Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey

IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey Famous title comes to consoles.

Old 11-15-2011, 10:52 PM
Approved Member

Default Xbox BoP Air Race Circuit Q1 2012

I am currently putting together an Air Race tournament for after New Years 2012 for Xbox players. So many contests are about dogfighting I wanted to do something strictly on flying. It should consist of at least 6 race courses...possibly 8. It will be set up on a point system (yet to be determined ) so if a player misses a race they arent necessarily out of the picture. As I see it it will be heats of 2 racers only. I would love to have more but this minimizes the chances of mid-air collisions. Depending on the number of participants it will be a single or double elimination. Each course will be with a different aircraft. AND each course may be a different race: figure 8 pylon, Reno "Valley of Speed" course, long distance drag race, Red Bull ( if possible ) course, etc...all to be worked out and determined. ALL aircraft will be disclosed prior to the beginning of the series but the courses will be only disclosed a week prior to the race. It will be set for one ( or 2 ) days a week at a specific time and date. This way you will be able to know whether you are able to participate or not. I will be adding rules descriptions of the race over the next several weeks. I figure it will take that long to get it all ironed out. This is something to do in a month where there isnt a lot going on and before BoS comes out...

TROPHIES:

I have several items of various value that would be of great interest to WW2 flying fans. They are pretty nice in my opinion. The more players we have the better the trophy(s) will be. I will refrain from posting more info on this until the contest becomes more solidified and I see the participation.

pictures and descriptions TBA soon...

Last edited by bobbysocks; 11-21-2011 at 04:38 PM.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:53 PM
Approved Member

OFFICIAL RULES

#1) I am the official "book". What that means is I get to make the rules and have the final decision. In any circumstance where a judgement or ruling is necessary, my word is final. I am not trying to be a jerk but I am spending the time and effort to organize this. I am the one putting up the prizes ( more on those later ). That doesnt mean I wont listen to suggestions or take advice, but the buck stops here. I will NOT be particapating in the race itself. So I have no vested interest in who wins. I will facilitate each match, set up the course, and fly chase, distribute information, etc...

#2) This will be flown in SIM mode only. The cockpit view, HUD, and sensitivity level selected is entirely up to the pilot. Virtual Cockpit and the best handling sensitivity level for you is recommended for "safety's sake". Crashes are fatal and eliminate you from further races on THAT course at that time...AND award a win to your opponent. The focus is on flying skill and ac handling. Pilots may use the lowering of gear to accomplish flight maneuvers if desired.

#3) The first course will be flown in I-16s and the last race will be in P 51s ( B/D up to the pilot ). Other AC selected ( in no particular order ) are Spitfires ( Mk TBD ), La-5s, Me 109G-2, MC .202. If the race progresses to 8 courses 2 more AC ( TBD) will be added.

#4) All games will be set to "Day/Clear" with unlimited time and fuel. Ammo will be set to limited so pilots, if they believe it makes a difference, can dump all their ammo to lighten their ac. Shooting at an opponent during the race is prohibited and will result in disqualification from the race and/or expulsion from the circuit with the win being awarded to the opponent.

#5) Each course will be set up into 2 zones: the race course and a practice zone. Unless racing entry into the couse area is prohibited. A specified time will be afforded prior to the start of each race for pilots to trim their ac and practice. Crashes at this time will not count agains the pilot. Only crashes on the race course will be counted for elimination. Some of the courses will begin by taking off from an airstrip. This time will be used to land and get sequenced.

#6) The pairing of contestants, issuance of flight times, etc. will be selected by lotto prior to race time. Once a pilot is called to the starting line/position they will have 3 minutes to begin. Failure to show within that time will lead to disqualification and their opponent will be awarded the win and points.

Last edited by bobbysocks; 11-16-2011 at 06:40 PM.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:53 PM
Approved Member

SCORING:
Points ( TBA ) will be earned for each race. The nature of the race will determine the points available and scoring. Some courses may have pylons, obstacles limiting flight paths. Points will be "docked" for not staying within those obstacles. Examples would be missing a pylon, flying higher than the top of the pylon, failure to complete the specified maneuver between pylons. The pilot with the highest number of points after the last race will be crowned the 2012 Air Race Champion.

Every pilot who participates in the race will receive "1" particapation point. You should get credit for playing...plus this helps to keep someone from coming in for the last couple of races and sweeping the standings.

Races will eliminate pilots down to the final 4. This will be done by either best times...or the winning of a head to head heat. After those 4 have been finalized the scoring starts all over again. Previous times or wins are dropped and a new set of heats begin with each of the 4 pilots racing for a "standing".

1st place will be awarded 4 points...plus the 1 participation point = 5 total for the match. 2nd place will be awarded 3 points ( plus the 1 ), 3rd place 2 points ( plus the 1 ) and 4th is awarded 1 point ( plus the 1 ).

LEADERBOARD

INDIVIDUAL RACE RESULTS

Last edited by bobbysocks; 11-21-2011 at 04:37 PM.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:54 PM
Approved Member

COURSE INFORMATION PAGE

This page contains the circuits course maps with descriptions and pertinent information week by week. This info will be released on the Sunday or Monday prior to that weeks event. This will give pilots time to practice on a similar course with the ac assigned to fine tune trim and get acquainted with its flight characteristics.

Course Obstacles

Pylons
Pylons are structures that: mark the boundary of the flight path, signal a change in direction or require a maneuver...to pass by going around or over. Pylons are either natural features on the selected course map...buildings, ships, natural terrain characteristics, etc.. or are items placed at a specific location by me. These will most likely be pillars of fire created by placement of a bomb. The fire from bombing as you will note from the picture has little or no smoke making it easily to identify from an aircraft crash. These will be placed at the beginning of match during the contestants practice time. Pylons that are fixed features on the map may also require the pilot to fly no higher than that structure.

Gates

Gates are 2 pylons placed in close proximity to each other. As with pylons, gates may be existing items already on the selected course map or 2 or more pillars of fire placed at specific locations by me. Gates will most generally be the entry and exit points to the course but are not limited to that. They may be an obstacle requiring the pilot to perform a specified maneuver: loop, half cuban, 360 degree turn, etc. In timed courses the clock will begin when the pilot breeches the "starting" gate and stops upon passing through the finish gate. In head to head competitions the first pilot to break the plane between the 2 pylons at the finish gate will be awarded the victory. Gates that consist of 2 or more fixed features on the map may also require the pilot to fly no higher than that structure.

COURSE CONFIGURATIONS

There will be 5 basic configurations for the race tracks:

A) Red Bull Track: Pilots fly through the pylons and obstacles of this track alone. The official time clock starts when the aircraft breaks the plain of the "Starting Gate". penalty seconds will be added to the pilots final score if the route around pylons is "cut short". If whole pylons are missed or an assigned maneuver skipped the pilot is disqualified. The pilots with the 4 shorted times will then fly the course again for final placement and points.

B) Reno Style track: This course is series of pylons staged an a multi sided configuration that does not cross over itself. It is flown by 2 pilots in a "head to head" match against the other. The race will generally begin from an airfield with the pilots side by side on the runway. They will take off and follow the several directional pylons to the course. They will enter the course through the "starting gate" and fly the prescribed number of laps ( generally 2). Penalty time will be added/subtracted to pilots for "shorting" a pylon. The official time clock will begin when the first plane crosses the finish line and stop when the second plane completes the course. Penalty time will then be awarded. If whole pylons are missed the pilot is disqualified.

C) Hybrid Reno/ Red Bull Track:
This course is flown like a Reno style race with the start commencing at an airport, 2 pilots head to head, with the time clock and penalties similar. This course will, however also incorporate and include one or more "maneuver" gates requiring the pilots to loop, fly a half cuban, reverse half cuban, 360 degree circle, etc. The same penalties and disqualifications apply as the Reno Style race.

D) Drag Race:
This can be either 1) a straight track beginning with a "Starting Gate" and ending after flying several miles on a prescribed course setting to the "Finish Line". Or can be set up with a "Starting Gate" and several pylons staged in a slalom configuration prior to the "Finish Line". The race will most likely begin from an airfield as will the Reno Style race.
In races without slalom pylons, the first plane to cross the "Finish Line" wins the heat. Winners will be bracketed in subsequent heats to determine placement and overall champion ( and points ).
On courses with slalom pylons, the offical clock will begin when the first aircraft crosses the "Finish Line" and stop witht he final contestant crosses. Any pentaltime will be acessed and awarded. Winners will be bracketed in subsequent heats to determine placement and overall champion ( and points ).

E) Figure "8":

This race is set between two pylons which the pilots must circle in a figure 8 flight path. The pilots will take off from an airfield and be guided by directional pylons. After entering the starting gate they will fly the prescribed number of laps which will endwhen the first pilot crosses the "Finish Line" ( which is the starting gate )

Fig 8 image...

Circuit Maps

Week #1 Jan 1 - 7
The Queen's Red Bull Challenge

Aircraft: I-16
Type of Race: Timed/ Against the Clock
Number of Laps: 2
Type of Track: Red Bull Obstacle
Starting Position: In air practice zone
Penalties: +1 second for each pylon missed
Disqualifications: Crashing during the race, failure to complete an assigned maneuver ( loop, half cuban, etc)

The Churchill Gambit

Type of Aircraft: Spitfire Mk IX
Type of race: 1 vs 1
Type of Track: Modified Drag Race
Starting Position: Take off from airfield ( Hawkinge)

Week #2 Jan 8 - 14

HEAD FOR THE HILLS
Type of Aircraft: Me109G2
Type of Race: Against the clock
Number of Laps: 1

The Don Corleone Invitational (and invite you can't refuse)

Aircraft: MC 202
Type of Race: 1 vs 1
Type of Track: Hybrid Reno/Red Bull Track
Starting Position: Take off from Airfield
Penalties: +1 second for each pylon missed
Disqualifications: Crashing during the race, failure to complete an assigned maneuver ( loop, half cuban, etc)

Week #3 Jan 15 - 21

Korsun Winter Round-Up

Aircraft Type: La-5
Type of Track: Reno
Starting Position: Take off from Shevy South Airfield
Airfield Info:
1 Airstrip: 0/18
Altitude: 235 feet ASL
Field conditions: ICY with possible obstructions ( Hay Bails )

CHAMPIONSHIP RACE
THE BERLIN BLACK TIE AFFAIR

Aircraft type: P 51 B/D ( pilots choice )
Type of Track: Modified Figure 8
Starting Position: Take off from Tempelhof Airdrome
Air Field Info:
3 air strips: 9/27 Left, Middle, & Right
Altitude: 223 Feet ASL

(IF needed ) Week #4 Jan 22 - 28

course 1

course 2 ( Championship Race ??)

Last edited by bobbysocks; 01-06-2012 at 06:44 PM.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:54 PM
Approved Member

last one for reserved...

Last edited by bobbysocks; 11-20-2011 at 03:57 PM.
Old 11-16-2011, 01:29 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbysocks View Post
I am currently putting together an Air Race tournament for after New Years 2012 for Xbox players. So many contests are about dogfighting I wanted to do something strictly on flying. It should consist of at least 6 race courses...possibly 8. It will be set up on a point system (yet to be determined ) so if a player misses a race they arent necessarily out of the picture. As I see it it will be heats of 2 racers only. I would love to have more but this minimizes the chances of mid-air collisions. Depending on the number of participants it will be a single or double elimination. Each course will be with a different aircraft. AND each course may be a different race: figure 8 pylon, Reno "Valley of Speed" course, long distance drag race, Red Bull ( if possible ) course, etc...all to be worked out and determined. ALL aircraft will be disclosed prior to the beginning of the series but the courses will be only disclosed a week prior to the race. It will be set for one ( or 2 ) days a week at a specific time and date. This way you will be able to know whether you are able to participate or not. I will be adding rules descriptions of the race over the next several weeks. I figure it will take that long to get it all ironed out. This is something to do in a month where there isnt a lot going on and before BoS comes out...
More to come....but PLEASE hold off asking questions or offering me suggestions for anotehr week until i post more info.
Thanks
D
congratulations bobbysocks,a nice idea again with this game...no limits for this fantastic game!!!
hehe...would like to go at RENO!aaargh...u american people know how to do an air shows!!!!i'm ready to live at RENO and eat a lot of american hamburgers!!

nice idea again bud!

friendly
olife
Old 11-17-2011, 03:19 AM
Approved Member

I am intrigued by this idea.
Old 11-18-2011, 07:02 AM
Approved Member

thanks guys! i think this could be a lot of fun and challenging. I have a lot of details to work out in the next couple of weeks. I just wish Xbox had the screen shot capability that PS does....that would make things a lot easier. if this turns out successful maybe someone will host one for the PS players.
Old 11-18-2011, 08:19 PM
Approved Member

Hey bobbysocks,

Nice idea! I was actually thinking of a custom air race for the game and figured I'd give you the details I had worked out so far in case you might want to include this into your event.

The custom mission I was thinking up was actually a relay race with teams of pilots doing a circuit on various maps. My initial plan was centered around the Stalingrad map since there are 7 airfields scattered around the board!

Basically each pilot will land at a different airfield and just like a real relay race, will remain on the deck until a team member either touched down or landed. To add a little extra challenge to this, I envisioned each team possibly having to utilize one of the ground attack aircraft such as a Ju 87 or IL-2 to encourage a little strategic thinking as to where the best position would be for the slower plane to be placed! From there, each team would have to complete a circuit or a number of circuits with the one coming in first the winner.

Just a little something I had been thinking about not too long ago. I never fulled worked it out, but figured it would be a fun break from combat flight. I don't know if this is something you could or want to use, but just throwing this out there, just in case! Take care man and good luck with your event!!!

EDIT: Forgot to add that each team is only allowed to select any given aircraft once in order to keep everyone from taking K-4s. Also I was still up in the air about taking jets and if allowed, I was only planning to let each team take one!

Last edited by RuffMonk; 11-18-2011 at 11:15 PM.
Old 11-20-2011, 08:28 PM
Approved Member

thanks ruff....i may do that another time but am trying to do a single player type deal. that way teams arent relying upon others to show up...etc. Each player lives or dies by their own flying ability and time restrictions. AND if they arent able to make one week they still may be able to participate. i am close to being ready to open it up for comments and suggestions....probably by wednesday i should have everything i have already figured out entered here. all things are subject to change should i hear of a better way to do something.