Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Pilot's Lounge

Pilot's Lounge Members meetup

Old 11-08-2011, 01:38 AM
Approved Member

Default Are there any current flight sims for the F/A-18?

Hi all,

I've just ordered the board/card-driven game 'Hornet Leader: Carrier Air Ops' based on the reviews at board-game geek.

Anyway, it has sparked an interest in a current flight sim which features the F/A-18. In Lock On it seems to be AI only and I haven't found any others.

Thanks if you can help!

Flying Nutcase
Old 11-08-2011, 02:25 AM
Approved Member

Why would anyone want to fly an F/A-18 when you can fly one of these:

Much simpler. No radar. No missiles. No throttle! (mixture and blip switch only). Fly-by-wire (steel cables). All-moving tail surfaces. Fail-safe undercarriage retraction mechanism (none at all). State-of-the-art variable geometry wings (i.e. wing-warping for roll control, and collapsing entirely to indicate an over-G situation).

Admittedly, the rate of climb is best measured in furlongs per fortnight, but it has an excellent all-round view, and the most advanced weaponry of its time.

Sorry, off-topic I know. In answer to your question, I don't know of any F/A-18 sim. Lock On seems to be the only half-decent sim in recent years covering modern combat aircraft. Too complex for my liking anyway.
Head tracking: TrackIR 5. Sore neck: See previous.

Last edited by AndyJWest; 11-08-2011 at 02:30 AM. Reason: remembered more advanced features ;)
Old 11-08-2011, 02:34 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying_Nutcase View Post
Hi all,

I've just ordered the board/card-driven game 'Hornet Leader: Carrier Air Ops' based on the reviews at board-game geek.

Anyway, it has sparked an interest in a current flight sim which features the F/A-18. In Lock On it seems to be AI only and I haven't found any others.

Thanks if you can help!

Flying Nutcase
You might check out ebay the Jane's F/A-18 is still floating around. It has been modified a great deal over the past couple years. Carrier Ops are awesome in this app.

http://tsh.war-fighters.net/ for excellent addons to it.

http://www.simhq.com/_air5/air_166a.html

Last edited by nearmiss; 11-08-2011 at 02:43 AM.
Old 11-08-2011, 04:21 AM
Approved Member

Thanks guys. I've gone with Lock On and will have to settle for the F-15 and A-10. They'll do just fine.

PS Andy: A very persuasive argument there, lol, and I must admit to not having tried Rise of Flight, but I will when the time is right. I had no intention of flying modern jets until I bumped into the apparently pretty engaging 'Hornet Leader: Carrier Air Ops', after finding 'Downtown: The Airwar Over Hanoi' unavailable.

It'll be an interesting experience after pretty much only flying a Stuka G-1/2 tank-buster in recent times, lol.

S!
Old 11-08-2011, 04:37 AM
Approved Member

I'm living in hope of the F/A-18 being the next plane in the DCS series.

Good luck with lock on!
Old 11-08-2011, 06:37 AM
Approved Member

http://www.seveng-f18.com/index.html

Intel Q9550 @3.3ghz(OC), Asus rampage extreme MOBO, Nvidia GTX470 1.2Gb Vram, 8Gb DDR3 Ram, Win 7 64bit ultimate edition
Old 11-08-2011, 07:11 AM
Approved Member

Cheers Skoshi.

Thanks for the link Bongo. That looks like a really tight study sim. What an amazing cockpit.
Old 11-08-2011, 01:49 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bongodriver View Post
Is there an ETA for a release of that? I have a friend at uni who worked on Hornets in the Finnish Airforce and he keeps going on about how he's waiting for that but has no idea when it's going to be released. But I came to this thread to post that, so you just beat me too it
Old 11-08-2011, 02:42 PM
Approved Member

I think Falcon BMS has an FA/18 Pit and carrier ops too.
Old 11-08-2011, 07:40 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kupsised View Post
Is there an ETA for a release of that? I have a friend at uni who worked on Hornets in the Finnish Airforce and he keeps going on about how he's waiting for that but has no idea when it's going to be released. But I came to this thread to post that, so you just beat me too it
it will be years yet, it's always the way with these independent developers, but I will be happy to bet it will be out before fighter ops.

Intel Q9550 @3.3ghz(OC), Asus rampage extreme MOBO, Nvidia GTX470 1.2Gb Vram, 8Gb DDR3 Ram, Win 7 64bit ultimate edition