Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey

IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey Famous title comes to consoles.

Old 10-15-2009, 11:05 AM
Registered Member

Can you unlock the komet?
Old 10-15-2009, 11:11 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sulzer225 View Post
Can you unlock the komet?
Check the requirements here.
Old 10-15-2009, 11:24 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancient Seraph View Post
Check the requirements here.
Thanks
Old 10-15-2009, 10:07 PM
Approved Member

I thought I'd chip in with the jet reviews as they are my fave planes.

ME262-A

Armament - 4 x nose mounted cannon.

This plane is fast and heavy, it can take a few moments for the power to kick in but when it does be prepared to hang on as the piston planes fly right passed in the blink of an eye if your not careful.

I find it best to use the planes power to escape and retreat to a safe distance, get some height and look for stragglers or lone planes. Then swoop from above using the planes 4 cannons to hammer the target with everything you have.

I find that you can only get away with one pass on the more nibble fighters, but you can engage in some turning manvourers with the heavier fighters if you are good with the throttle. If not just put on the power and climb high and fast jinking to avoid fire as you flee.

ME163-B

Armament - 2 x nose mounted cannon.

Unlike the ME262 this plane has power on tap, and can out accelerate and climb every other aircraft in the game. New players will find themselves spending more time just trying not to over shoot battles than engaging in combat. But after practice this plane is awesome. It has the advantage of being fast and pretty nimble and stable in turns IF you are good on the throttles. (i.e. you recognise there are more than two settings full and off).

Its down points are its lack of fire power, only 2 nose mounted cannons, so you have to be a pretty good shot to rack up a decent score. Also its pretty weak, this plane is not designed to take damage, at all, use it power to escape!

As for combat, pretty much the same as the ME262 review with the added turning advantage, but as always dont stick around too long, if you've done a 360 turn twice, get the hell out of there.

HE162-A

Armament - 1 x nose mounted water pistol.

Dont bother, seriously. Its slow, weak, poorly armed and turns like brick.

Last edited by akuma; 10-16-2009 at 12:41 PM.
Old 10-15-2009, 11:04 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by akuma View Post
HE162-A

Dont bother, seriously. Its slow, weak, poorly armed and turns like brick.
Hehe, nice end of the reviews
Old 10-16-2009, 09:09 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by akuma View Post
I thought I'd chip in with the jet reviews as they are my fave planes.

ME262-A
(...)

ME163-B
(...)

HE162-A
(...)
Could you tell me what the armament and firepower of the 262 is, if possible compare it to another airplane? And the armament of the other planes?
Old 10-16-2009, 12:44 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancient Seraph View Post
Could you tell me what the armament and firepower of the 262 is, if possible compare it to another airplane? And the armament of the other planes?

Descriptions updated in the orginal post.

I had a think of what planes they compare to, but the answer I came to is none.

Given the speed, climb rate and egress speed the flying, handling and combat styles are completely alien to the other planes they are in a class of there own.
Old 10-20-2009, 01:45 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Hurricane MkII -- 12 x 12.7mm MG's (M)
The Hurricane is loved by many, but most of this love is directed to the RL airplane. In-game it's not a bad plane to fly. It's pretty stable and has 12 (!) machine guns. Don't be fooled by the big number though, the Hurricane's armament is definitely not the best in-game. The speed is also less than impressive. It can't keep up with a Spit, and it doesn't overtake the I-16 very fast either. Although it turns pretty well and can outturn a late-war Spit or La on occasion, it has a hard time competing with these planes due to it's lack in speed and acceleration.
The main reason the Hurricane is this moderate, is because it's outdated. Here lies also it's greatest strength: in games with the year limit set to 1940 it's one of the best planes to fly. It can easily compete with the Spitfire MkII, and will pretty much always win against a Bf-109-E3 in a T&B fight.
In short: A decent plane, good to fly for starters, but don't expect to compete with late-war planes. Definitely a good choice in a low year-limited game

In game from playing with it online a little. Its rate of climb is acceptable and not to bad at all, in a turn its superb and its 12 machine guns though not cannons do a very good job and also help rookie pilots due to all the tracers pretty much giving you a straight line to the target. Its best to fire in burst also thuse not wasting all your ammo.

Found from playing online also -

The hurricane CAN do well against later war models, IF your team is also using the hurricane. Due to having the same ability as yourself, the idea of having wingmen work well. If someone gets on your 6, then they will have a trouble turning with you if the hurricane is flown properly, yet your wingman who has the same ability you do will not have any issues getting onto the 6 of the pilot chasing you. They might have a more modern aircraft but this way they are playing on your terms.

Try not to take the hurricane into a high altitude fight either, though it can fly up their it struggles more than it does at a medium height. This is where it excels (does its job best).

If flown online and get a few wins/kills (only 1 or 2) you can unlock 2 bombs or 8 rockets to use on it. Its also worth noting that its guns fire at a very good rate and its a much better gun platform than many of the other planes in the game.

When playing CTA the hurricane is also an easy plane to land without "bounce" and can slow down quickly. Much easier to land than planes like then 109 series or spitfire series. Not a bad choice of plane to use on CTA if you take bombs. reason being that many players like to use the JU87. The hurricane can get to the airfield before the JU87, can land quickly and take off quickly once captured, it can also patrol with bombs to attack anythnig thats landed and can also deal with the JU87.

Also noted is the ability to take a fair bit of damage on the wings and still be able to fly. For some reason the main problem with the hurricane in BoP is the fuselage, but all in all a very nice aircraft to fly.
Old 10-20-2009, 02:28 PM
Approved Member

Let me say in advance that I find your arguments valid. I'll adjust the description slightly, but for now I'm maintaining the general idea.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOZ_1983 View Post
In game from playing with it online a little. Its rate of climb is acceptable and not to bad at all, in a turn its superb and its 12 machine guns though not cannons do a very good job and also help rookie pilots due to all the tracers pretty much giving you a straight line to the target. Its best to fire in burst also thuse not wasting all your ammo.
I wouldn't say it's turning is superb. It's good, better than most, but it's still not possible to easily outturn a Spit or La.
I'll add the amount of tracers, good point.
Quote:
The hurricane CAN do well against later war models, IF your team is also using the hurricane. Due to having the same ability as yourself, the idea of having wingmen work well. If someone gets on your 6, then they will have a trouble turning with you if the hurricane is flown properly, yet your wingman who has the same ability you do will not have any issues getting onto the 6 of the pilot chasing you. They might have a more modern aircraft but this way they are playing on your terms.
This can be said for practically every plane. If you fly 2 BnZ'ers, the others don't have a choice but to try to chase, or something. Just like a team of I-16's would do better then just 1. Not specific to one aircraft.
Quote:
Try not to take the hurricane into a high altitude fight either, though it can fly up their it struggles more than it does at a medium height. This is where it excels (does its job best).
Since practically all BoP fights are at low altitude, I only specify when airplanes are better at high altitude. When it says nothing, they're good for low, since most of them are.
Quote:
If flown online and get a few wins/kills (only 1 or 2) you can unlock 2 bombs or 8 rockets to use on it. Its also worth noting that its guns fire at a very good rate and its a much better gun platform than many of the other planes in the game.
When playing CTA the hurricane is also an easy plane to land without "bounce" and can slow down quickly. Much easier to land than planes like then 109 series or spitfire series. Not a bad choice of plane to use on CTA if you take bombs. reason being that many players like to use the JU87. The hurricane can get to the airfield before the JU87, can land quickly and take off quickly once captured, it can also patrol with bombs to attack anythnig thats landed and can also deal with the JU87.
I'll add the easy to land part to the description. I didn't want to add all the load-outs, since I think it'd be an overflow of info, and not too relevant. People can look at the unlock thread for details.
Quote:
Also noted is the ability to take a fair bit of damage on the wings and still be able to fly. For some reason the main problem with the hurricane in BoP is the fuselage, but all in all a very nice aircraft to fly.
I'll add it remains pretty stable after taking hits in the wings.
Old 10-20-2009, 02:38 PM
Approved Member

No worries wasnt wanting to take anything away etc, nor make it out to be the best aircraft in the game (far from it as we know). Just trying to help any newbies who are thinking about it as to be honest this and the spitfire are all i really use. Great guide seraph.