Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey

IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey Famous title comes to consoles.

Old 09-10-2009, 03:26 PM
Approved Member

The functionality of the stat board will only cause trophy hunters to trade. And for me, that's just fine.

The mentality that your standing on some board makes or breaks a title is facinating to me, so much need for instant gratification and self-promo. The game works very well online, it's subject to the usual issues for flight games on the PS3. If Heros over Europe has a better leaderboard I honestly hope those that think like you do trade in their already purchased copies, and leave the game to those who want to play it for the joy of it. There are enough of us to keep rooms going. Stat padders and trophy hunters never last long anyway.
Old 09-10-2009, 03:30 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamKFAM View Post
There are enough of us to keep rooms going. Stat padders and trophy hunters never last long anyway.
True, if you are running after stats the game stops being a game and becomes work - that's the point when you lose all fun playing it.

I appreciate when as a biproduct of my time playing I get better and it's reflected in my stats, but it has never been the reason for playing. Same as marks meant nothing to me in school...
Old 09-10-2009, 03:57 PM
Registered Member

Default PS3 Leaderboards

Apologies to all if this has already been asked and answered, but what do the symbols on the boards actually represent? Which is kills, is deaths shown and what does the joypad represent?
Old 09-10-2009, 04:02 PM
Approved Member

the little plane is kills on planes. The little controller is games played.. the gunsight is accuracy...

Don't really know what the stars are exactly... get some for taking airfields, some for destroying ground targets in strike... some just appear, i'm sure there is a reason, just don't know it.
Old 09-10-2009, 04:06 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
The functionality of the stat board will only cause trophy hunters to trade. And for me, that's just fine.

The mentality that your standing on some board makes or breaks a title is facinating to me, so much need for instant gratification and self-promo. The game works very well online, it's subject to the usual issues for flight games on the PS3. If Heros over Europe has a better leaderboard I honestly hope those that think like you do trade in their already purchased copies, and leave the game to those who want to play it for the joy of it. There are enough of us to keep rooms going. Stat padders and trophy hunters never last long anyway.
You know, it's perfectly possible to enjoy games for the sake of it but also enjoy a friendly rivalry with friends on the leaderboards without obsessing over it. In fact I'd argue that it's one of the greatest things about this generation of consoles. And the leaderboard is a bit broken, it's there but it's amongst the worst implementations of that feature I've seen.

It is getting truly pathetic on here, the moment anyone points out anything that could be improved upon then a pack of idiotic, self-appointed guardians of the all encompassing brilliance of this game step forward and start trying to make out that the fault is in fact some sort of a feature. In this case apparently it's designed to get rid of people whose attitude toward leaderboards said guardians disapprove of, amazing.
Old 09-10-2009, 04:16 PM
Approved Member

I think you missed the point.

The online game is going to die because of the leaderboard funtionality is the piece I'm adressing.

I too have seen better leaderboards. I have seen folks play their buddies and let kills happen for hours on end to be at the top.

I have seen people low on the board win against people high on the board.

I agree it's kinda fun to hassle friends about it.

I disagree that the online game is broken because of the bland leaderboard feature.

I do agree it's bland though.

Ya know one more thing...

The developers can't fix every whim posted here. My critisism of this one is purely personal, I'd rather have more cockpits, more missions and maps, blackouts, redouts, an end to the crashing to avoid kills, than a new leaderboard. (It's really hard to change at this point by the way there are agreements and applications with the console makers that gotta happen for new data to be stored.) So I'm appointing myself to support changes I want to see and oppose changes I don't need. If you don't like that, well.... you know the rest.

Last edited by IamKFAM; 09-10-2009 at 04:28 PM. Reason: one more thing...
Old 09-10-2009, 04:44 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
I'm in complete agreement with that. Once the achievement/trophy/leaderboard whores have gone the better for the community.

That being said I will go for the achievements myself just because they will force me to use aircraft I would probably not use, thus giving me a whole lot more to do than stick with my favourite fighter in one game mode.
Old 09-10-2009, 06:15 PM
Approved Member

Another thing I found the other day (probably because I'm actually on a leaderboard now lol) is that (on PS3) L1 jumps to the top page of the board, and R1 jumps to the page with you on it. (Or it could be the other way around).

Although it will open on the page with you on it if it can.

I do think the information the leaderboard tells you should be visible somewhere else, so that you can see those stats, even when you're not ranked...

Last edited by InfiniteStates; 09-10-2009 at 06:18 PM.