Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > King's Bounty > King's Bounty: The Legend > Mods

Mods Everything about mods

Old 01-14-2012, 06:46 AM
Approved Member

Cool HOMM3 Babies Mini-Expansion Beta now Available for Download!

Heroes of Might and Magic 3 Babies (HOMM3 Babies) Mod / Micro / Mini Expansion Pack for King's Bounty: The Legend

Created by: Matt Caspermeyer (matt.caspermeyer@cox.net)

You are free to use any part of my work in your projects so long as you give me credit.

The download link is provided at the bottom of this post.

Please use this forum topic for posting comments about the mod.

I'd like to keep this topic for just updates and change lists.

The current change lists are incomplete, but are located here:

Click here for *.ATOM list
Click here for *.LNG list
Click here for *.TXT list
I'm not sure when I'll have the *.LUA change list and updates to the above lists updated, but I've been providing a change list with each update recently.

Installation:
  1. This mod is not compatible with any other mods since I've most likely modified a file that another mod uses.
    1. You will need to remove all mods from your King's Bounty: The Legend "mods" folder before installation of this mod.
    2. Ensure that the "mods" folder exists, it is typically located here: C:\Program Files (x86)\1C Company\King's Bounty\data\mods
      1. If the "mods" folder does not exist then create it below the "data" folder using the path above as a guide.
  2. Extract the MOD_H3B.KFS file included in this archive to the King's Bounty: The Legend mods folder. This file includes all the changes and works with both the EN*.LNG and ENG*.LNG English localizations.
    1. This folder is typically here: C:\Program Files (x86)\1C Company\King's Bounty\data\mods
    2. If the "mods" folder does not exist, then see note 1.2.1 above.
  3. Run the game:
    1. Start a new game to play!
    2. It is not recommended to continue your current game, please restart.
    3. For your first play through:
      1. Please do not use any cheats (i.e. Save Game Scanner, etc.)
      2. Please do not use with any other mods (probably won't work anyway)
      3. You'll be able to experience the mod as I intended it to be played.

Uninstallation:
  1. Simply delete the MOD_H3B.KFS file from your "mods" folder.
  2. Done!

Notes:
  1. This mod was developed using the Gamer's Gate V1.7 version of King's Bounty: The Legend.
  2. I have not tried it with other versions.
  3. This mod uses the English localizations using both the "eng_" and "en_" prefixes for the localization files.
    1. Other versions may have other prefixes and so you may be able to get this mod to work with your localization version by changing the prefixes of the *.LNG localization files.
      1. The *.LNG files are located inside MOD_H3B.KFS and contain both EN*.LNG and ENG*.LNG (both file sets are identical so either may be used as a baseline).
      2. Simply rename *.kfs to *.zip and extract files if you wish to attempt this (or if you use 7Zip, then just right click the KFS file to extract its contents).
      3. Currently, you're on your own if you want to get it to work with a different localization, but if you'd like to help with localizations in your country then please let me know.

Issues / Bugs:

Since this is a beta release of this mod, it is quite possible that your game will crash or you'll find bugs in this mod. I've done my best to ensure the highest quality experience possible, but invariably I cannot check everything. If you do find issues, please provide me feedback on any issues that you are having with my mod so that I can make improvements and make your playing experience more enjoyable.

If you have any problems during play, here are some pointers:
  1. If it is a game crash, note which action caused the crash.
  2. If the game appears to lock up, ALT-TAB back to Windows to see if there is a pop-up.
    1. If there is a pop-up window, note the message and then click OK to proceed.
    2. After you click OK, the game will most likely crash exit to Windows.
    3. If the game does not crash after you click OK, it is highly recommended to quit your game rather than continue since behavior may be strange.
  3. Save your game often just in case!
  4. If the game locks up when you cursor over a child or item, there is a misspelling in one of the templates:
    1. Note which child it is when this happens
    2. Contact me and let me know which child it is and I'll correct the error
    3. I hope we've found all these errors!
  5. Try to load from a save game and see if it still crashes in the same spot. If it crashes in the same spot, the only hope I have of resolving the issue is for:
    1. You to provide me a savegame.
    2. Provide me the exact steps to repeat the crash.
    3. Without these, my chance of resolving this issue is probably very slim.
Crash List
  1. I've had crashes with a failure to allocate more memory a couple of times. Note that I have not seen this problem in Windows 8, yet, but I haven't had really long (like 8-hour long playing marathons) sessions so I'm guessing this bug is still there.
    1. The solution is to reload your most recent save game and simply continue.
    2. Let me know if you see this problem, but currently I have no idea how to resolve it (I probably would need 1CC or Katauri Interactive's help with this one).
    3. This problem seems to exhibit itself after you've been playing a long gaming session (it seems like I run into this after playing for several hours).
Bug List:
  1. Damage causing effects (i.e. burning and poison):
    1. If an AI unit is killed by a damage causing effect and if the next unit to move is another AI unit, then their damage causing effect is skipped if they have one.
    2. I worked and worked trying to fix this bug, but to no avail.
      1. I'm pretty sure that it is a bug with the game itself as I don't think they intended for damaging effects to kill units.
      2. As such, I don't know how to fix this bug, but if you have any ideas then please let me know!
If you notice any other problems or issues, then please let me know!

It is my intent to make this mod as bug free and enjoyable as possible!

Updates:
  1. As this version of the mod is in a beta state, there are still changes that are being done; however:
    1. The mod is stable enough to play the game completely through - enjoy!
    2. Every change has been checked at least once, but I'm in the quality assurance phase rechecking the code.
    3. I'm currently play testing the game with a Paladin.
  2. At this stage, changes should not require you to restart your game - simply install the new files and continue playing.
    1. Changes will be focused on editing data files (i.e. *.ATOM, *.TXT) to improve game balance and user enjoyability.
    2. New features can still be added, but only if they are really good ideas!
  3. Updates will most likely occur on a monthly basis depending on severity and other factors.
  4. Once the quality assurance phase is completed and sufficient feedback is garnered, the project will transition to the release phase.
  5. The release phase will have all features properly implemented and all controllable bugs fixed.

Modders:
  1. I've made many changes under the hood that only modders or code aficionados would notice.
  2. I've added comments where warranted to the areas in the game that I've changed, but not everywhere.
    1. Feel free to look at these comments and provide me feedback if you know of a better way to implement something.
    2. Certain comments have the word "HACK" where I did not know how to do it a better way - once again if you know a better way to implement this feature then please let me know!
  3. I've unified many *.LUA functions (i.e. like SPELLS_POWER.LUA) so that they all use the same bonus system, etc.
  4. I've made common functions for dealing with redundant code.
    1. The original *.LUA files had lots and lots of redundant code.
    2. I've replaced most of the redundant code in the *.LUA functions I've edited to reduce error and provide code consistency.
  5. I've beautified the sections of the *.LUA files I've changed to make reading the code much, much easier.
  6. The changes I've made really form the basis of a new code base from which you can create new mods.

Copyright Issues:
  1. This work contains images from the Heroes of Might and Magic 3 game and those images are copyrighted.
  2. The picture for Orcelyn Ordy I found via the web, but I have not been able to find out who created that source image.
    1. If you have any information about who created this picture please let me know and I'll give credit to the author.
  3. I created all the new ability icons.
  4. All of my effort is being freely distributed to the public domain.
    1. Please give me credit if you use any portion of my work in your projects - thanks!
    2. Feel free to use this code base as a starting point for your own mod!

THANK YOU!!!
  1. Thanks to all the people posting in the King's Bounty forums, especially those with modding tips!
  2. Thanks for trying out my mod and providing feedback!

Alpha Testing Phase Complete!!!

Thanks to:
  • Fatt_Shade
  • Erkilmarl
  • saroumana
For providing comments that proved invaluable during the alpha phase!

/C\/C\ Matt Caspermeyer

Get the latest version here!

Last edited by MattCaspermeyer; 06-01-2014 at 09:48 AM. Reason: Updated link to get the latest version
Old 01-17-2012, 05:15 AM
Approved Member

Default Update V2012-01-16

This is a critical update!

I had an error in the map difficulty bonus where it was off by a factor of 100! This made the mod unplayable.

Here is the change list:
  • mod_homm3_babies.kfs
    • ARENA.LUA - fixed error in implementation of map location bonus where I forgot to match the units with it and the difficulty bonus (the bonus was off by a factor of 100!)
Please see the first or last post for the download link - thanks!

Last edited by MattCaspermeyer; 02-26-2012 at 03:33 AM. Reason: Removed link because of new update
Old 02-09-2012, 07:09 AM
Approved Member

Default Update V2012-02-09

I have had very little time to play test the mod lately, but I did find a couple of errors recently and have fixed them.

Here is the list:
  • mod_homm3_babies.kfs
    • ITEMS_HINT.LUA - fixed template generator for Xyron's spell bonus description so that it displays the spell list properly
    • SPELLS.LUA - fixed issue with the Phoenix getting its bonus to its resistances applied a second time when it resurrected itself

Last edited by MattCaspermeyer; 02-26-2012 at 03:33 AM. Reason: Removed link because of new update
Old 02-26-2012, 03:29 AM
Approved Member

Default Critical Update V2012-02-25

My time is still very limited, but I found a critical error that caused the game to crash and have fixed it.

It dealt with the fact that I made an error when updating the Necro Call / Animate Dead ability and didn't realize how it selected the units to create from the corpse and so I left a few units off the list. As it turned out, if you cast it on one of these units (Unicorn was one of the units missing from the list) the game would crash. So now I fixed this issue and also made it such that if a unit is somehow not in the list, then a random Undead unit is selected.

There was also an issue with Enchanted Hero where it was using the attacker's hero's statistics rather than the receiver's hero's statistics (for which the Enchanted Hero spell was cast upon) for determining the power of the spells autocast on the defending unit. This was very tricky to notice because it was very subtle, but have now fixed this issue with that spell so that it correctly uses the defender's hero's statistics for autocasting the beneficial spells and not the attacker's.

I also just finished my Paladin game! I might start one other game (Mage), but I'm going to transition to applying this mod to AP and CW next...

Here is the change list for the individual files:
  • mod_homm3_babies.kfs
    • SPELLS.LUA
      • If somehow a unit is not selected from Necro Call (or Animate Dead) one will be selected at random (this is to prevent crashing in case a unit is not in the raise list)
      • Changed some of the function lists for spells associated with Enchanted Hero
      • Added new function to work with Enchanted Hero to properly apply the correct hero bonuses to the spells autocast on the unit
    • UNIT_FEATURES.LUA - fixed issues with Enchanted Hero not working correctly
    • SPELLS.TXT - CRITICAL: fixed missing units from necromancy which would cause the came to crash when cast on those units that were missing from the list
The download link is either in the first or last post.

Last edited by MattCaspermeyer; 04-08-2012 at 07:43 AM. Reason: Removed link because of new update
Old 04-08-2012, 07:41 AM
Approved Member

Default Critical Update V2012-04-08

I'm now able to mod during the weekday nights again as well as to continue playtesting my mod as I also work on the development of my mod for AP and CW. I'm currently playing a new mage game.

I've just discovered a critical bug that is fixed with this update that involves children that use the "scouting" templates. There's only a handful of babies affected, but if you are playing the game and cursor over one of these babies after your wife has them, the game will lockup.

So please download this update, the files affected and the babies under each wife that are affected are listed below.

Here is the change list:

Version: Beta 2012-04-08
  • mod_homm3_babies.kfs
    • TEMPLATES.LNG
      • The "scouting" skill template was named incorrectly.
      • This could cause the game to lockup when cursoring over a baby that used this template.
      • The following babies were affected:
        • Feanora
          • Broghild
        • Gerda
          • Lorelei
        • Diana
          • Piquedram
          • Shiva
        • Neoka
          • Aeris
        • Xeona
          • Calh
          • Fiona
          • Deemer
Once again I've removed the previous link and thanks for your patience if you've experienced this bug and have been awaiting an update.

Last edited by MattCaspermeyer; 06-13-2012 at 07:54 AM. Reason: Removed link because of new update
Old 06-13-2012, 07:52 AM
Approved Member

Default Critical Update V2012-06-12

Hope everyone is having a great summer!

This update provides many updates, but primarily fixes the locking up problem with "Armorer" babies that had the wrong template name. This issue has been fixed.

The full update list is provided below, but here are some notable changes / additions:
  • Royal Thorn now has the Entangle Ability
  • Ancient Ent now uses Greater Entangle
  • The Entangle ability now also halves the affected unit's initiative and no longer affects soaring units (i.e. Dryads, Dragonflies, Ghosts, etc.)
  • Your starting hero's army and spell list are randomly generated from a list that is specified in HERO.TXT
  • When your hero loses in combat, the army he gets is randomly generated and the number of units is selected from either the hero's current leadership or a leadership limit, whichever is smaller
  • The Paladin and Warrior have had their starting leadership and leadership upgrades swapped so that the Paladin how will be able to lead the largest army. I'm pretty sure this will just affect your subsequent leadership levelups and so you should still be able to continue your game without issue.
  • Babies that are Planewalkers, have the Scouting ability, or the Navigation ability have had their stats updated
  • Fixed issue with the Spell Healing when it was used on the Undead it was doing more damage than specified
We're at the point where this mod is starting to become more mature and we can start working on isolating and finding inconsistencies (like the last item listed above).

I'm continuing to play my Mage game, but he's only at level 10, which shows you how much I've played King's Bounty since the last update.

I'm pretty much done with my home remodeling and so expect to be able to work more on this as well as the AP / CW port in the next few months.

The mod version now appears on the opening screen after the King's Bounty version number: H3B: BYYYY-MM-DD. Where: B stands for beta, YYYY is the release year, MM the month, and DD the day. This way you can determine exactly which version you are playing and check this post for whether you have the latest version or not.

The link to the new download is provided below and once again the previous link has been removed - thanks for playing and trying my mod. I hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoyed creating it!

Here's the change list (lots of changes):

Version: Beta 2012-06-12
  • mod_homm3_babies.kfs
    • *.ATOM
      • ENT.ATOM - added level=4 to custom parameters for its post-entangle effect
      • ENT2.ATOM
        • Added level=5 to custom parameters for its post-entangle effect
        • Increased chance of entangle to 75%
      • KINGTHORN.ATOM - added new Entangle ability
    • TEMPLATES.LNG
      • Updated "Planeswalker" baby templates
      • Added new colors for combat log skill bonuses at the start of the round
      • Changed "Armor" template to "Armorer" so that is is now consistent with all other skill names matching their templates as well as now prevents the game from locking up if you move your mouse cursor over one of these babies - thanks to @Zepdog for this one!
    • *.LUA
      • ARENA.LUA
        • Added capability for AI to use new Royal Thorn Entangle ability
        • Frenzy now increases the hero rage every round during combat (similar to Concentration for mana)
        • Each class now has a base mana and / or rage gain per round bonus
        • New logs for skill round bonuses
      • ITEMS_HINT.LUA
        • Fixed issues with "Planeswalker" babies elemental skill generator text
        • Finally discovered how to get a unit's level outside of combat (i.e. use Logic.cp_level) instead of having it hard coded.
      • LOGIC_HERO.LUA
        • The starting and rebirth hero army is now randomly generated from a possible list in HERO.TXT
        • The starting spells and scrolls are now randomly generated from a possible list in HERO.TXT
      • SKILLS.LUA - added new function for showing the combat rounds that the mana (Concentration) and rage (Frenzy) regeneration occur over
      • SPELLS.LUA - fixed bug where the Spell Healing damage to the Undead used the wrong bonus system
      • SPELL_EFFECTS.LUA - updated Entangle so that it also halves a unit's initiative
      • SPELLS_COMMON.LUA - added new unit selector for Royal Thorn Entangle ability
      • UNIT_FEATURES.LUA - updated Entangle ability not to apply to floating (soaring) units
    • *.TXT
      • DIANA_BABIES.TXT
        • Updated "Planeswalker" babies:
          • Kalt (Ice Elemental) bonus is now Physical & Poison Damage / Resistance
          • Lacus (Water Elemental) bonus is now Poison Damage / Resistance
        • Updated "Scouting" babies:
          • Piquedram's Scouting bonus is now +Rage% and +Slower% Rage Drain on Map
          • Shiva's Scouting bonus is now +Rage Inflow% and +Rage per Round
      • EFFECTS.TXT - updated Entangle ability to exclude plants as potential targets
      • FEANORA_BABIES.TXT
          • Broghild's Scouting bonus is now +Rage% and +Slower% Rage
            Drain on Map
        • Voy "Navigation" baby - added Poison Resistance
      • GERDA_BABIES.TXT
          • Thunar (Earth Elemental) bonus is now Physical Damage / Resistance
          • Lorelei's Scouting bonus is now +Rage% and +Slower% Rage Drain on Map
      • HERO.TXT
        • Paladin's and Warrior's starting leadership and level-up values have been swapped such that the Paladin now leads the most troops - thanks to @Fatt_Shade for this request!
        • Now have a random army generation list for both starting and rebirthing (after they lose a combat)
        • Now have the cabability to randomly generate spells and scrolls based on percentages you can specify
        • Starting scroll limits updated
      • LOGIC.TXT - added new parameter for the max leadership to randomly select units when your hero loses in combat
      • MIRABELLA_BABIES.TXT
        • Leadership babies restored to previous values (i.e. Leadership Morale +1, minus one level to other skill):
          • Edric
          • Orrin
          • Sylvia
          • Haart
          • Valeska
          • Christian
          • Sorsha
          • Tyris
        • Sylvia, "Navigation" baby - added poison resistance
      • NEOKA_BABIES.TXT
        • Updated "Planeswalker" babies
          • Monere (Magic Elemental) bonus is now Magic Damage / Resistance
          • Pasis (Psychic Elemental) bonus is now Magic & Poison Damage / Resistance
          • Aeris's Scouting bonus is now +Rage% and +Slower% Rage Drain on Map
      • ORCELYN_BABIES.TXT
        • Updated "Planeswalker" babies
          • Erdamon (Magma Elemental) bonus is now Physical & Fire Damage / Resistance
      • RINA_BABIES.TXT - added missing Necro Call bonus to Thant (thanks again to @Fatt_Shade!)
      • SKILLS.TXT - Frenzy now adds rage per round
      • SPECIAL_PARAMS.TXT - added new rage gain per round item bonus
      • XEONA_BABIES.TXT
          • Fiur (Energy Elemental) bonus is now Magic & Fire Damage / Resistance
          • Ignissa (Fire Elemental) bonus is now Fire Damage / Resistance
          • Calh's Scouting bonus is now +Rage% and +Slower% Rage Drain on Map
          • Fiona's Scouting bonus is now +Rage%, +Slower% Rage Drain on Map, +Rage Inflow%, and +Rage per Round (she has Scouting Level 2)
          • Deemer's Scouting bonus is now +Rage%, +Rage Inflow%, and +Rage per Round (level 2) (he has Scouting Level 2)
  • mod_homm3_babies_en(g)_lng.kfs
    • EN(G)_BATTLE.LNG - new log templates for combat abilities at the start of the round
    • EN(G)_HOMM3_BABIES_XXX.LNG (where XXX is for each wife)
      • Updated "Planeswalker" baby generator if this wife had one of these babies
      • Updated "Armorer" baby generator to match the word (rather than just armor) so that it is consistent with all other generator names
      • Updated "Scouting" baby templates
      • Updated "Navigation" baby templates (Voy & Sylvia)
      • Updated Mirabella's "Leadership" baby templates
      • Fixed lower case names in Xeona's baby file: Deemer, Malekith
    • EN(G)_SPELLS.LNG - updated Entangle description
    • EN(G)_UNITS_FEATURES.LNG
      • Updated Entangle description
      • Added "Greater Entangle" for Ancient Ent's entangle ability (affects unit levels 1-5 with a 75% chance)
    • EN(G)_UNITS_SPECIALS.LNG - updated Entangle description
    • EN(G)_WINDOWS.LNG
      • Each class now has a base mana and / or rage generation rate
      • Mod version now appears to the right of the King's Bounty version
    • EN(G)_WIVES.LNG - added new generator label
  • mod_homm3_portraits.kfs
    • TEX334.DAT - updated to include new ability small pictures (i.e. Royal Thorn Entangle)
    • TEX335.DAT - updated to include new ability pictures (i.e. Royal Thorn Entangle)
    • TEX334.DDS - updated to include new ability small pictures (i.e. Royal Thorn Entangle)
    • TEX335.DDS - updated to include new ability pictures (i.e. Royal Thorn Entangle)

Okay - that's it! If you have any issues with this mod version, please let me know.

/C\/C\

Last edited by MattCaspermeyer; 06-16-2012 at 11:19 AM. Reason: Removed link because of new update
Old 06-16-2012, 11:17 AM
Approved Member

Default Critical Update V2012-06-16

I found an error where I accidentally introduced a typo into Gerda's baby Lorelei causing the game to crash when Gerda had babies.

Last edited by MattCaspermeyer; 06-22-2012 at 06:03 AM. Reason: Removed link because of new update
Old 06-22-2012, 06:02 AM
Approved Member

Default Errata Update V2012-06-21

Frenzy level 2 and higher was adding too much rage per round to your hero - this has been fixed.

Last edited by MattCaspermeyer; 12-03-2012 at 07:32 AM. Reason: Removed Link Due to New Update
Old 12-03-2012, 07:31 AM
Approved Member

Exclamation Critical Update V2012-12-01

This is a critical update that fixes an issue with Orcelyn having babies as well as makes many fixes, adds new features, and implements ideas that will also be going into my H3T mod for AP / CW.

The download link is at the bottom of this post - feel free to go down there if you don't want to read the change list.

Here are the main changes from an idea / implementation standpoint:
  • Archive
    • There is now just a single KFS file (mod_h3b.kfs) that you need to extract to the data\mods folder. Included in it are all the files needed to play my mod and includes both English variants (i.e. EN_ and ENG_) of the localization files. This greatly simplifies installation and uninstallation of the mod.
  • Spirits
    • Spirit abilities now start with low rest and usually increase rest as the ability becomes stronger. I think this makes for a lot better start with using your Spirits' beginning abilities and makes choices more strategic as the ability becomes more powerful, but requires more rest. There are still rest reduction upgrades just like before.
    • Lina's Ice Thorn now damages units where a Thorn would go and Ice Thorns also damage attackers and have an area of affect damage when they explode. Essentially they work the same as before, except that if a unit is where the Thorn would go, then that unit suffers damage. An Ice Thorn now has a limited lifetime that is a random duration from 1 to the number of rounds specified. If a unit attacks an Ice Thorn, then the Thorn returns a certain percentage of damage (i.e. "thorns" damage). Also, if the Ice Thorn expires, then it does area of effect damage to all hexes around the Ice Thorn (not including other Ice Thorns), whether they be friend or foe. I really like this change to Lina's Ice Thorns ability as it gives her a direct damage spell to add in leveling her as well as it simply feels right to me. You can still use them to block your enemies, but now they are far more useful.
  • Units - There are many subtle changes to certain units that I feel adds more flavor to their use / attacking them, including:
    • Dwarves
      • Have the unit feature (with a few exceptions) "Likes Dungeons", giving them +25% Attack in Dungeons.
      • Have the unit feature (with a few exceptions) "Sea Sick", giving them -2 Morale at Sea.
      • Giants now have the "Resistant to Cold" unit feature
    • Elves
      • Have the unit feature "Loves the Forest", giving them +50% Attack in Forests.
      • Have the unit feature (with a few exceptions) "Dislikes Dungeons", giving them -1 Morale in Dungeons.
    • Neutrals
      • Bears, Ancient Bears, and Graywolves have the unit feature "Likes the Forest", giving them +25% Attack in Forests.
      • Cyclops' Ranged Attack now Stuns and knocks units Unconscious.
      • Spiders (Fire and Venomous) now have the unit feature "Underground", which both Undead and Spiders had. Fire Spiders also have the same Demon Arena bonuses and penalties (had forgotten to include this before).
      • Thorns - Have the unit feature "Tasty Soil", giving them +25% Health in Forests.
    • Orcs - Shamans
      • Life and Death Totem's Health are now a percent of the Shaman's Total Health and have had their Health increased.
      • Life and Death Totem's now have increasing Initiative based on the strength of the totem.
    • Undead
      • Changed the +1 Morale in Cemeteries to +50% Defense since the AI units gain no benefits from Morale.
      • Bone Dragons now have the unit feature "Dread", which decreases enemy unit Morale -3 for units of level 1-2, -2 for units of level 3-4, and -1 for units of level 5.
      • Ancient Vampire's Death's Deception now only works 50% of the time.
  • Hero
    • The hero's attack now increases the maximum damage cap and a unit's chance to critically strike its targets for a certain divisor of attack (i.e. for every 7 attack).
    • The hero's defense now decreases the minimum damage cap and a unit's resistance to all for a certain divisor of defense (i.e. for every 7 defense).
    • Implemented Leadership Reduction limits (only applies to a new game) so that you can't get too high of a Leadership Reduction for a unit when combining certain, skills, items, and babies (Leadership Reduction limit is set to -50%).
    • For determining the enemy unit Attack / Defense bonuses, there was no way that I could find to get the enemy hero Attack / Defense (if someone knows a way, then please let me know). So these bonuses are taken from the unit's base statistic subtracted from its current statistic after the difficulty level bonus is applied at the beginning of combat (before round 1). This makes fighting enemy units on harder difficulty levels harder.
    • ***CRITICAL*** Fixed misspelling of "spell_dispell" for Paladin and Mage heroes starting spell possibility. I'm pretty sure the game would crash if you got the misspelled spell.
  • Skills
    • Destroyer now increases chance of effect by value specified (i.e. burn, poison, etc.).
  • Spells / Specials
    • Battle Cry now increases Morale instead of Initiative.
    • Haste now also increases Initiative and chance for a Critical Hit.
    • Slow now also decreases Initiative and increases susceptibility to a Critical Hit.
    • Stone Skin is now mass at level 3 (mana, crystals, etc. changed to accommodate).
    • Sleeping and Unconscious units always receive Critical Damage.
    • Entangled units chance to receive a Critical Hit is doubled.
    • Giant's Quake no longer damages Archdemons and Demonesses, since they have wings and should be able to momentarily fly to avoid damage. Note that since Giants are Male Humanoids, this would sometimes engage the Demonesses' Beauty feature, but now it is no longer needed.
    • Freeze Immnue units now have a greater possible chance of not being Frozen.
    • Fire Immune and Demon units how have a greater change of being Frozen.
    • Fixed missing Sprites from Skeleton reanimate list for Necromancy Spell.
    • Lowered some of the infliction chances so that it takes a higher level character to get them to 100% (Trap, Fire Arrow, and Poison Skull).
  • Wives / Babies / Items:
    • ***CRITICAL*** Fixed error in Gretchen's bonus list that prevented the other babies in Orcelyn's baby file from being valid babies. This was causing the game to crash when Orcelyn was having babies.
    • Orcelyn's Leadership Reduction now includes Shamans.
    • Tyraxor's bonuses now include Shamans.
    • Fixed lower case "zubin" -> "Zubin".
    • Babies and items with bonuses to spells that have an effect (i.e. Fire Arrow with Burn) now also increase the chance of that effect happening.
  • Hints
    • When mousing over the Hero's Attack, Defense, or Intellect, the hint slows the base and current bonuses.
    • If spell / effect duration is affected by the target's resistance, then it is mentioned in the battle log.
    • Shaman Totems ability hint now specifies the Titan Energy used to increase their Health as well as showing their Total Health and Initiative.
    • Right clicking on an Ice Thorn will show how much Thorns damage it does to Attackers and when it explodes.
    • Geyser's Freeze and Stun chances are listed individually.
    • Chance of Effect (Infliction) bonuses are now listed.
    • Haste and Slow now include the Initiative and Critical Hit bonuses / penalties
    • Battle Cry now properly shows Morale change.
  • UI
    • Spirit upgrade UI expanded to handle more text for upgrades.
  • AI
    • Updated to include changes to Battle Cry, Haste, and Slow.
Okay, that is most of the changes, but here is the detailed file-by-file change list:

Version: Beta 2012-12-01
  • All files have been combined into a single KFS file to make installation / unintstallation easier.
  • mod_h3b.kfs - new combined archive with all files
    • *.ATOM
      • BONEDRAGON.ATOM
        • Bone Dragon's now have the Dread feature, which decreases enemy morale based on level.
          • Level 1-2: -3 Morale
          • Level 3-4: -2 Morale
          • Level 5: -1 Morale
      • CYCLOP.ATOM
        • Ranged attack now stuns and knocks units unconscious
      • DEATH.ATOM - Ability rest values now start low and increase as the ability gets more powerful
      • DEVATRON.ATOM - Ice thorns now have a thorns ability that damages attackers and units surrounding the thorn when it explodes
      • DEVATRON_THROW.ATOM - A variant of the devatron atom for attack purposes
      • LINA.ATOM
        • Ability rest values now start low and increase as the ability gets more powerful
        • Ice Thorns
          • Now damage enemies where a thorn would go
          • Now have a random life from 1 to duration turns, after which the thorn explodes doing area of effect damage around the thorn
          • Damage attackers
          • Thorn returned damage is now a certain percentage of the thorn damage and applies to both attackers and area of effect damage
      • SHAMAN.ATOM
        • Death Totem health is now percent of Shaman health (40%)
        • Life Totem health is now percent of Shaman health (50%)
        • New parameter, init_den (for both totems), increases the totem's initiative by it's health divided by this parameter
      • SLIME.ATOM - Ability rest values now start low and increase as the ability gets more powerful
      • SPIDER_FIRE.ATOM - added the Demon arena_bonuses section since I changed them to Demons and forgot to do this previously
      • THEROCK.ATOM - Ability rest values now start low and increase as the ability gets more powerful
      • TOTEM_DEATH.ATOM - Totem damage doubled
      • TOTEM_LIFE.ATOM
        • Totem cure doubled
        • Removed nfeatures: plant, golem, undead - cure now affects these creatures as well
      • Dwarf ATOMs: ALCHEMIST, CANNONER, DWARF, GIANT, MINER
        • +25% Attack (except Giants and Miners) in Dungeon environments, note that Miners receive +50% Attack in Dungeons due to their Night Sight
        • -2 Morale (except Cannoneers and Giants) at Sea
        • Added the appropriate headers / hints
      • Elf ATOMs: DRUID, DRYAD, ELF, ELF2, ENT, ENT2, SPRITE, SPRITE_LAKE, UNICORN, UNICORN2, WEREWOLF, WOLF
        • +50% Attack in Forest environments
        • -1 Morale (except Black Unicorn, Werewolf, and Werewolf Elf) in Dungeon environments
        • Added the appropriate headers / hints
      • ATOMs that like the forest: BEAR, BEAR2, GRAYWOLF - +25% Attack in Forest environments
      • Resistant to Cold ATOMs: BEAR2, GIANT
        • GIANTS now have the Resistant to Cold feature
        • BEAR2 had Resistanct to Cold arena bonuses (the bonus hint did not mention this), but I think that was a mistake so it has been removed
      • Thorn ATOMs: KINGTHORN, THORN, THORN_WARRIOR - Tasty Soil: +25% Health in Forest environments
      • Undead ATOMs: ARCHER, BAT, BAT2, BLACKKNIGHT, BONEDRAGON, NECROMANT, SKELETON, VAMPIRE, VAMPIRE2, ZOMBIE, ZOMBIE2 - +50% Defense in cemeteries (was +1 morale, but I changed it since morale does not affect the computer controlled units)
      • Underground ATOMs: SPIDER_FIRE, SPIDER_VENOM - SPIDER_FIRE and SPIDER_VENOM now have the Underground feature (Undead Spiders get this bonus from being Undead)
    • *.LNG
      • EN(G)_BATTLE.LNG - Added new battle log labels for when spell duration is increased / decreased due to unit's resistance
      • EN(G)_HERO.LNG
        • Changed Attack hint to include:
          • Amount of attack needed to increase max damage cap and critical hit
          • Critical Hit increase per attack
          • Max Damage Cap increase per attack
          • Total Critical Hit increase
          • Max Damage Cap
        • Changed Defense hint to include:
          • Amount of defense needed to decrease min damage cap and increase resist all
          • Resist all increase per defense
          • Min Damage Cap decrease per defense
          • Total Resist all increase
        • Changed Intellect hint to include:
          • Amount of intellect needed to increase spell power and duration
          • Amount of power increase per intellect
          • Amount of duration increase per intellect
          • Total power increase
          • Total duration increase
      • EN(G)_HOMM3_BABIES_ORCELYN.LNG
        • Changed Tyraxor's bonuses to include Shamans
        • Fixed lower case "zubin"
      • EN(G)_SKILLS.LNG - Destoyer now also increases chance of infliction (i.e. burn, poison, etc.)
      • EN(G)_SPELLS.LNG
        • Sleeping and Unconscious units always receive critical damage
        • Entangled units chance to receive a critical hit is doubled
        • Battle Cry now increases unit's morale instead of initiative
        • Haste now also increases a unit's initiative and chance to critically strike its target
        • Slow now also decreases a unit's initiative and increase its susceptibility to critical strikes
        • Stone Skin is now mass at level 3
        • Added new infliction bonus labels
        • Geyser hint now includes freeze chance
      • EN(G)_SPIRITS.LNG
        • Updated Ice Thorns description to include its new abilities
        • Added rest increases to spirit abilities where appropriate
        • Added new labels for Ice Thorns new features
        • Removed abbreviations for Orb level-up since UI now has more room
        • Added new Ice Thorn labels
        • Changed Ice Thorn levelups
      • EN(G)_UNITS.LNG
        • Updated Ice Thorns arena description
        • Updated Elf Race description
        • Updated Dwarf Race description
        • Updated Undead Race description
        • Updated Demon Race description
        • Updated Ice Thorn right-click hint to include Thorns damage and new hint
        • Added new Bone Dragon Dread morale penalty hint
      • EN(G)_UNITS_FEATURES.LNG
        • Updated Ancient Vampire's Death's Deception so that it only works 50% of the time
        • Added new Cyclops features
        • Updated Dwarf units so that they include the "Likes Dungeons" feature (with a few exceptions)
        • Updated Dwarf units so that they include the "Sea Sick" feature (with a few exceptions)
        • Updated Elf units so that they include the "Loves Forests" feature
        • Updated Elf units so that they include the "Dislikes Dungeons" feature (with a few exceptions)
        • Updated Bone Dragon to include new Dread feature
        • Removed Night Sight from Undead Spider feature list since it was redundant with their Undead feature
        • Added Underground feature to Fire Spiders and Venomous Spiders
        • Added "Likes the Forest" feature to Graywolves, Bears, and Ancient Bears
        • Added the "Tasty Soil" feature to Royal Thorns, Thorns, and Thorn Warriors
        • Added the "Throws Stones" feature to Cyclopses
        • Updated Giant Attack hint
        • Updated Ogre Attack hint
        • Added new Bone Dragon Dread hint
        • Updated Undead hint so that they gain +50% Defense in cemeteries instead of +1 Morale (since it didn't effect AI units anyway)
        • Updated Marine hint to include exact Morale increase
        • Added new Tasty Soil hint
        • Added new Likes Dungeons hint
        • Added new Likes the Forest hint
        • Added new Loves the Forest hint
        • Added new Dislikes Dungeons hint
        • Added new Sea Sick hint
      • EN(G)_UNITS_SPECIALS.LNG
        • Updated Shaman Totem hints to include Titan Energy for health and new initative parameter
        • Added new Titan Energy labels
      • EN(G)_WINDOWS.LNG - updated version number
      • TEMPLATES.LNG
        • Added new "damage" macro to hint_t0 template for displaying the Ice Thorns' "thorns" damage to attackers and for area of effect damage
        • Added the following macros to the left_t macro for displaying the new attack, defense, and intellect bonuses to the hero screen:
          • att_den - this is the amount of attack needed to increase maximum damage and unit critical hit
          • krit_inc - this is the critical hit increase per att_den attack
          • att_cap_inc - this is the maximum damage increase per att_den attack
          • att_krit - this is the total critical hit increase per hero attack
          • def_den - this is the amount of defense needed to decrease unit damage and increase unit resistance to all
          • res_inc - this is the resist all increase per def_den defense
          • def_res - this is the the actual resist all increase based on the hero's defense
          • def_dec - this is the actual damage decrease based on the hero's defense
          • int_den - this is the amount of intellect needed to increase the power of spells
          • power_inc - this is the increase in spell power per int_den
          • dur_den - this is the amount of intellect needed to increase the duration of spells
          • dur_inc - this is the increase in spell duration per dur_den
          • int_power - this is the total spell power increase based on the hero's intellect
          • int_dur - this is the total spell duration increase based on the hero's intellect
        • Added the following macros to the special_t template:
          • health_totem - lists the health of the totem, including the increase due to Titan Energy
          • health% - lists the percent of totem health based on the Shaman's health
          • titan_energy - lists how much Titan Energy is being used to increase the health of the unit
          • init_totem - lists the totem's initiative
        • Added the following macros to the int_spr_Lvlup_tAD template:
          • freeze - for the new Ice Thorns' freeze chance
          • thorns - for the new Ice Thorns' "thorns" damage
          • duration - for the new Ice Thorns' max random duration
          • freezeOld, freezeNew - for leveling up the ability
          • thornsOld, thornsNew - for leveling up the ability
        • Added the following macros to the int_spr_th0 template:
          • freeze - the freeze chance
          • thorns - the thorns percentage
        • Added the following macros to the blog_td0 template:
          • durold, durnew - new macros for the label that states when a spell / effect duration has been increased / decreased due to the target's resistance
          • restype - new macro that displays the resistance that caused the spell / effect duration to increase / decrease
        • Added the following macros to the spells_tSpell template:
          • DS04_Krit - new critical Hit increase for Haste spell
          • DS05_Krit - new Critical Hit susceptibility for Slow spell
          • DS18_Freeze - new Geyser freeze chance
    • *.LUA
      • Fixed Game.Random( 100 ) errors so that the proper probability is used, files effected: ARENA.LUA, BOSS.LUA, PAWN.LUA, SPECIAL_ATTACKS.LUA, SPELLS.LUA, SPIRIT_LINA.LUA, UNIT_FEATURES.LUA
      • ARENA.LUA
        • Sleeping and Unconscious units always receive critical damage
        • Entangled units chance to receive a critical hit is doubled
        • Ancient Vampire's Death's Deception now only works 50% of the time
        • Slow now increases the chance of a unit receiving a critical strike from its attacker
        • The hero's attack now affects the attacker's critical hit
        • The hero's defense now affects the receiver's resistance
        • The hero's attack and defense now affect the maximum and minimum damage caps (i.e. 300% and 1/3) scaled by the attack-defence difference
        • For enemy units:
          • Since there appears to be no way of getting the enemy hero attack / defense, the enemy hero's attack / defense is computed at the beginning of combat based on the unit's current and base attack / defense after the difficulty bonus is applied.
          • If anyone knows how to get the enemy hero's attack / defense then let me know (there is a way to get the hero's intellect, but that is a special Logic library function).
          • This means that enemy units not led by an enemy hero can still potentially get:
            • Increased Critical Hit
            • Increased Maximum Damage Cap
            • Decreased Minimum Damage Cap
            • Increased Resistances
            • Even if the unit is led by an enemy hero, the computed enemy hero attack / defense values can be quite a bit greater than the enemy hero's actual attack / defense
            • This makes the game harder at the harder difficulty levels as the enemy units get better bonuses
        • Updated spell AI to accommodate changes to Battle Cry, Haste, and Slow
      • LOGIC_HERO.LUA - Leadership Reduction counters are now limited to the lr_limit value specified in CONFIG.TXT when starting a new game
      • SPECIAL_ATTACKS.LUA
        • Shaman Totem health is now a percent of the Shaman's total health
        • Shaman Totem initiative is now the same as the Shaman's base initiative + the Totem's health divided by its init_den (specified in SHAMAN.ATOM)
        • Giant Quake no longer damages Archdemons and Demonesses since they have wings (their "special" / "avoid" animations are played, respectively, instead). Note that since Giants are male humanoids that the Demoness's Beauty feature used to come into play, but now it is not needed.
      • SPECIAL_HINT.LUA
        • Updated Shaman Totem Health hint to include the Titan Energy stored on the Shaman
        • Added Shaman Totem Initiative hint
      • SPELLS.LUA
        • Freeze Immune units now have a greater possible chance of not being frozen with the Ice Snake and Geyser spells
        • Fire Immune and Demon units now have a greater possible chance of being frozen with the Ice Snake and Geyser spells
        • Ice Snake and Geyser now use a common function for determining whether units are frozen
        • Battle Cry (spell_reaction) now increases unit morale instead of initiative
        • Haste now also increases a unit's initiative and chance to critically strike its target
        • Slow now also decreases a unit's initiative and increases its susceptibility to critical strikes
        • Stone Skin is now mass at level 3
      • SPELLS_HINT.LUA
        • Updated Slow hint to include initiative reduction and increased susceptibility to critical hits
        • Updated Haste hint to include initiative increase and increased chance of critical hits
        • Added Geyser Freeze probably to hint
      • SPELLS_POWER.LUA
        • Added new dur_inc parameter
        • Added capability to show the spell / effect duration log due to the target's resistance
        • Power Slow now returns critical hit susceptibility value
        • Power Haste now returns critical hit increase value
        • Power Geyser now returns freeze chance
        • Changed how I was computing the infliction increase
      • SPIRIT_LINA.LUA - Implemented new functions for the Ice Thorn
      • TEXTGEN.LUA - Added new function to provide number descriptions to the attack, defense, and intellect tips
      • UNIT_FEATURES.LUA
        • Mind Immune createres cannot be knocked unconscious by the Giant's attack
        • The Undead can be stunned by the Ogre's attack and the Undead and Mind Immune creatures cannot be knocked unconscious
        • The Cyclop's throw attack can now stun and knock units unconscious
        • The Bone Dragon now decreases morale based on unit level
    • *.PNG
      • LEVELUP_BG2_EXTENDED.PNG - New picture that allows for more room in the spirit upgrade description boxes
      • SPIRIT_LEVELUP_BUTTON_NORMAL_EXTENDED.PNG - New picture for the larger spirit upgrade description
      • SPIRIT_LEVELUP_BUTTON_ONMOUSE_EXTENDED.PNG - New picture for the larger spirit upgrade description
      • SPIRIT_LEVELUP_BUTTON_ONPRESS_EXTENDED.PNG - New picture for the larger spirit upgrade description
    • *.TXT
      • CONFIG.TXT
        • New attack_config parameters
          • den - this is the hero attack divisor for computing max damage cap increase and critical hit increase
          • krit_inc - this is the amount of critical hit increase per den
          • cap_inc - this is the amount of max damage cap increase per den
        • New defense_config parameters
          • den - this is the hero defense divsor for computing min damage cap increase and resistance increase
          • res_inc - this is the increase in resist all per den
        • New hero_leadership_reduction parameter: lr_limit - this is the maximum leadership reduction counter for all units
      • HERO.TXT - ***CRITICAL*** Fixed misspelling of "spell_dispell" for Paladin and Mage heroes
      • ITEMS.TXT
        • Added sp_gain_infliction_burn to "flame_necklace" and "storm_necklace"
        • Added sp_gain_infliction_shock to "adept_staff" and "arhmage_staff" (note that it is really spelled that way)
      • ORCELYN_BABIES.TXT
        • Added Shamans to Tyraxor's bonuses
        • ***CRITICAL*** - Fixed error in Gretchen's bonus list that was causing the game to crash when Orcelyn was having babies
      • SPECIAL_PARAMS.TXT
        • Changed individual add and gain spell infliction bonuses to general effect bonuses (i.e. ..infliction_fire_arrow -> ..infliction_burn)
        • This effects bonuses in ITEMS.TXT, DIANA_BABIES.TXT, MIRABELLA_BABIES.TXT, NEOKA_BABIES.TXT, RINA_BABIES.TXT, XEONA_BABIES.TXT
      • SPELL.TXT
        • Necromancy - Added missing Sprites to Skeleton reanimate list
        • Battle Cry (spell_reaction) now increases unit morale instead of initiative
        • Slow now also decreases a unit's initiative and increase its susceptibility to critical strikes
        • Stone Skin is now mass at level 3 (mana, crystals, etc. adjusted accordingly)
        • Reduced Trap base poison infliction percent to 25 (was 35)
        • Geyser now has a specified freeze chance, and increased stun chance from 10 to 15
        • Fire Arrow now has a burn chance of 20 (was 25)
        • Poison Skull now has a poison chance of 20 (was 25)
      • WIFES.TXT - Added Shaman to Orcelyn's Leadership Requirement bonus
    • *.UI
      • SP_LEVEL_UP.UI - Increases the size of the spirit levelup dialog to handle more text

That's a lot of changes, but they also serve as a preview of the features that I'd like to implement in my H3T mod for AP / CW.

/C\/C\

Last edited by MattCaspermeyer; 01-27-2013 at 05:28 AM. Reason: Removed Link Due to New Update
Old 12-03-2012, 08:28 AM
Approved Member

Spirits :
- nice idea to make rest/lvlup change. It was hard to use spirits early when you have only 1 skill and rest like 4 turns
- Lina ice thorns is from WotN, also nice touch. At least now she have some bonus for exp, not like before when you needed 100 battles to get her to lvlup.

Units :
- nice racial bonuses for dwarf/elf ... why would only demon/undead have area bonuses.
- maybe give undead +25% on cemetery, because moral gives +stats for att,def,crit%. How about +25% for att/def , instead +50%def ?

Hero :
- bonus for every 7 points in att/def it`s great you implemented this here. Intellect had to much bonuses compared to att/def before.
- spell_dispel , who would figure this out if crashes started
- why limit lds reduction ? i loved my 28 lds griffins (Eddric , glory , griffin banner)

Spells/specials :
- it`ll take some testing to see will it work all

Wives :
- great for Orcelin, and including shamans.

Will this changes go into Ap/Cw version also ?