Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Technical threads > Controls threads

Controls threads Everything about controls in CoD

Old 01-23-2011, 11:29 PM
Approved Member

Default Hotas setup for the upcoming Cliffs of Dover

Edit*Bought the CH Combatsick,Throttle Quadrant and Pro Pedals.

First of all Im new here so If there is a hardware section or similar where this should be posted please let me know.So right now I got a Logitech Force 3dPro which I've used for a whole year,the main problem it got is that the centering is terrible,causing unstable movements even when Im trying to fly straight(just cruising).My other problem is the twist rudder, which almost every time I press the trigger I twist the stick throwing my aim off.So since this game is coming pretty soon I figured out that it would be better for me to get a whole hotas setup instead of just replacing the stick to have a better experience and enjoy the game better.Im almost sure of what to get but would like some feedback.This would be the setup:

-CH Combatstick 568 USB
-Saitek Throttle Quadrant
-Saitek Rudder Pedals

I want to know if having saitek+ch would give me any trouble while mapping controls,also if anyone has any of these items or their counterparts(ch rudder pedals and throttle quadrant)please let me know what you think of it.
My budget is $300 including shipping.There are other setups in this price range as the G940 and the X-52/X65.But out of those three I dont like the looks of the x/52 and the whole idea of the force sensing on the x65 is not of my liking.As for the Logitech, the whole setup seems nice but after my experience with my current joystick and a lot of reviews of people complaining about various issues, I guess I wouldnt buy it either.

Last edited by Royraiden; 02-19-2011 at 10:28 PM.
Old 01-23-2011, 11:42 PM
Approved Member

Out of the parts that you consider, i only had the Saitek Throttle Quadrant and cannot recommend it.

The potis seem to be of pretty bad quality. One axis began to spike after 3 months of normal use (less then 10 hours a week). The second axis started with that problem one month later, i then had to replace the throttle quadrant (i used the X52 throttle [without stick] then).

Atleast 3 other people in my squadron had the same problem after about same use.

Some of those switched to a G940 and most are very happy with it, however, some have replaced the stick with a FFB2 (which they had before buying the G940). But overall, i think the G940 is better then its (or Logitechs) reputation.

I currently use a Hotas Warthog and Simpeds and am very happy with those too, but they are not in your price range.
Old 01-23-2011, 11:48 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt255 View Post
Out of the parts that you consider, i only had the Saitek Throttle Quadrant and cannot recommend it.

The potis seem to be of pretty bad quality. One axis began to spike after 3 months of normal use (less then 10 hours a week). The second axis started with that problem one month later, i then had to replace the throttle quadrant (i used the X52 throttle [without stick] then).

Atleast 3 other people in my squadron had the same problem after about same use.

Some of those switched to a G940 and most are very happy with it, however, some have replaced the stick with a FFB2 (which they had before buying the G940). But overall, i think the G940 is better then its (or Logitechs) reputation.

I currently use a Hotas Warthog and Simpeds and am very happy with those too, but they are not in your price range.
Thats the kind of feedback I was looking for.Just by reading reviews one could think that some of these products are excellent,but maybe that's not the case for some.My other option would be the CH throttle quadrant but that would cost me like $50 more.Did you have any problems mapping it?And what joystick were you using with the throttle?

Last edited by Royraiden; 01-23-2011 at 11:51 PM.
Old 01-24-2011, 12:10 AM
speculum jockey

The G940 still has the reversal bug issue with the throttle and the rudder. Also some units overheat after a few hours of use.

If you're getting one of the Saitek's be sure it's from a store near you so you can drive back and exchange it for one without spikey axis.
Old 01-24-2011, 12:14 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by speculum jockey View Post
The G940 still has the reversal bug issue with the throttle and the rudder. Also some units overheat after a few hours of use.

If you're getting one of the Saitek's be sure it's from a store near you so you can drive back and exchange it for one without spikey axis.
Im gonna buy the rudder pedals from a local Compusa,the rest from newegg.And those are the issues I was referring to.
Old 01-24-2011, 12:42 AM
Approved Member

Why not buy the CH rudder and throttle controls? I use that setup and with their programing software and profiles found on their website site setting these up is no problem at all.
Old 01-24-2011, 01:20 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meusli View Post
Why not buy the CH rudder and throttle controls? I use that setup and with their programing software and profiles found on their website site setting these up is no problem at all.
I've read that the CH pedals have almost no resistance and are too narrow.As for the throttle I like it but its like $50 dollars more.Since you got the pedals, how good is the resistance, and are they wide enough for you?I am a small guy so that might not be a problem, and they are available at the local compusa also.
Old 01-24-2011, 08:18 AM
Approved Member

i have the ch fighterstick now for about one month!i can really recommend it!!!before i bought it,i also asked here in the forum about opinions.it really helped me in making a decision.everything the members here told me about the stick was true.
as i think to know, the combat stick is the same as the fighterstick without the hat switches.the stick is really precise and fits perfect in hand.even after several hours nonstop gaming it still feels comfortable.and the other big plus is, that it really seems to be undestroyable.its built really solid.im really happy with it. for the other devices i cannot tell about, as i dont have them. but i consider to buy the trhottle and pedals from ch, as this company convinced me with its stick.
Old 01-24-2011, 08:38 AM
Approved Member

I have a CH fighterstick,CH pedals,and a Saitek throttle quad!
I cannot fault the fighterstick or pedals (apart for the pedals being narrow) I have had them for years,and they still work and feel like new.
The Saitek throttle quad,while a good concept,feels very flimsy,and one of the levers is malfunctioning,and does not register full movement anymore.
Old 01-24-2011, 08:43 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Did you have any problems mapping it?And what joystick were you using with the throttle?
No problems whatsoever (only used it with IL2, WoP and RoF). I really liked it alot, even though it does feel a bit too plasticy for its price.

But if it didn't have that spiking problem, i would still use it for some axes atleast. The concept is excellent, three levers and a few buttons, plus the ability to attach it to your table and combine multiple units. Too bad that the quality doesn't live up to that.

I used the FFB2 with the X52 throttle and Simped pedals.

I've replaced the FFB2 and X52 throttle with the Warthog in november. I can recommend both the FFB2 and the X52 throttle aswell, both worked very well for me.