Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Technical threads

Technical threads All discussions about technical issues

Old 11-07-2011, 05:52 PM
Approved Member

Default Track IR5 vs Freetrack.

I've been running with Freetrack for a few months now, but I'm finding that I have to change the profile all the time to compensate for varying lighting conditions, how low my battery pack is running etc. Plus I have to delete a dll everytime I want to play Dirt 2 or F1 2010 or they won't even launch.
My question is aimed at anyone who has used both systems, how much better is TrackIR 5 than Freetrack?
Old 11-07-2011, 06:02 PM
Approved Member

TrackIR is expensive but it simply works. Well, that's the reason why it is expensive plus theres no competitors.

How I wish that Saitek e.g. was building a head tracker

But until that day take TrackIR. Forget Freetrack. I've tested them both.
Old 11-07-2011, 06:08 PM
Approved Member

Freetrack is better. I never have to touch my profile. My hat plugs into usb port, so no worries about battery. You could also make a hat to plug into a wall socket if you wanted to do that. If your room lighting varies, I suspect you will have problems with either system. Instead of fixing the profile all the time, fix your room. Put some window blinds up or something.
Old 11-07-2011, 06:14 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadBlaster View Post
If your room lighting varies, I suspect you will have problems with either system.
I have no issues with TIR ever and I fly in all lighting conditions, daylight, artificial and darkness, not once have I ever had to adjust my profile to suit as TIR continues to work flawlessly in each case.

How can you state that freetrack is better when you have never used TIR?

Last edited by Dano; 11-07-2011 at 06:19 PM.
Old 11-07-2011, 06:19 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano View Post
I have no issues with TIR ever and I fly in all lighting conditions, daylight, artificial and darkness, not once have I ever had to adjust my profile to suit as TIR continues to work flawlessly in each case.
Try lighting yourself on fire. I bet it doesn't work so well then.
Old 11-07-2011, 06:20 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadBlaster View Post
Try lighting yourself on fire. I bet it doesn't work so well then.
Old 11-07-2011, 06:21 PM
Approved Member

Freetrack works pretty well - if it works. Should you go for it, i highly recommend buying a camera that is suggested on the freetrack-website.

I have problems with the drivers of the camera(which wasn´t suggested): They always switch to default settings when i switch to the game.
Old 11-07-2011, 06:44 PM
Approved Member

I have enough faffing about just running CoD, without having to mess around with freetrack all the time. I tried it a couple of years ago, never worked properly for me, and used a hell of a lot of resources.
TiR is ridiculously expensive, but it works.
Old 11-07-2011, 07:09 PM
Approved Member

Using Freetrack on Win7 with 3 Osram SFH487P infrared LEDs (powered by a 4.5V power supply unit) and a Wii Remote (powered by a 3V power supply unit and connected via a Hama Nano Bluetooth USB)

Works flawlessly, smooth and reliable on 97-100 FPS. Because of the Wii Remote it uses less CPU than a webcam-solution.

Was a bit of tinkering, though.

Artist
Old 11-07-2011, 07:29 PM
Approved Member

I have used both FTv2.2 and TIR4 ultra. I prefer FT, with a good webcam (PS3 eye at 100fps), IR filter and the correct wide angle IR leds (SH485) found it just as good as TIR. My FT clip is powered off the USB just as a TIR clip would be. Needless to say I sold my TIR on Ebay.

I have one profile and haven't changed it since CloD was released so not sure why you have to change it at all.

The latest update seems to have caused some problems and FTsometimes locks up when I go into the menu, why it suddenly started doing this I don't know, having said that, no one else is reporting similar issues so it may be the PS3 eye that is conflicting in my OS. Its fine with a standard 30fps webcam.

The biggest advantage for me is that FT allows keystrokes to be assigned to any of the 6 axis and these can be assigned to a POV. In dogfights, or for accurracy, I will often disable two of the unwanted axis.

I personally couldn't see a big enough advantage using TIR over FT. I can change/replace the camera and LED's far more cheaply so the decision for me wasn't that difficult to make.

AMD A8 5600K Quad Core 3.6 Ghz - Win 7 64 - 8Gb Ram - GTX660ti 2Gb VRAM - FreeTrack - X52 - Asus 23' Monitor.