely brilliant if they had managed to pull them off right. Also heard it was very short, shorter than the first game - I suppose you would spend time doing random missions for exp/money.

This game, SW3, has several fairly decently-scripted starting missions: I'm a bit surprised you're having trouble early in the game. You need to follow the directions the script takes you, as if you wander off the path into another portal you'll get auto-ambushed on the other side because the script doesn't want new players missing the story. It's not exactly clear when you can take off on your own but it's somewhere in the vicinity after recruiting your first team member.

Great tips overall by HDS66NL, it's pretty much what we've found out after being chewed up a few times Take some time off from missions to hunt pirates for exp/money, not that you need to do so but it'll help you (and your confidence) a lot to win some extra stuff. Leveling up your team and getting them better ships does wonders.

Good luck and have fun!

Last edited by Trucidation; 09-01-2011 at 08:40 AM.
Old 09-08-2011, 03:01 PM
Approved Member

Are you sure that you equip your fighters good? At beginning i bought the cheapest weapons and sistems.. and pause the game when you encounter enemies.... you must to group your pilots in wings, all time Astra\El\Phantom repairs and\or misiles protection, ace/heretic/corsair atack .... is the best for you to put on ace's fighter lasers , corsair rockets ,heretic plasma or kinetic phantom\el\astra small guns... and your mothership a long range scanner...