Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Technical threads > Controls threads

Controls threads Everything about controls in CoD

Old 04-22-2011, 12:59 PM
Approved Member

Default Landing & Taking off incredibly easy

Has anyone noticed that landing and taking off is incredible easy compare to Il2?

I was expecting to have harder time flying in CloD, but aside from gunnery(which is now harder with more head movement), everything else is incredibly easy compare to Il2.

Torque is easy to handle even with rapid changes in throttle, the Huris and Spits are much less bouncy at landing (which might be a good thing, as I always thought Il2's spit was a little bit too bouncy). I landed on a dime next to the Buckingham palace on my Spit the first try.

Yes, it's full switch.
I don't have real life pilot experience, so what do you pilots think?

Also, another thing I've always hated about il2 remains in CloD - if my wing touches the hanger at <1mph, the whole plane spins and recoils at an incredible rate, taking off the tail and the other wing. That's just shoddy physics.
Old 04-22-2011, 01:10 PM
Ali Fish

i thought this last night whilst contemplating the games many issues.

im thinking the ground physics could be a placeholder for whats to come. And that what You expereince is from il2'46. all be it in not quite the same game engine. same as the sound too. clearly the sound engine hasnt been completed.

might be nice for the devs to have a list of what is or is not a placeholder. and what is or not complete. it would stop a bunch of bugs posts and discussions on the affected areas.

i also dont think ive landed a plane yet in anywhere near realistic conditions. head, tail & sidewinds have not been takin into account with my opinions.

Last edited by Ali Fish; 04-22-2011 at 01:23 PM.
Old 04-22-2011, 01:16 PM
Approved Member

I think that landing the Hurricane especially must have been relatively easy, German pilots flying captured british aircraft reported that they were easy to land, also remember that RAF pilots managed to land Hurricanes onto the carrier HMS Glorious
Old 04-22-2011, 04:44 PM
Approved Member

Some of the ground physics might be a bit dodgy at present. According to a translated post by the developers from the Russian forum, it seems we still have about 50% of the game's features being optimized and not yet released, stuff that will gradually be available with the patches.

For example, after one my first sorties when i first got the sim, i tried to taxi a 109 from the runway to the hangars. When my wheels moved off the grass surface and touched the tarmac in front of the hangar, the game engine treated it as a collision with the aircraft breaking up and jumping up in the air

That being said, i find that landings are easier for another reason too and that's something that's actually realistic. It seems that the sense of speed and altitude above ground is much better than IL2:1946 and that makes it much easier to accurately judge your approach and flare.

As for winds and weather effects they are definitely there, i just don't know how many and which missions have them to enough severity that they would be noticeable. For example, the cross country flight in the QMB seems to have a definite crosswind just as you spawn on the airfield. If you choose a light airframe like a Tiger Moth, you can see that it weather-vanes to the right before you start the engine.

Since the weather is static and not dynamic yet, the best way to know is to open the mission in FMB and see if any weather layers are enabled for the particular mission, but overall it's in the game and it works. Another forum user has also done some testing with extreme crosswinds recently and posted his findings via a youtube video.
Old 04-22-2011, 05:10 PM
Approved Member

I can't be that good - can I?
Old 04-22-2011, 06:00 PM
BigPickle

I think landing in the 109 is well tricky, near stall speeds it turns into a brick. The blenhiem can be unruley too at low speeds.
Old 04-22-2011, 07:23 PM
Approved Member

I find it more realistic now (I have ~300 hours in singles and ~10 hours in twins, all piston). Sturmovik airplanes are all way too bouncy and they float too much. Torque on takeoff I find similar to Il2 1946, that's why it actually seems easy to many, it was already quite good. I find that, especially in the Bf-109, I need to push the nose to get the tail wheel off the ground during the takeoff run, which is also pretty realistic in my book (I have only a few hours in a taildragger, so not too much RL experience there).
Old 04-22-2011, 07:29 PM
Approved Member

Yes, I also find the landings very easy. Even the dreaded 109 is easy.
Maybe it's my eleven years of 'old' Il-2 flying that counts?

Today I tried to taxi into a hangar but that was a bad idea, as Blackdog found out.
Placeholders I hope, because I like this sim more and more.
Old 04-22-2011, 07:36 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mags View Post
Today I tried to taxi into a hangar but that was a bad idea, as Blackdog found out.
Placeholders I hope, because I like this sim more and more.
Why what happens when you taxi into a hangar? I do it after every landing with no problem.
Old 04-22-2011, 07:43 PM
Approved Member

Hi, scissorss.

I taxied in very slowly and my 109 jumped right up and swiveled around, shredding bits of the wing. This was on an airfield in northern France, can't remember exactly where.

Well, if you do it regulary I guess I have to test some more.

Last edited by Mags; 04-22-2011 at 07:48 PM.