Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 06-30-2014, 12:36 AM
Approved Member

Question In-cockpit compass - how to use it?

Hello

Just done a QMB flight and I noticed that I've turned off that little line on the map that tells you where your next waypoint is, presumably by setting realistic navigation to on.

So, this is probably something I should have learnt a long while ago, but with realistic navigation set to "on" how do I use the in-cockpit compass to tell where waypoints are?

Thanks.
Old 06-30-2014, 01:33 AM
Approved Member

The compass just points north(ish), it doesn't offer waypoint information.

You could look into dead reckoning and learn how to chart a course, but that's way beyond hopping into the sim and following a line on the map.

You can also try estimating the course to your desired waypoint by using the terrain and landmarks(villages, etc..) to find your current position relative to it(which is what I do).

If the map you're flying on has beacons(placed by the mission designer), you can also use those to determine your position.

If you're serious about manual navigation, you can also print the maps so you can use them like you would a real navigation chart.
Old 06-30-2014, 01:54 AM
Approved Member

Ah OK, I thought that seeing as when realistic navigation is off the compass (in an F4U-1D at least) points to where the waypoint is and has a bit in the middle you line up to make sure you're going in the right direction that there is some way to make that work with realistic navigation enabled.

Guess I'll just have to keep an eye on the in-game map to keep check of where I am in relation to the waypoints.
Old 06-30-2014, 02:05 AM
Approved Member

Some aircraft allow you to set the compass to a relative heading(I.E. make it point to your course) by binding keys to Compass Heading Plus and Compass Heading Minus in the controls menu.

In the F4U-1D this will move the big arrow on the gyrocompass.

Last edited by Pfeil; 06-30-2014 at 02:09 AM.
Old 06-30-2014, 03:03 AM
Approved Member

Would be cool to have the tools (plotter, rulers, the old dial calculators) and ability to plot and plan navigation routes on the full screen map, in realistic mode, to use dead reckoning. Solomon Island would be one good map for this.Still have these somewhere around here (was my fathers).
Old 06-30-2014, 03:38 AM
Approved Member

I think I'll stick to having realistic navigation set to "off". I have enough problems flying at the moment, having to navigate properly would just complicate things too much for me.

Thanks anyway.
Old 06-30-2014, 04:50 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasJG View Post
Would be cool to have the tools and ability to plot and plan navigation routes
I'd also like to see this. Though it's probably considered a niche feature, it would not only add a dimension to single seat aircraft; with a multiplayer, multicrew bomber this would enable a realistic navigator station.